LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
@LesW : I am interested as to why you prefer Mapsource. I used to use it but haven't since Basecamp came out.
As you say, I almost never accept the automatic route, unless it is for a very simple one, or an area totally unknown to me.
Basecamp was the preferred platform for garmin and as soon as garmin had it up and running they discontinued the support and updates for mapsource. (That’s what I used before going to basecamp)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Basecamp was the preferred platform for garmin and as soon as garmin had it up and running they discontinued the support and updates for mapsource. (That’s what I used before going to basecamp)
Perfectly true, however my Zumo 660 didn't like Basecamp, Garmin did state that it wasn't 'suitable' for Zumo units, though some people managed ok.

Though the support for Mapsource has finished it still works perfectly well with all the latest mapping, and as stated works extremly well with my wifes little Nuvi, and my recently aquired Camper 760.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Perfectly true, however my Zumo 660 didn't like Basecamp, Garmin did state that it wasn't 'suitable' for Zumo units, though some people managed ok.

Though the support for Mapsource has finished it still works perfectly well with all the latest mapping, and as stated works extremly well with my wifes little Nuvi, and my recently aquired Camper 760.
I’m really surprised your Zumo didn’t like basecamp, mine worked flawlessly, I did the updates on the unit regularly and it was great, even had a road showing whilst they was still constructing it somewhere in Germany, must have been 6 months in front!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
They seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

My latest update shows the new (unfinished) Huntingdon bypass on the A14..

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Just bought a avtex camper one plus (Garmin based)
Ive only used it a couple of times , at the moment I still prefer my old tomtom , I’m hoping I’ll grow to like it

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Just bought a avtex camper one plus (Garmin based)
Ive only used it a couple of times , at the moment I still prefer my old tomtom , I’m hoping I’ll grow to like it
In my humble opinion and I know I’ll get lambasted for this but.....

Anything is better than a tomtom, and again in my opinion, you will love it once you get used to it, especially if you’re doing intricate routing using basecamp! I expect if you’re going A to B any satnav would do the job but I have seldom used it for A to B only.

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
A great thing about Basecamp is that when Garmin updates the satnav maps (I have just updated to City Navigator Europe NTU 2019.30) it also updates the Basecamp maps if you choose.
Basecamp is also loaded with several Topo maps from the outdoor Garmin GPS, and also loads of free OSM maps.
I also have loaded a very good vector graphic map of Lake Constance (for sailing) which has every harbor, restricted zone, depth levels and warning signs.

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Last September I bought a TomTom sat nav and used it to find a farm in North Devon. It failed to even locate the hamlet so, in desperation I used Google maps on my phone and was directed right to the front gate.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I after trying many over the years and spending silly money on Tom Tom's and garmin have settled on the two have found most accurate. I am not a techno nerd so I wanted a reliable satnav to get me from A to B with sensible information such as asci and other club sites and fuel stations etc Also needed to be easily updated (free) so for past three years I have used Aguri 700 RV with built in dash cam and backed up with my Snooper Camper. These are the only ones that have ever kept me on the right road and have been simple to use. I like it simple.... So :france:

Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
Tomtom Go on android, £14.99 a year including traffic, cameras, maps
Just plan routes on Tomtom mydrive. It allows camper to be selected and vehicle size selection.
Why pay for a stand alone?
I have downloaded this on my LG phone but not yet paid anything. I already have a Tom Tom Go 5100 and the app seems to do all the same things. I only downloaded the app in order to use the 'camper' facility...but this appears to be missing? How do you get to the vehicle size selection facility? Does it only appear if you upgrade to the paid version? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Tomtom go can run routes for HGV and motorhomes, you just plan the route in the Mydrive app and it sends the routes to your devices.
SmartSelect_20190220-073054_MyDrive.jpg

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have downloaded this on my LG phone but not yet paid anything. I already have a Tom Tom Go 5100 and the app seems to do all the same things. I only downloaded the app in order to use the 'camper' facility...but this appears to be missing? How do you get to the vehicle size selection facility? Does it only appear if you upgrade to the paid version? Thanks.
You also need Tomtom Mydrive app and log into both, the Mydrive app is free.
Dont forget you can use your Tomtom subscription on more than one device and the Mydrive app will share your routes to them all if you want it to.
It will also send it to your Go5100 if logged in to the same tomtom email address

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have Aguri 720, and it's taken a while to learn to use its many facilities. It can access the internet so I can browse and do emails on it. It has a built in dash cam so I don'tr need a separate one of those. I think it's quite sophisticated, it has 1000s of campsites in UK and Europe including Acsi ones but I miss Tom Baker directing me on my (very) old TomTom. However I am getting to like the Aguri now.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Let me know how you go.
As far as I can tell you get all the benefits of a Truck/Camper nav for £14.95 a year, with no outlay for a unit that will become obsolete in 2 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back