Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013, moved from towing caravans
Looking for some advice fellow members

Currently we have a transverse double bed and are thinking to change. First choice was an Island bed however have been looking at a twin single bed that can be changed to the large double.

Concerns are that we need to add infill cushions, takes me back to my unconformable caravan bed days!!
So couple of questions which I hope will allow you to share your thoughts;

1. How do you find this arrangement, practical and comfortable?
2. How do you do bedding?
3. Do you typically leave up or tidy back to single beds in daytime?

Thanks for your advice(y)

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
Yep transverse double has its obvious drawbacks, waking each other up if you get up at night. Not too keen on Island beds either. We have a twin singles layout and will buy the same layout again. It provides a massive space for a garage under the beds and a half height wardrobe and storage cupboard under the foot end of each bed, There is a small piece of mattress/cushion about 3ft long between the beds where your head and shoulders are and an extra bit to extend this if required. We’ve not used it as a double but I’d think you would make up the 2 singles with fitted sheets and use another sheet for the middle section then lay across it like a transvers double. This makes a double bed 4ft6ins x 7ft. You do end up with a bed made of infill cushions in the middle. Alternatively use two single duvets and lay lengthways and there is still support in the middle. I would think if you want a double bed most of the time maybe you need to buy a van with a fixed double. Like everything with motorhomes it’s a compromise.

Some pictures here...

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Yep transverse double has its obvious drawbacks, waking each other up if you get up at night. Not too keen on Island beds either. We have a twin singles layout and will buy the same layout again. It provides a massive space for a garage under the beds and a half height wardrobe and storage cupboard under the foot end of each bed, There is a small piece of mattress/cushion about 3ft long between the beds where your head and shoulders are and an extra bit to extend this if required. We’ve not used it as a double but I’d think you would make up the 2 singles with fitted sheets and use another sheet for the middle section then lay across it like a transvers double. This makes a double bed 4ft6ins x 7ft. You do end up with a bed made of infill cushions in the middle. Alternatively use two single duvets and lay lengthways and there is still support in the middle. I would think if you want a double bed most of the time maybe you need to buy a van with a fixed double. Like everything with motorhomes it’s a compromise.

Some pictures here...
We have the 2015 version of this but do not make the bed up into the large double as this is, in my opinion, a big faff! The beds are extremely comfortable as singles, the wardrobes very easy to get to.

Having had fixed double beds in the past we found that you tend to overload the storage underneath the bed as it is enormous and tempting, leading to weight issues. However the garage storage is invaluable and easier to reach and control what you carry.

Good luck with your search and I do hope you get as much pleasure from your final choice as we have had from ours.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Big problem with island beds is unless you go for a really tall van they severely restrict the garage space. We find twin singles a much better option didn't even bother ordering the extra bits to make them into a double. If we want a double we use the drop down bed in the cab, can be useful on steep slopes so we can sleep across the van when needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bluebob

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Thanks everyone for your comments. Not anyone using it as a double.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We have twin single PVC with potential to use as large double
Came from twin bed coachbuilt with same facility

We have never used as a double, sorry

If considering an island bed, measure the actual (not brochure) sleeping real-estate available, taking into account the usual ‘curve’ of the foot of the bed, which varies in pinch from one model to next

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The cushions that go between the twin beds were immediately put in the loft when we bought our Hymer over 3 years ago. Not seen them since. We use the beds as singles and they are very comfortable. We use standard single fitted sheets and duvets and leave them on all the time. We find this is ideal for us, as it enables us both to get up for a call of nature in the night without disturbing the other.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have the double transverse and he never notices when I climb over him during the night (rarely), nor do I notice when he is up (happens most nights).

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a PVC so no option for an island bed. We set it up as 2 singles with just the one infill cushion at the head end so it feels more like a double.
We use a fitted single on each mattress and a pillowcase around the infill cushion.
It’s easy to get up in night without waking each other.
It is very comfortable ... nothing like our hugely uncomfortable caravan cushions ... you have a proper mattress on these beds ... I also have a topper but OH doesn’t.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had transverse double beds on lots of MH/campers but this time went for twin single (or mahoosive king) but apart from the first night when we were picking the van up we've always used them as 2 singles, it has 3 cushions that go down the centre, we leave 2 in and the third 'shaped' one is stored at home in the wardrobe and won't come out again until we sell the camper! We bought it specifically for the ease of access/egress ... if we really want to use it as a double we can still do so cross-ways. :X3:

They are very comfy beds and wouldn't willing go back to a transverse double ever again.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have had a French bed, rear lounge making up into a large double and now an island bed.
The French bed had a large cut out at the end and Mrs A said it felt claustrophobic being between the wall and bathroom.
The rear lounge made into a large transverse double ( or 2 large singles, which we never used) very big and comfy but a pain to make up and put away, then there’s the bedding storage!
The island bed beats them all. We have a garage under the bed, but the interior of the van is over 2 metres high so no worries about restricted headroom.
And although the end of the bed is slightly rounded, it is long enough for me to sleep comfortably without losing my feet over the end. I’m 5’11”.

Some island beds though are quite narrow at the bottom.

OP
OP
bluebob

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
As usual brilliant feedback from fellow Funsters, thanks guys

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Thanks everyone for your comments. Not anyone using it as a double.

We did for a while and left it up as a double bed during the day - note you need huge sheets and is a pain to make up. Eventually try it as 2 singles as easier to get in and out of (double required ladder and single just the fixed steps)

Like it as singles now although miss the cuddles:D

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
The cushions that go between the twin beds were immediately put in the loft when we bought our Hymer over 3 years ago. Not seen them since. We use the beds as singles and they are very comfortable. We use standard single fitted sheets and duvets and leave them on all the time. We find this is ideal for us, as it enables us both to get up for a call of nature in the night without disturbing the other.

What we do now

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you want a double , then I reckon you forget about any that is made from a build up of singles or cushions , as the joins are always a nuisance . Like most compromises doesn't do well in reality

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our van is twin singles so (y) to @Lenny HB 's comment about getting the best garage space, we slept one night in this configuration and then thought b------s to that so I turned the bed bases around to make a transverse and with the extra space I built a trinket drawer and somewhere for an alarm clock and cup of tea.

Martin

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Had all configurations over the years but find twin singles over a garage ( Pilote 700gj ) works best for us. No hassle at bedtime and mattresses more comfortable than our expensive one at home.

Looked at the island bed option in the same van but seemed very cramped and narrow around the bed plus too many corners to stub toes on.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
We have a rear lounge we use as twin singles. I’ve pulled my bed base slightly out and stuffed some old pillows down the back to give me a bit more width (the Girlchild doesn’t need it) but we’ve been very comfortable when made up with the seat back cushions (it makes a ginormous double). Next van has a transverse double and drop down over the cab, so we’ve a double each. I don’t mind pulling out the bed, but I loathe having to rearrange and put away the bedding each day. I don’t even straighten the train wreck of pillows I sleep in at home, and we have proper duvets, too. Atm we each have a double duvet folded in half, but I’ll sort out sheets for the new one.

We might upgrade to twin singles over the garage, because I’m concerned that all the locker space is over the rear transverse bed, and I CBA climbing around on it to put things away. Steps seem worth it to me. Currently, I leave the beds up, and if we want to lounge, we lounge on then. It’s a nuisance having nowhere to eat though, so I’m glad we’re gaining a dinette (even if it does mean no worktop space!)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think twin singles is the most practical. Easier to make up and less van space consumed. Either party can get out without disturbing the other. We now have an island but I still think the singles are better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back