Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well we have finally got to go the the continent, and shipped out on the tunnel arrived in the dark at Calais so we parked up in a shopping car park Cite d' Europe, next day trundled off down to Charleville- Mezzieres and over the border to Luxembourg where we filled right up at 1.01 euro per litre. About what I was expecting and it was on the main autoroute. Onward to the Mosel, the place where we went on honeymoon 36 years ago, it hasn't changed much. Stopped on a vineyard with power for 10 euro which was good compared to UK, That is when I lost the EE phone system that I had to get set up again in Calais taking 51 minutes to get it done. A difficulty with the account not allowing phone and dongle on the shared account. So Phone from then on . We went up the Mosel and up the Rhine after getting lost in Koblenz ended up in a car-park as we could not find anywhere else, it turned out the parkplatz was half a mile on up the road. Railways and church and town clocks were an unpleasant intrusion with the noise almost as good as the Armee d'l air at St Etienne, where they we going off in F16s in pairs over us in the morning Went to the technology museum at Speyer and had to pay 16 euro to get in although the website said 8 , and stayed in the site the Wandered off up the Rhine hoping to get to Lake Konstanz and maybe visit The Hymer Factory site, but no I noticed that We would have to go through a little bit of Switzerland Where We would need to buy a 10 day tax ticket for about 30 miles across the sticky out bit. I was not willing to pay that as we would not use it up, so turned back into France again. Various zig zags around France and we found out that the worst book I have ever had, 'Aires de services camping car' Every site we looked like we were near wasn't the numbering system and names were very badly out by a long way, 40-50 miles some of them. Went to Epernay for one and it was closed so we ended up on the street.
We wobbled up France and stopped at one of the War Graves sites where my uncle was on the wall memorial. I had a cry at the sheer numbers of young boys and men that were there and noted the ages of the wasted generation lost and that was only a small site, Thousands of them, it made me angry at the waste of these young lives.
We went over to the channel and stayed at a very pleasant site by the side of the Somme estuary, next morning emptied the waste and filled some water then as I pulled away, A bang and the van would not move , I was caught on a short steel pole near the bund, one I did not see as it was so small but it smashed the nearside wheel arch cover, luckily We got the broken bits and I have now remade it and awaiting to paint it afterwards. We went to an aire at Wissant but was not impressed and it was blowing and raining very hard so I decided to carry on an pay the £20 supplement and come home on an earlier train, I did not fancy staying over there in the wet and windy. Got home OK but the poor van has now knocked up another 1800 miles. I must admit I was not impressed with how it went but I can put that down to inexperience and that bloody book. I have now got after recommendation better Dutch book written in English and far better presented. Next time I will make an itinerary and stop when I can still see where we are going.
Maybe Spain for the Christmas period to get away from the humbug.
I had to wait until I got to the EE shop before I got the trouble sorted out with the dongle, that didn't impress me at all, The second person I spoke to on the helpline, didn't want to know and told me it was my fault for not verifying the account detail on the dongle using my compute (at home) He just did not want to know. However the damage and the lost adblue cap didn't help, It fell in Hymer A class deep depths of depravity , also got stung for a 10 litre of adblue in a can because Mercedes do not give you a magnet on the adblue tank to all the pump to get the bulk price of .35 and I had to pay 1.85 euro for the same stuff in a retail pack. Leisure vehicle do no have the magnet, not that the nozzle would get into the bonnet space on my model. Anyway the learning curve is a bit flatter now, maybe I will not get so frustrated and angry now knowing more how things go.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well done you've done it now and everything will seem easier next time but you'll probably have something go wrong we always do and been at it six years now,just take it all in your stride and enjoy it.
As for Aires we use camper contact app and all the Aires (vicarious books)(y)(y)(y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ummm, not sure what to say but hopefully your next trip abroad will be more enjoyable.
Camper Contact or search 4 sites app on your phone are very good for finding sites.
Glad to hear you can fix the damage.
No knowledge of adblue magnet thing, my moho is from before such technological advances !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,look at it this way.....it can only get better,can’t it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Glad you got home safely. :) I suspect your problem with not finding aires where you expected them was to do with different coordinate systems, specifically the one which uses minutes and seconds and the one using decimal minutes. I doubt the book was that wrong but as already mentioned, CamperContact is all you need - but ideally you need a reliable Internet connection to use it at its best. So buy a MiFi and put a Three or Vodafone sim in it. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
glad you are home safe, welcome to my A class Mercedes world :LOL::LOL:

as DBK says get some decent internet next time all will be OK, we swear by the CC app (y)

It does bring a smile though that you live in Dover and have only just ventured across the water :)(y)

next time will be better I am sure (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@GWAYGWAY
Sorry that your trip went so badly and that you damaged your m/h. We did similar on our first trip with a brand new m/h. At the old Auchan filling station, Calais, we topped up then caught the skirt of the m/h on a high kerb around the pumps. We also picked up the parts, gaffer taped them in place, then used a fibre glass repair when we got home.

