Been to Europe at last. (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I wonder, does anyone have a guide or knowledge of the different GPS formats that are in use and maybe how to change one format into another ?
I tend to use the web apps and an oldish Tom Tom (either coordinates or town / street) together with a paper map for overview and never had too much of a problem. But I do sometimes see GPS coordinates In a different format and wonder why they use different formats.
Driving around France I do often wonder how folks ever found anywhere pre sat nav ?
It must have destroyed many a relationship and made the others very stressful !

There is a very simple App called “Co-Ordinates” it’s free I loaded mine from Apple,it’s very easy to use and converts any option.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No it means, I AM TOO STUPID to use them nobody has shown me, and the Tom tom 6000 has limited capabilities and no POIs and the fact the ones I was looking at were not correct on the map would have dragged me miles in the opposite direction because they were that far away.

Oh dear!!

I would invest in a decent sat nav. We have used the Garmin Camper and found it very good when finding sites and aires. It flags them up along your route and if you touch the icon on the screen it gives pretty full details of each of them including photos. It will make things so much more enjoyable for you.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our main sat nav is very flexible on the way gps coordinates are entered but we have app on Android called GPS Converter quick to enter, converts and if internet then lets you check on Google maps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
No it means, I AM TOO STUPID to use them nobody has shown me, and the Tom tom 6000 has limited capabilities and no POIs and the fact the ones I was looking at were not correct on the map would have dragged me miles in the opposite direction because they were that far away.[/QUOTE

I really feel for you as I would have been exactly the same as we have just got our first new moho and have been taking advice from every quarter on the best Sat nav,s, the best Apps etc etc.
I have heard of all of the apps that have been mentioned thus far, also The Maps-Me, but not being a techie, I would need someone with experience of how to amalgamate all these POI,s and other stuff before having the confidence to set foot out the country!, its hard enough to have to drive on the wrong side of the road, be able to interpret foreign language signs, let alone make myself be understood without having to resort to sign language!
But as mad as it sounds, we just cant wait for the weather to improve and get over there to experience it for ourselves. Just hope I am not in the divorce court on return, as I do panic and the French Blasphemy flows very fluently!!! :banghead:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It was NOT All the Aires ,but a French one in French leGuide Officiel Aires de Service Camping car There are loads of these guides on the market but the one I got was total poo. Learnt that one will not do it again. Bit like I will not park next to the Town clock in Rhinau, that was also next to the church. Boing-Boing-Boing every 15 minutes plus and the full load on the hour, they also had bell practice in the church . Earplugs helped.
Now you know which one is awful and where not to park. Not a dead loss then?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I did find something out, and that is the poor Frenchman who stopped me going forward and really smashing my wing on the pillar was wondering why I was jumping up and shouting SEAL, SEAL, SEAL. You will have to look that one up, but imagine what I was actually saying when I saw the damage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back