LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
On the verge of getting a camper specific sat nav system and I thought I would put it out for “funster” consultation, all opinions welcome. I haven’t included TomTom as I don’t really get on with it (bad experience in Bolzano involving a van, 6 council workers and 8 Harley Davidson riders....don’t ask!!)

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Garmin, plus Google Maps and Waze, plus hard copy sometimes. Nothing is perfect and we've still been led astray even with this lot.

Still, it's far better than the olden days of paper only, especially at the end of a long drive when trying to find an unknown venue in an unknown town in the dark!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Tomtom Go on android, £14.99 a year including traffic, cameras, maps
Just plan routes on Tomtom mydrive. It allows camper to be selected and vehicle size selection.
Why pay for a stand alone?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
iGo Maps for me. (y)

https://www.igonavigation.com/

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Really?? We have igo mapping in the 14- Harley tourers, it’s hated for so many reasons!! Waypoints, route planning, alternative routing, clearing of waypoints in the memory etc, don’t even mention the complications of updating the units.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Really?? We have igo mapping in the 14- Harley tourers, it’s hated for so many reasons!! Waypoints, route planning, alternative routing, clearing of waypoints in the memory etc, don’t even mention the complications of updating the units.
Been using iGo Primo sotware and Truck maps in Chinese Sat Nav units for several years now, with greater success than TomTom. I wouldn't want to be without mine now. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Garmin truck navigator (Dezl series). No point in buying the ‘camper’ version as it’s based on the truck version with their choice of ‘camping’ poi files. I would rather add my own; e.g. Campercontact, Camping-car Infos, C&CC sites etc.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that

Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded it and it looks promising. Currently using CoPilot on both a 7" tablet and 5" phone, but if they are moving to subscription pricing, will be looking elsewhere. Also use ViewRanger with OS maps on a phone for hiking/cycling in the UK. Previously used a Garmin Camper satnav till I dropped it! Can't see the point of a dedicated device these days. I did like Autoroute on a laptop with a GPS dongle in the 'old days'.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I use an iPad, that way I get options on what I use depending on where I am. For uk often use Google maps, as traffic is so good. Also have copilot which I dislike, and Sygic which I prefer. If just buying a satnav you are stuck to that, it’s more difficult to update, can’t copy and paste details/address, smaller screen.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`ve just swapped the Garmin 760LM for a Tom Tom basic. The Garmin was overcomplicated and that made it very difficult to change route on the move. The T-T is simpler to set up and use IMHO. Never considered using the I-Pad, so have no idea what the s-p is on that. And any way it needs a substantial support bracket, and takes a lot of space up.

P.s. the Garmin is for sale soon as I get round to advertising it, along with a shed load of stuff we found as result of having to clear house after the August Flood.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
'Sygic' for me as well

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I cant understand why anyone would pay £300+ for a dedicated satnav when the tomtom Go app used with Tomtom Mydrive gives you all you need for £14.95 a year and you can run it on more than one device. Use it on my phone and tablets.

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a TomTom Camper Sat nav update it every month never had problem with it would recommend before that had to do a ten point turn in the dark never again! lesson learned.
Think mine is four years old now.
Jim

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
How many times do I have to tell you westy ,Aguri. It can even find its way around deepest darkest Yorkshire :LOL:(y)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Not so sure that was the best way for you lads maybe but over 3.5 tons and going back to God’s country maybe not :D

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Not so sure that was the best way for you lads maybe but over 3.5 tons and going back to God’s country maybe not :D
I think you went by tadcaster to top up your garage with beer from that famous “taddy” brewery;)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back