Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So i'm fitting in the 3 x Varta LFD 90 batteries into our MH and need so advice re battery venting , each battery has 2 vent holes in them ( one at each end ) do i have to run 6 separate vents down through the floor or can i like series link them with the likes of fish tank airline , so battery 1 left vent >> battery 1 right vent >>> battery 2 left vent >> battery 2 right vent >>> battery 3 left vent >>> battery 3 right vent >>> to through the floor of the MH , sure this would work ok as the path of least resistance for any gasses is through the floor.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
You will probably find that you only need one vent per battery, I have 3 batterys with six vent holes. If you blow into one of the batteries via the (clean) tube and block the other with your finger it will probably confirm it.

So to keep my system tidy I used a bit of duct tape to block up the vent hole on the opposite side of the battery and just had three. I put all mine through to the outside but you could use a tee piece to link two into one if space is a problem. My batteries are under constant float charge, including my cab battery (solar and B2B) and have been for three years with no problems.

They never gas off under huge pressure, but just be a bit sensible about it all, no chance of kinks in the tubes etc etc.

**DISCLAIMER**
If you blow yourself up however I accept no responsibility for any advice taken!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Does a Varta LFD90 need venting? A and N Caravan Services suggest this may not be required.
"If you need a battery that is safe inside the vehicle without a vent, then we think the Varta LFD90 is the only option, safer even than Gel or AGM."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Does a Varta LFD90 need venting? A and N Caravan Services suggest this may not be required.
"If you need a battery that is safe inside the vehicle without a vent, then we think the Varta LFD90 is the only option, safer even than Gel or AGM."
If it does not need venting then why make it with vent holes ????

Reactions: DBK

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The Bosch Powerframe info (which is the same construction as the Varta LFD90) says all evaporated liquid remains and re-condenses in the battery.
Why the vent holes ???
Bosch%20Battery%20technology.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Your terminal post covers should have a little cap on it which you twist off and put in the redundant vent hole.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The Bosch Powerframe info (which is the same construction as the Varta LFD90) says all evaporated liquid remains and re-condenses in the battery.
Why the vent holes ???
Bosch%20Battery%20technology.jpg
Perhaps the vents are sealed, but weakened so if pressure builds up it will pop them and vent safety. :cool:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They may not need venting normal use but it is a safety precaution if say the charger goes faulty and overcharges them, if they are inside the habitation area it would be fool hardy not to vent them.

You should only use one vent hole and leave the blanking plug in the other. Just join the vent pipes with T pieces and then you only need a single hole through the floor.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
They may not need venting normal use but it is a safety precaution if say the charger goes faulty and overcharges them, if they are inside the habitation area it would be fool hardy not to vent them.

You should only use one vent hole and leave the blanking plug in the other. Just join the vent pipes with T pieces and then you only need a single hole through the floor.
What would your thoughts be on fitted in an external locker that's "sealed" from the hab area? Guess, no probs?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What would your thoughts be on fitted in an external locker that's "sealed" from the hab area? Guess, no probs?
No problem if there is airflow through it, if it is sealed to the elements I would still vent as hydrogen gas is highly explosive.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Your terminal post covers should have a little cap on it which you twist off and put in the redundant vent hole.
Thanks ill have a look tomorrow and see yy yy
Perhaps the vents are sealed, but weakened so if pressure builds up it will pop them and vent safety. :cool:
Nope they are both open ( one at each end of the battery ) as i connected a hose to one today and blew through it and the pressure came out the other hole..

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks ill have a look tomorrow and see (y) (y)

Nope they are both open ( one at each end of the battery ) as i connected a hose to one today and blew through it and the pressure came out the other hole..

But are they connected to the cells? Try sucking and see if you burn your tongue :LOL:

Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
I asked Alpha Batteries last week when I bought 2 x LFD and they told me they are not required

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
They're VRLA (valve regulated lead-acid) batteries. In normal use, any gas evolved during charging is recombined inside the battery so no vent is needed, and no water is lost. Under fault conditions (most likely dodgy charger or short circuit), gas can be produced at too high a rate causing the pressure inside the battery to rise, in which event a pressure relief valve opens and vents the gas out through the little tube to stop the whole thing exploding. In the case of high charging voltage this is likely to be hydrogen (explosive in low concentrations), and in the case of short circuit or internal fault it could be steam and/or hot acid (generally nasty and unpleasant).

Only one vent connection on each battery is needed - plug the other one as described above.

FWIW, I'd run a vent tube from each battery through the same hole in the floor. That way, you can tell (by condensation inside the vent pipe, etc.) if one of the batteries is venting, even at a low level.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I asked Alpha Batteries last week when I bought 2 x LFD and they told me they are not required
Cool thanks for the info , i'm going to vent them anyways as there is already a vent hole about the thickness if a finger through the floor right beside the battery bank anyways , and i'd feel happier with them vented saying as i'm using the likes if a 60A B2B charger which i've seen pump like 50 amps into my last battery bank.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Only one vent connection on each battery is needed - plug the other one as described above.

FWIW, I'd run a vent tube from each battery through the same hole in the floor. That way, you can tell (by condensation inside the vent pipe, etc.) if one of the batteries is venting, even at a low level.

Yip i've been out and seen that the vent hole that is there already is large enough for 3 breather pipes ,, so i'll do exactly this and run the three pipes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back