LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
It’s hardly an unbiased poll if you don’t include tom tom. What’s the point?
I didn’t include it because I don’t want to use it, I’m exploring other options, I have used, and still do on the bike, Garmin for years but I have an iPad and was exploring the apps against the Garmin for which I’m very used to using.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I cant understand why anyone would pay £300+ for a dedicated satnav when the tomtom Go app used with Tomtom Mydrive gives you all you need for £14.95 a year and you can run it on more than one device. Use it on my phone and tablets.
I can't understand why anyone would rely on a phone or tablet for navigation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Our Kenwood double din built in system uses garmin for its satnav but with CarPlay also installed we can swap over to google maps, tomtom on iPhone etc, best of all worlds! Like others also carry a paper map in case it all goes wrong!
Bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have been using a tablet with various sat nav systems for a while and have settled on Sygic which is easy to use and as good as any other for us. We also have an old Tom Tom as a back up (not worth a lot so no point in selling it).

One thing we have noticed is that sometimes tablets can't quite keep track of us accurately, this is because most don't have a dedicated GPS chip in them, in most cases we're usually in some obscure place but occasionally in places where it shouldn't make a difference, but does. Tablets which can take a phone sim can be more accurate as they can utilise the phone network to triangulate location as well, but we've still found that even with this ours isn't as accurate as a dedicated sat nav. We currently have a 10" tablet with a phone sim in (phablet?) and are looking to get a tablet with a dedicated GPS chip in to solve this issue.

As for going back to 'just' a dedicated sat nav ... no way ... much nicer on the larger screen and easier to use!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I can't understand why anyone would rely on a phone or tablet for navigation.

My reasons for my comment are.

Faster processing power from latest phone
Instant data and traffic with no set up
Any screen size you want ( run mine on a 10" tablet and 2 different sized phones)
As I can run it on more than one device I always have back up in case of loss or failure
Latest maps, traffic and speed cameras are instantly downloaded
No lifetime of device free maps to expire and make obsolete
Massive memory will never be full
Always have it in my pocket for walking and cycling
Integrates with android launcher for speech navigation
Can copy postcodes from any app or internet straight to nav
Can share route and position with other devices, so can programme route at home on PC, turn any of my devices on and the route is already there.
Backs up all my routs and settings to web, so can change device and not loser data.
Software on phone is always upgradeable
No upfront payment for stand alone device
Only £14.95 a year
Less dash clutter
Only 1 device to plug into power socket

Plus, just remembered. You can download any map worldwide for no extra charge.

And your reasons for your comment are?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
My reasons for my comment are.

Faster processing power from latest phone
Instant data and traffic with no set up
Any screen size you want ( run mine on a 10" tablet and 2 different sized phones)
As I can run it on more than one device I always have back up in case of loss or failure
Latest maps, traffic and speed cameras are instantly downloaded
No lifetime of device free maps to expire and make obsolete
Massive memory will never be full
Always have it in my pocket for walking and cycling
Integrates with android launcher for speech navigation
Can copy postcodes from any app or internet straight to nav
Can share route and position with other devices, so can programme route at home on PC, turn any of my devices on and the route is already there.
Backs up all my routs and settings to web, so can change device and not loser data.
Software on phone is always upgradeable
No upfront payment for stand alone device
Only £14.95 a year
Less dash clutter
Only 1 device to plug into power socket

And your reasons for your comment are?

Can it do 'point on map' navigation do you know? A feature I use alot for my work with a Garmin.

Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
I guess it depends what you want a satnav for. I use a dedicated device because I don't want to rely on a mobile phone network for my data. Mobile signals are not that reliable.
When I did use a phone app even with downloaded maps, the gps location wasn't great as someone else mentioned. I was quite surprised at times when it told me I was driving in a field alongside the motorway.
The Aguri 720 I have now has never failed me and it's Android based so I can still download stuff easily from the internet.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I guess it depends what you want a satnav for. I use a dedicated device because I don't want to rely on a mobile phone network for my data. Mobile signals are not that reliable.
When I did use a phone app even with downloaded maps, the gps location wasn't great as someone else mentioned. I was quite surprised at times when it told me I was driving in a field alongside the motorway.
The Aguri 720 I have now has never failed me and it's Android based so I can still download stuff easily from the internet.

Have never had issues using phone or tablet. Modern phones and tablets are not an issue with GPS.
Dont see how a stand alone would work any better with no phone service, we used our tomtom on a phone in the Caribbean with no data, even used it off shore on a cruise ship, never let us down.
Plus phones have the benefit of wifi and network data.
Ive had standalone units and would not go back to one.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We use Apple CarPlay - links to a compatible double din radio and you can mirror directly Waze, Google maps, or whatever navigation system you prefer. Waze is brilliant in the UK and Goole maps elsewhere.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

Hi. Can you add third party POI'S to the Aguri?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Have never had issues using phone or tablet. Modern phones and tablets are not an issue with GPS.
Dont see how a stand alone would work any better with no phone service, we used our tomtom on a phone in the Caribbean with no data, even used it off shore on a cruise ship, never let us down.
Plus phones have the benefit of wifi and network data.
Ive had standalone units and would not go back to one.
That's choice fair enough.. My choice is a 7"aguri stand alone unit. OK.?

