BBC item: Van Life (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Firstly, I am not a "full timer", just a softy weekender but saw the attached article below on the BBC News today and thought it was going to be a very enlightening read.
It's a relatively long report but as I read it through I discovered that it was a slightly misleading article ( I guess I should apologise if the couple are here on this forum, but hayho).
In general terms it sets out to inform us of a couple who, after some life-changing experiences, decided to move out of their home and set off across Europe in a MH. They wax lyrical about this way of life together with their dog(s), getting away from it all. It sounds really idilic.
However it appears that from time to time they do paid house-sitting to raise money, they rented another house for a while for their dog to have its litter and finally it appears they are currently not even living together, being in different countries to each other - one in the MH, the other in a house somewhere!
Luckily they are able to rent out their own house to receive an income (but good luck to the friend whose loft is being used for storing the couple's possessions).
So after reading this, I hazard a guess that there may be people on this forum who better fit the title "...couple's six years on the road (and counting)" and this is a slightly ambiguous and rather lazy news report about a couple who are living in a MH most of the time.....
It's a pity the BBC didn't bother to find a couple really living on the road for 6 years (and counting), which might have been a more interesting article.
Sunday Soapbox finished!

No offence intended to anyone

Van life: Durham couple's six years on the road (and counting) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54842438

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I think it was more a nod to the guy nearly dying and giving everything up to completely change his lifestyle more than just having a look at 2 random people living the van life.
Agreed. I particularly enjoyed the positive tone of the article.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thread already running

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thread already running

It appears this IS the thread.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
They are Esther and Dan who wrote the books about their dogs that my wife illustrated.

They are members here as Esther_99 but don't often post as internet is not always possible.

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
They are Esther and Dan who wrote the books about their dogs that my wife illustrated.

They are members here as Esther_99 but don't often post as internet is not always possible.
What's the book can people still buy a copy?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
they have a website and blog here in the link below with details of their adventures and books..

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It is refreshing to see people who decide to have an alternate lifestyle just like the finish vantastic couple. They will have their own challenges living full time in a small space but also having some amazing adventures food for them 👍

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We also know Dan & Esther & are very shocked at the news that Esther is missing. Really hope there's a positive outcome.
I was just going to message you to see if you had heard anything from her. She emailed me on 12th Nov.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Let’s hope for the best, they sound like a couple who can both look after themselves.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Report was confusing as to whether it is she or he who is in the MH. It seemed to say she was staying somewhere while he travelled in the MH.

Anyone know for sure?

Geoff
I seem to remember reading that it’s her that was in the van and is now missing. He is house sitting somewhere in France.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Report was confusing as to whether it is she or he who is in the MH. It seemed to say she was staying somewhere while he travelled in the MH.

Anyone know for sure?

Geoff

It isn’t a very good article but I think it was she travelling in the van and he was staying at a farm In France.

Have they found the van?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

Anyone know for sure?

Geoff

711401C5-9E98-4643-9C7A-3B0E85888FA7.jpeg

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It isn’t a very good article but I think it was she travelling in the van and he was staying at a farm In France.

Have they found the van?
Not seen any updates for a while. Hope they find her soon the weather sounds to be getting worse for surviving in the mountains. Hope she is an experienced mountaineer and properly equipped.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Anyone know for sure?

Geoff
Definitely Esther who was travelling in the van and now missing. I knew she was travelling by herself and he was caught up in lockdown in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back