Don't understand your comment about "All the Aires" though. Only very rarely have we found directions wrong, usually when an Aire has been moved. I do agree though about the Aires Wissant. Wissant, and its beach are very good for a visit but the Aire is not.

Don't let your problems put you off going again. Pick better weather next time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Glad you got home safely. :) I suspect your problem with not finding aires where you expected them was to do with different coordinate systems, specifically the one which uses minutes and seconds and the one using decimal minutes. I doubt the book was that wrong but as already mentioned, CamperContact is all you need - but ideally you need a reliable Internet connection to use it at its best. So buy a MiFi and put a Three or Vodafone sim in it. :)

cannot use the co ordinate system but it was the fact that the numbers in the book held no reference whatsoever to the number in the maps and the details. total balls in the whole book I have bought camper contact and got the app as well now the other thing is going in the recycling bin.. Remember the song Lost in France, well that was us.
eg Challons sur Champagne has TWO aires in the vicinity 5119 and 514 however they turn out to be Sapincourt Near St Dizier and the other one was closed. It was similar in other places we looked for. the map and numbers were not where they were meant to be, sometime another name place gave direction to the one that should be there where we were..

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
glad you are home safe, welcome to my A class Mercedes world :LOL::LOL:

as DBK says get some decent internet next time all will be OK, we swear by the CC app (y)

It does bring a smile though that you live in Dover and have only just ventured across the water :)(y)

next time will be better I am sure (y)
Black hole, the cap dropped off the sill and fell but never made the floor. It is in there somewhere but I got my head stuck trying to find it, no doubt the rural roads will have made it drop out somewhere. I got a flexi camera out when I got home but could not see it anywhere so a new one is needed.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Well the only way to find out what it's all about is to get out and do it, and from there your next trip will be smoother, we never stop learning, Eddie always says if we get there and back and the van does nothing to really worry about, it will get easier, but I did struggle to find one of the options of like/funny or love it, so thought better luck next time.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hey, that wasn't so bad. Our first trip we broke down in the middle of the town of Düren and spent three nights on a garage forecourt waiting for a new alternator.....flipping expensive, I can tell you. So cheer up. It could have been much, much, worse. (y)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Ummm, not sure what to say but hopefully your next trip abroad will be more enjoyable.
Camper Contact or search 4 sites app on your phone are very good for finding sites.
Glad to hear you can fix the damage.
No knowledge of adblue magnet thing, my moho is from before such technological advances !
The magnet is meant to stop lorry drivers putting adblue in the fuel tank the magnet is to open the valve, mine hasn't got one and anyway the tank is under the bonnet so probably cannot get the filler in there, lucky to top up the washer reservoir and only with a long spout, supplied with the van but without the funnel on the end to get the fluid into the tank.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well at least you did it, the Mosel is nice and quiet but as you found out the Rhine is noisy. We used to use 'Aires de services camping car' never had much of a problem with it but you do need to understand French logic, now days always use apps mainly Camper Contact & Park4night. In your other thread I recommended you download Camper Contact it would have made life easy for you.
Although Germany is great in a Motorhome staying in France for your first trip may have been more relaxing.

I hope you are looking forward to your next trip.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Books are already out of date on the day they're published.

For navigating between overnight stops in Europe I use the Camping Car Infos website's free POI files for my TomTom, downloaded a day or two before we travel. They also do a free phone app.

Other providers are of course available, as outlined above, but digital is the way to do it.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Flippin' 'eck Graham! Sounds like an experience! A few of us single girls ventured over the Chanel in September and had various stressful times but compared to you I think we did ok! Like others have said though, it's all experience and you'll plan it better next time. We're already planning next year.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
PS. I also can't believe you've never done it before when you live in Dover! Then again, we never appreciate what we have on our own doorsteps do we?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
PS. I also can't believe you've never done it before when you live in Dover! Then again, we never appreciate what we have on our own doorsteps do we?
Mostly because the old van I didn't really trust it , the new one is still in warranty although they do no come to you. I live in Dover but the cost of the ferry is too high so we got a frequent traveler on the tunnel and shared, I have another return to use up. I live 6 miles from the tunnel and three from the port, but I and t'otherarf' get seasick, the tunnel is never rough inside

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Various zig zags around France and we found out that the worst book I have ever had, 'Aires de services camping car' Every site we looked like we were near wasn't the numbering system and names were very badly out by a long way, 40-50 miles some of them
Is that different from 'All the Aires'?
We've used All the Aires for over 12 years and except for ONE single Aire, the co-ordinates have been spot on. That one was Lurcy Levis and even the Gendarmes were unsure but we found it. Always remember the lilac butterflies. Beautiful small lakeside.
I've absolutely no difficulty with my Sat nav and All the Aires.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Another here who has had no problem with the Aires book.

