LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Are there any Rallies where we park up on the beach? I like the idea of throwing the door open to see and hear the surf. Obviously I mean a beach that would support the appropriate weight. Don't want to sink in the sand. There may be somewhere that had suitable hard standing adjacent to the sand. South wolf does but it is a difficult climb to the beach and they do not allow overnighting

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Pembrey has the most amazing beach ......rally there in sept and only a couple of hundred yards from the camping area......and you get to keep the sand out of your van !!!!(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Called in to Shell Island last week for a couple of nights. Sorry to all those who love the place but we were not impressed. Expensive, and totally overrun with young families in huge tents - okay it is the school hols - but not for us. No caravans allowed and they don't seem all that keen on m'homes either. Also you're right about rallies, they specifically will not accepy groups, although there did seem to be quite large family groups dotted about.

As for the beach, yes there is a huge lovely sand beach as well as a rockpool one, but access from the site is a bit limited.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Are there any Rallies where we park up on the beach? I like the idea of throwing the door open to see and hear the surf. Obviously I mean a beach that would support the appropriate weight. Don't want to sink in the sand. There may be somewhere that had suitable hard standing adjacent to the sand. South wolf does but it is a difficult climb to the beach and they do not allow overnighting
No idea but love the thought too

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Do they take rallies looks like a long wait to join?
Whenever we've been across there, there has always been a rally on. Lions, Rotary, New Forest. It's a great spot right on the water edge. There is cafe nearby too.

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
This is where the rally's are held
IMG_1983.PNG

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@big map are they Def rallies Andrea as we'd checked that out a couple of times, fabulous spot but last I saw it was owned by the council & they're seasonal pitches & a 2 yrs waiting list:cry::cry::cry:

Love parking up down there

Edit : sorry Andrea, just read your previous posts....Trying to multitask which also includes the magnum;):D2

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Definitely rally's. We've seen the little signs they put up with Dorset DA or New Forest DA. I will Facebook a friend who organises rally's for c&cclub and see how she books.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Called in to Shell Island last week for a couple of nights. Sorry to all those who love the place but we were not impressed. Expensive, and totally overrun with young families in huge tents - okay it is the school hols - but not for us. No caravans allowed and they don't seem all that keen on m'homes either. Also you're right about rallies, they specifically will not accepy groups, although there did seem to be quite large family groups dotted about.

As for the beach, yes there is a huge lovely sand beach as well as a rockpool one, but access from the site is a bit limited.

Terry I really can't beleive you went there in the school holidays:Eeek: you must have thought the world had gone mad, imagine wide open spaces as much room as you want no children it's a totally different place.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@TerryL shell island is much nicer out of the busy season. You really went at the wrong time lol
Terry I really can't beleive you went there in the school holidays:Eeek: you must have thought the world had gone mad, imagine wide open spaces as much room as you want no children it's a totally different place.

Yeh, realise that now. It was just that after Malvern we fancied staying out a few days and haven't been to the Welsh coast for ages. The name just cropped up and I thought we'd give it a try. Still thought it a bit expensive, £42 for 2 nights - does it improve out of season?
But our next stop was much better - like free! A nice Britstop at Broughton, Offas Dyke pub, can recommend it. You probably know it Carol, isn't it in your neck of the woods?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Yeh, realise that now. It was just that after Malvern we fancied staying out a few days and haven't been to the Welsh coast for ages. The name just cropped up and I thought we'd give it a try. Still thought it a bit expensive, £42 for 2 nights - does it improve out of season?
But our next stop was much better - like free! A nice Britstop at Broughton, Offas Dyke pub, can recommend it. You probably know it Carol, isn't it in your neck of the woods?

Terry we are 5 minutes away from there, would have met up. x

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
IMG_20150520_174729.jpg

This was taken a year or two ago from the site:):):)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Called in to Shell Island last week for a couple of nights. Sorry to all those who love the place but we were not impressed

Same here.

Went there once and can't think of any way we could ever be persuaded to go back.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I phoned Calshot, the rally field can only be booked by club members of Calshot.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

You need to have more worry in your life so that you get wrinkles.... it costs me £35 for seven nights.. :) ... also only about ten yards from the long deserted sandy beach....... :) Trouble is finding a week when it isn't very windy, and that the dolphins are willing to put on a show.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Do you read that as you pay £56 for a years parking & could pay £5 to go on the wait list for the site but in theory could book a rally or would that have a daft waiting list as well?

Do they have the rallies next to the site? I don't think I've seen one.

There's so much room down there. I know they wouldn't t want to spoil it but they could make another site with touring pitches quite easily

@big map

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's

Sorry you didn't enjoy shell island , we've been on numerous occasions and always had a great time , sat outside the van, practically on the beach and watched the dolphins, didn't find it expensive, and have always been made welcome, and the Sunday lunch in the restaurant was spot on, ( fresh veg ,roast lamb and a sweet trolley full of home made deserts ), can honestly say it will go down as one of the better Sunday lunches we have had .Mind after saying that we did once go when the kids were off school , big mistake , a completely different place.
MewnMick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back