mike_hafryn

Free Member
Sep 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic
Exp
On and off since 2010
My leisure battery completely discharged over the last lock down and my old battery charger seems to have gone the same way as it only puts out 3v. Bought a new charger from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B08K8SVQQ7and ran it in 'repair mode' for about 24 hours which left the battery fully charged at over 12v.

We've been out for the day today, have driven about 50 miles, used very little power (water pump to fill kettle once plus 3 short loo flushes) and charge is now under 11v. With the engine running there's just over 13v at the battery terminals so I'm guessing it's not charging and is knackered.
If this is the case should I consider replacing it with a 'direct replacement' LIFEPO4 battery - any thoughts/advice welcomed!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Battery conditioners are like snake oil, if a battery is goosed, it's goosed.

If this is the case should I consider replacing it with a 'direct replacement' LIFEPO4 battery -
No such thing, sales BS, although you can often get away with the mains charger you will need a B2B and solar regulator that have Lithium profiles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike_hafryn

mike_hafryn

Free Member
Sep 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic
Exp
On and off since 2010
Battery conditioners are like snake oil, if a battery is goosed, it's goosed.

No such thing, sales BS, although you can often get away with the mains charger you will need a B2B and solar regulator that have Lithium profiles.
Fair enough! I don't have solar at the moment though - on the shopping list for this year so presumably this isn't an issue for now if I go Lithium?

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If everything was OK before, just replace it, like-for-like.
Lithium is not cheap and would require additional changes and expense.
You may decide to change the van before long, so replacement (I think) is likely to be a much cheaper solution in the long run.
I'd try to suppress desires to acquire more toys for your hobby. Use your savings to get out more, instead!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fair enough! I don't have solar at the moment though - on the shopping list for this year so presumably this isn't an issue for now if I go Lithium?
Lithium gives you the best adva tage if you spend most of your time off grid. If you mostly use sites with EHU there is no point in going to Lithium.
If you are going to go off grid you need a decent amount of solar to take advantage of fast charge rates of Lithium.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Blimey he only posted 25 min ain't I allowed dinner.
You are aware of the high standards this forum maintains and of the corporate moto!

A Funster in need,
Out ranks Lenny's big feed!

So, get on with it!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now if you had said "ain't I allowed a drinkie poo" that's a different matter 'cause,

A Funster in need,
Can only plead,
When Lenny's on the mead!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How old is the old battery and has it worked well for the way you use your motorhome in the past?. If it's been ok just get a straight replacement. Were still on our original battery 7 years on its a fairly cheap numax that came with the MH when it gets dodgy I'm just going to get the same again.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back