You say you can't use the co-ordinates - does that mean you don't have a sat nav?

If you don't, the entries list directions to each aire - could you have used them?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I think the Aires de services Camping Car book is this one which is ony issued in French.

It actually says the following in the info section for this book:
Who Should Buy?
This guide is ideal for those who want a general overview of all kinds of stopovers in France, be it campsites, aires or general parking areas. However, the title can be misleading and anybody who would like a thorough book on French Aires only should buy All the Aires France.
https://www.vicarious-shop.com/prod...orth-and-south-2-together?variant=38537578450

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We use this and can definitely recommend it: -
Link Removed
Excellent information, not just on aires. As it's digital it's always up to date.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It will pay you to get someone to train you on the coordinates thing as they are pretty much unavoidable in Mainland Europe.
The higher up the learning curve you get the less stress you will
suffer and the more enjoyable it becomes.
I went up a similar curve in my first trip over there with my RV , even tho I had traveled extensively both in a camper and with a caravan .
There is always something new that you didnt fully expect .

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have used all the aires, campercontact, european aires book, along with our chinese sat nav and we got to pretty much all the places with the occasional exception where an aire had disappeared.
I now have a garmin sat nav and use "search for sites".
What we have done is given feedback on the sites we have used which gives enough points to enable downloading every site onto MAPS.ME (a free offline map app which happens to be a lifesaver)
I now use the aires book and a map to see where we might want to stop. when that is worked out i pop onto search for sites app and read about the aire and look at photos and reviews (this bit requires wifi or data transfer on your phone (which is free with three)) then we use the coordinates from search for sites for the garmin and turn on maps.me when we are about a mile away from destination.
I wont buy the aires books again and with this set up you dont have to pay for anything beyond a sat nav (all the aires are loaded up into the sat nav as well but its a bit awkward trying to locate them through favourites)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder, does anyone have a guide or knowledge of the different GPS formats that are in use and maybe how to change one format into another ?
I tend to use the web apps and an oldish Tom Tom (either coordinates or town / street) together with a paper map for overview and never had too much of a problem. But I do sometimes see GPS coordinates In a different format and wonder why they use different formats.
Driving around France I do often wonder how folks ever found anywhere pre sat nav ?
It must have destroyed many a relationship and made the others very stressful !

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is that different from 'All the Aires'?
We've used All the Aires for over 12 years and except for ONE single Aire, the co-ordinates have been spot on. That one was Lurcy Levis and even the Gendarmes were unsure but we found it. Always remember the lilac butterflies. Beautiful small lakeside.
I've absolutely no difficulty with my Sat nav and All the Aires.
It was NOT All the Aires ,but a French one in French leGuide Officiel Aires de Service Camping car There are loads of these guides on the market but the one I got was total poo. Learnt that one will not do it again. Bit like I will not park next to the Town clock in Rhinau, that was also next to the church. Boing-Boing-Boing every 15 minutes plus and the full load on the hour, they also had bell practice in the church . Earplugs helped.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Another here who has had no problem with the Aires book.

You say you can't use the co-ordinates - does that mean you don't have a sat nav?

If you don't, the entries list directions to each aire - could you have used them?
No it means, I AM TOO STUPID to use them nobody has shown me, and the Tom tom 6000 has limited capabilities and no POIs and the fact the ones I was looking at were not correct on the map would have dragged me miles in the opposite direction because they were that far away.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think the Aires de services Camping Car book is this one which is ony issued in French.

It actually says the following in the info section for this book:
Who Should Buy?
This guide is ideal for those who want a general overview of all kinds of stopovers in France, be it campsites, aires or general parking areas. However, the title can be misleading and anybody who would like a thorough book on French Aires only should buy All the Aires France.

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/prod...rth-and-south-2-together?variant=3853 7578450

THAT IS THE BAXXXXD the first one, I got that BY MISTAKE but thought it MIGHT BE OK. huh!
I have ordered the CAMPER CONTACT, online, and it arrived the day after we arrived back home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back