BigStevie

Free Member
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
Since I was a lad
Not in this MH they aren't. In fact, I am thinking of treating myself to another, ie, either the XGODY 886 Truck Sat Nav, or the Android 7" Truck Sat Nav.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
I bought one of these cheap Chinese HGV sat nav units for my hi-top sprinter PV MH, an XGODY. I have to say that it does the job perfectly well for little money... and it comes with a big screen.... and all the bits and pieces... and it cost the price of a few cups of coffee. It was £35 off fleabay...
The cheap as chips twin reversing camera set up I bought is equally as good.

Yes, the finish is cheap plastic, but we're talking a small fraction of the price of a branded unit... Or is it that I'm just a tight old geezer?....

Stevie

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Friends we followed used google maps (i phone) ended up going through a housing etate, off main roads and through remote villages, not a good experience. Have never used a motorhome specific satnav, used the bike one for years. got caught out almost by low bridges a couple of times. Garmin thought foret trails were a good idea too. also like a mixture of maps satnav, look on pc and common sense.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Last time I used our tomtom last September... I switched it on... Usual wait while it boots up. Then searched for a campsite by name, punching each letter in very slowly so as not to overload the tiny processor "No place found" it exclaimed.

I could have gone and got the postcode at this point but thought bugger this and got my smartphone out. Google maps opened and started typing in the campsite name, before I'd even finished typing it in auto complete was suggesting the correct name and address. 2 more screen touches and 2.5 seconds later the route was calculated and ready to go.

I thought to myself the tomtom has got ONE job to do... Just one!.. It's speciality is navigation, you'd think it would excel at it. But no, they are cheaply made hardware with inadequate software.

I suspect people that like them don't do data or smartphones, or they would see the light.
:whistle:
:D

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We use maps .... the only use for a satnav is to find postcodes in UK towns ;)

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well, I think it’s the garmin camper. Tried co pilot, can’t figure that out!!
Tried Osmand paid the £2.99 for Europe and got the wheel of doom, got some places on a map of Europe, NO ROADS, put a route in, showed start and end point with NO ROADS in between!! I guess it’s not loaded properly.
I think I’ll stick with basecamp and garmin, used em on Harley for years with zero problems, thanks for your answers.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well, I think it’s the garmin camper. Tried co pilot, can’t figure that out!!
Tried Osmand paid the £2.99 for Europe and got the wheel of doom, got some places on a map of Europe, NO ROADS, put a route in, showed start and end point with NO ROADS in between!! I guess it’s not loaded properly.
I think I’ll stick with basecamp and garmin, used em on Harley for years with zero problems, thanks for your answers.
If you are going down that route ( :doh: ) have you seen this other thread?
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-if-anyone-is-interested.191836/#post-3211530

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
My vote is definitely for Garmin with Basecamp.
We go from Germany to Spain every Winter, Germany to England in the summer, and also do a lot of touring in Europe.
I can plan complicated routes in advance with Basecamp, which involves using scenic routes but making use of stretches of motorways to get around large towns or known congested areas.
I also use Basecamp to prepare walking and cycling routes, which can then be loaded onto an Garmin outdoor GPS.
I also use Basecamp to display actual tracks done while sailing, which have been recorded on an Android phone in Locus Pro and then exported.

Not recommended for everyone, but then I am a techofreak.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
My vote is definitely for Garmin with Basecamp.
We go from Germany to Spain every Winter, Germany to England in the summer, and also do a lot of touring in Europe.
I can plan complicated routes in advance with Basecamp, which involves using scenic routes but making use of stretches of motorways to get around large towns or known congested areas.
I also use Basecamp to prepare walking and cycling routes, which can then be loaded onto an Garmin outdoor GPS.
I also use Basecamp to display actual tracks done while sailing, which have been recorded on an Android phone in Locus Pro and then exported.

Not recommended for everyone, but then I am a techofreak.
My choice too, though I prefer Mapsource, rarely if ever just follow the route suggested by the device(s).

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
@LesW : I am interested as to why you prefer Mapsource. I used to use it but haven't since Basecamp came out.
As you say, I almost never accept the automatic route, unless it is for a very simple one, or an area totally unknown to me.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
I've been using Mapsource for many years, long before Basecamp became available.

I switched to Basecamp for a while until I discovered that 'Nuvi' devices could be setup for Mapsource, so went back to what I was happier with.

I find it a bit more 'simple' without the bells and whistles that Basecamp has.

I believe Basecamp was introduced mainly because Mapsource wouldn't run on Apple/mac stuff.

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for the info.
I wasn't aware of the Apple/mac connection.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We use Apple CarPlay - links to a compatible double din radio and you can mirror directly Waze, Google maps, or whatever navigation system you prefer. Waze is brilliant in the UK and Goole maps elsewhere.

CarPlay lets you use Apple or Google Maps and WaZe. I'm not sure that any other apps are CarPlay (or AndroidAuto) compatible. There has been talk of CoPilot becoming so. I'd expect others to join in if the market picks up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back