Best insurance companies & discounts for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
We are picking up our first MH on Monday (Autotrail Tracker 2005), and can anyone advise best Insurance co to look at? and any discount for going through any organisations like This one, or Caravan Club to name a few? Happy to join organisation if it means cheaper Insurance.

Also advice on Recovery company, you know, JUST IN CASE this noob make a complete has of things LOL!

Thank you

Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
AIB Insurance Brokers you can talk to a knowledgeable person who actually answers the phone and the price for mine this year was really good £292 for the insurance and £88 for the breakdown total £380 used them for years now.
Breakdown cover is UK and European cover and included repatriation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
IS, there any benefit (IE Discount) to joining a Club at all??
You can try both clubs, I think they will quote you members prices before you join. It seems hit and miss though, for some it's great, others not competitive, it's going to depend on your location to a great extent.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
AIB Insurance Brokers for me too with funster discount.
But insurance is risk based on individual circumstances so my advice would be to ring around.
Don't bother with usual comparison sites, I find they don't work for motorhome insurance and you may end up with non motorhome specific policy.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
I joined caravan and motorhome club last year thinking they'd get me the best deal but ended up getting insurance through Adrian Flux they were the cheapest for me by far. The only thing the club was good for in my opinion was ferries to France. I won't be renewing this year.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
AIB Insurance Brokers you can talk to a knowledgeable person who actually answers the phone and the price for mine this year was really good £292 for the insurance and £88 for the breakdown total £380 used them for years now.

+1

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
LV were best insurance by far for me - phone them as the website isn’t good for moho enquiries.

Nationwide Flex Plus current account for breakdown, travel insurance and other benefits.
Ditto both those

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Over the years I've found there is not a 'best' one. A lot depends on your circumstances. Young, retired, postcode, where you keep the van, make of base vehicle, where you want to go, how many miles you need, the list goes on. I'd say work out your priorities then have a search. We are currently with Caravan Guard, they ticked nearly all the boxes and we also got 14 days free drive away insurance.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
LV were best insurance by far for me - phone them as the website isn’t good for moho enquiries.

Nationwide Flex Plus current account for breakdown, travel insurance and other benefits.
This couple had an accident in Morocco. When they tried to claim on their LV insurance they found out they were not insured in Morocco, but surprisingly they were not even insured fully comprehensive in Europe.

They rolled they Motorhome onto its side on Morocco and tries to claim with LV. She tells her story about LV's cover at the end of the video. About 4 minutes into it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
This couple had an accident in Morocco. When they tried to claim on their LV insurance they found out they were not insured in Morocco, but surprisingly they were not even insured fully comprehensive in Europe.

And why was that?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

They rolled they Motorhome onto its side on Morocco and tries to claim with LV. She tells her story about LV's cover at the end of the video. About 4 minutes into it.

It happened in Spain.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Consistently when I have checked, and I do that annually, (hint) Caravan Guard have come second in terms of value.
I am a member of C&CC and that is my insurer.
I am not certain it would be the case if I had to join to get the rate.
As said, there is no 'Best' Insurance Co.
Age of driver(s) , Location of storage, Home address, mileage completed in year and last, but not least, type and value of 'van and contents.
They all play their part.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Over the years I've found there is not a 'best' one. A lot depends on your circumstances. Young, retired, postcode, where you keep the van, make of base vehicle, where you want to go, how many miles you need, the list goes on. I'd say work out your priorities then have a search. We are currently with Caravan Guard, they ticked nearly all the boxes and we also got 14 days free drive away insurance.
Yes there is no one Insurance that is best for the reasons you say. We're likewise with Caravan Guard (as advertised on the Vanbitz Website) and the 2 week window for getting the Vanbitz stuff done was helpful. They were the cheapest for me even beat the 2 Club quotes and their renewal this year went up less than £20 so renewed rather than do the ring round.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Certainly agree with a recommendation for LV, my renewal this year had gone up by about £30 which I the with the horrendous increases fro mothers insurers Is a great result.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
+1 on that

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Certainly agree with a recommendation for LV, my renewal this year had gone up by about £30 which I the with the horrendous increases fro mothers insurers Is a great result.

IIRC they were going to increase my policy by a similar amount this time around. I phoned them up to discuss renewal of my wife’s car insurance which was a few weeks prior to the moho. Ended up with the car insurance up very slightly and the moho less expensive than last year! Go figure!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back