lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Some of you will have read my post from the other day regarding a second battery, I had ordered a Vatra 95AH dual purpose AGM to match the one already fitted. I thought I'd go one at a good price but it turns out even though it was advertised as in stock they don't actually have one.

I then phoned Tayna batteries as I've dealt with them before and they were very helpful. The guy there said my battery had been discontinued but he could do a car battery which was the identical battery, I'm not sure about that so what do you guys think.

Link to car battery

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Varta-Car-Batteries-S218-1.html?ordering=&A-15=Varta Start-Stop&A-22=95

Link to my current battery
https://www.tayna.co.uk/Varta-Professional-Leisure-Batteries-S285-1.html?ordering=&A-22=95

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You don't say who you tried first but justcarbatteries.co.uk are showing an LA95 at £157.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You don't say who you tried first but justcarbatteries.co.uk are showing an LA95 at £157.
That's who I tried, they said they actually had 3 in stock but they where being returned to Vartra as faulty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my advice is that they dont discontinue a fairly recent battery for no reason. if one supplier has 3 faulty ones in stock to return, that is an unacceptable failure rate

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How about the Varta LFD 90 I mentioned in the previous thread?
If you register for Tanya's newsletter the email you a 10% discount code

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
How about the Varta LFD 90 I mentioned in the previous thread?
If you register for Tanya's newsletter the email you a 10% discount code
I only need one Robert and as I have a 95ah these wouldn't be a match if I'm correct, I'm now thinking just keep the one until it's dead and then buy 2 new ones at the same time.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
my advice is that they dont discontinue a fairly recent battery for no reason. if one supplier has 3 faulty ones in stock to return, that is an unacceptable failure rate
I did ask this question to Tayna and they will still give a 2 year warranty if I use it as a leisure battery and 4 if used as car battery.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
so long as you have the same type, as in agm and a similar age, it is fine to mix capacities. the charging circuits just see one big battery

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
so long as you have the same type, as in agm and a similar age, it is fine to mix capacities. the charging circuits just see one big battery
I thought they had to be the same ah or the lower would draw the higher down, I suppose 5ah isn't much though

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I thought they had to be the same ah or the lower would draw the higher down, I suppose 5ah isn't much though
not necessarily correct if they are in the same condition. if one is older it will be more sulphated and therefore will not charge as well, and this will pull a newer battery down

as you say 5ah is negligible on the overall battery size

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It would be different voltages that would drain one down, for example lead acid would pull down a Gel.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some of you will have read my post from the other day regarding a second battery, I had ordered a Vatra 95AH dual purpose AGM to match the one already fitted. I thought I'd go one at a good price but it turns out even though it was advertised as in stock they don't actually have one.

I then phoned Tayna batteries as I've dealt with them before and they were very helpful. The guy there said my battery had been discontinued but he could do a car battery which was the identical battery, I'm not sure about that so what do you guys think.

Link to car battery

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Varta-Car-Batteries-S218-1.html?ordering=&A-15=Varta Start-Stop&A-22=95

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Varta-Professional-Leisure-Batteries-S285-1.html?ordering=&A-22=95
So he is saying the leisure battery is really just a starter battery.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I only need one Robert and as I have a 95ah these wouldn't be a match if I'm correct, I'm now thinking just keep the one until it's dead and then buy 2 new ones at the same time.

that's what I am doing, removed one duff battery the other is now performing well, had more than half of our February trip round France off grid, albeit moved every day, but since have done Thetford, with plenty of sun in fairness, absolutely no issues on just one battery with only 100W solar (y)(y)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So he is saying the leisure battery is really just a starter battery.

Martin
He said it's a dual purpose for stop/start technology and his words "technically it's the exact same battery"

Think I will leave it until this one is dead then buy two 90ah for the price of one 95ah.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, better get the seat refitted since we're heading away for the weekend :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I bought our Varta 140 Ah from Tayna and it all went very smoothly. I drove over to their premises to collect as it was a fair bit cheaper than paying the postage.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

Link to car battery

I have it on good authority that the Varta LA range is not discontinued. I suggest you contact Varta support to clarify, and enquire regarding the advice that the G14 alternative is the same.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just wondering what you decided in the end @lorger ? We're in the same situation - brand new Hymer with LA 95 Varta battery. We'd like to fit a second one, but I can only find an LA95 in Germany, at £181, with £17.50 postage!
Wondering whether to just stick with the one battery, or whether it would be a problem to fit the lfd 90 in tandem with it.
All advice gratefully received :).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just wondering what you decided in the end @lorger ? We're in the same situation - brand new Hymer with LA 95 Varta battery. We'd like to fit a second one, but I can only find an LA95 in Germany, at £181, with £17.50 postage!
Wondering whether to just stick with the one battery, or whether it would be a problem to fit the lfd 90 in tandem with it.

The LA is an AGM battery and the LFD is flooded lead so I would say no don't mix them.

Martin

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
What about the 90 AH, would that be any good? Sorry, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this sort of stuff :oops:.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What about the 90 AH, would that be any good? Sorry, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to this sort of stuff :oops:.
A 90ah with a 95ah isn't a problem as that is just the capacity, the potential problem exists when you mix two different types of battery as they have different charge regimes in this case you would be mixing AGM (absorbed glass matt) against a LFD (flooded lead acid) or should that be "lead flooded acid".

For me is you are staying with the original AGM you would be better off mixing it with another AGM even if its from a different manufacturer.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do what I did, ditch the AGM and put a couple of Gel's in (I put 3 Gel's in). AGM's aren't worth the risk even with the correct chargers they are still failing. The ones the manufacturers are using are dual purpose batties they are really a starter battery for stop start cars IMO not suitable for lesiure use. There are proper AGM batteries for leisure use I don't know how they perform but they are very expensive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun