Benidorm crackdown on mobility scooter's (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
BENIDORM INTRODUCES BANS ON MOBILITY SCOOTERS IN NEW CRACKDOWN ON ‘UNCIVIL TOURISM’
By
Laurence Dollimore (News Editor)
-
31 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12

Screenshot_20190331-200118.jpg

THEY have famously been dubbed ‘Madge-mobiles’ after one of hit TV show Benidorm’s most popular characters.

So it is with great irony that the tourist resort itself has decided to ban mobility scooters on the majority of its pavements.
The move, which carries a fine of up to €450, will also see Segways, hoverboards and motorised scooters from the town’s pedestrianised areas.

They are also banned in cycle lines and along the paseo.
The vehicles, a favourite among British tourists, have been branded a ‘menace’ and will be set a new speed limit of 12mph in other areas.

The new laws have come into effect after a two-year battle and seven attempts and follow a similar ban in Alicante.

Raunchy t-shirts are also banned as part of a crackdown on ‘uncivic tourism’.

It comes after officials seized 500 ‘offensive’ items – including lighters adorned with naked women – in raids on five shops on Calle Gerona Street and Avenida Europa.

:eek: So disabled people on mobility scooter's wearing
" Raunchy t-shirts" are banned as part of a crackdown on ‘uncivic tourism’. :LOL: Bob.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't they do this a year or two back?
Obviously didn't work that time either.
The users hire them so the hire shop will have the problem of recovering them if they impound them.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I don't know John, but they have many laws in Spain that get ignored most of the time, but they could fine you, because the laws in place. :D

I should think it will be your average mobility scooter rider will be OK, ;) but the hen parties and so on, will be fined, because thats the law. :LOL: Bob.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Apart from the tourists, many locals use them as a form of transport.
Over the years I have spent in Benidorm I know some people on the various campsites who are not disabled but use them to go up and down to the town or fetch the gas bottles.. Spanish families will have one to fetch the KFC !!!!

They do seem to bring in laws that are ignored at first but do eventually crack down on them. Once a few fines have been handed out and word spread they toe the line.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It first came up about 3 years ago. They were not allowed for people under 55 or if not disabled.

The problem was they zip along at 10+ mph and pedestrians feel as they're in the way, they were used as vehicles for people travelling a long way (Benidorm is big). If they limited them to walking speed they would blend in with walkers better, after all they are meant for people who can't walk anyway.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I'm still waiting for a reply from them, I asked if I need rear seat belts fitted. ;)

20190328_095822.jpg

Bob.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they are legally limited to 4mph on the pavement in the uk and 8mph on the road

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Althpugh I find the series very funny to watch .
I’d never go there , or use one unless I was disabled.
But hey ho . Each to their own what ever floats your boat .

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We are in Benidorm at the moment and they are still running round in the scooters they seen to be more double ones and they don’t look disabled more like hen parties the boys don’t seem to use them . Most of the hotels do not let them in now they have parking bay with EHU. out side . But if you are disabled I don’t think is a problem.to use them .the police don’t seem to bother with them .

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I know what that is without clicking on the link. The road must be one of the busiest in the whole borough, absolutely crackers, lol

Ah yes, I see you are a Meggie :)

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I thought this was an April Fool till I checked the OP's post time/date.

Where is Benidorm? It sounds as though it is close to Heaven's Waiting Room.
It’s a fab place lot of fun and drinking half necked girls sun and what Ever u want . IM IN THE WAITING ROOM.........LOL ........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back