Battery flat can anybody help ? (2 Viewers)

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi
We are currently in northern Spain and have a problem. The cranking battery on the MH has gone flat in a matter of minutes when I plugged into the mains on the campsite. The onboard charger is saying that there is no mains connection when there is, the battery test lights on the panel are showing leisure battery fully charged but cranking battery is in the red and the 12v system ok light is flashing. I have disconnected from the mains but it’s still the same with the main battery. Has anybody any ideas ? . The engine will not now turn over in fact no lights will now come onto the dash and it looks like we will have to call for breakdown assistance.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
If it is a Fiat Ducato check a Midi fuse next to the engine battery hasn't blown. May be that your engine battery has died. Leisure batteries and engine batteries have a finite life, don't last forever { unfortunately }. I always carry a booster 12V pack just in case I cant start the van. I'm hving a new alternator fitted to My Honda CRV today as that has packed in. AA man should have test equipment to check your electrical system. Ask if anyone can start with booster cables ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Use the hab battery to jump start the engine if you can find someone with / have a set of jump leads. Then drive to a garage and don't turn it off. Let them investigate the issue before spending any money on parts.
As David says, may be the alternator

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Yes that’s correct. Plugged in and noticed that the light that signals the 12v system is ok started flashing and the light that signals you are connected to the main is not lit when it should be. I tried to start the car after disconnecting the mains and just a click then nothing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
By the way it’s a Renault Master 2008.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
If it is a Fiat Ducato check a Midi fuse next to the engine battery hasn't blown. May be that your engine battery has died. Leisure batteries and engine batteries have a finite life, don't last forever { unfortunately }. I always carry a booster 12V pack just in case I cant start the van. I'm hving a new alternator fitted to My Honda CRV today as that has packed in. AA man should have test equipment to check your electrical system. Ask if anyone can start with booster cables ?
The main battery is new as it was fitted the day we bought the MH 4weeks ago. I am just charging up my jump charger as we used it last night on an aire to run out 12v fan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I’ve done that thanks. Is there anyway this could be caused by a loose connection or some sort of problem on the leisure battery ? They are not connected are they ?

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
More likely the starter battery. Give the terminals a good twist to see if they are loose.

The batteries are 'connected' but only through the chargers. Not directly connected.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
More likely the starter battery. Give the terminals a good twist to see if they are loose.

The batteries are 'connected' but only through the chargers. Not directly connected.
The problem is what has caused it as it was new 4 weeks ago. I have a bit of knowledge about car electrics but all the motorhome stuff is new to me.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you have a multimeter or any means of checking the starter battery voltage other than any gauges in the van?
I suspect there's not a problem with the battery but you have an earth problem or corroded live terminal at the starter motor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Could the onboard battery charger cause this when you plug into the mains ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi John unfortunately not. But that’s a good call. We now have the breakdown company coming out in an hour. Thankyou

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
My ctec battery charger says the battery is nearly fully charged but when I crank it the lights go out as though there is a short or like you say a bad earth.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
The on board battery charger would not cause an instant discharge of the starter battery and if it did it would be accompanied by a LOT of magic smoke!
If your CTEK charger (which I assume is separate to the camper) is showing the starter battery is fully charged it could indeed be a badd earth or a failed starter even... Without even a multi meter or much knowledge on what to look for, then the recovery call was indeed your best choice.
Good luck and let us know what it turned out to be... a four week old van my guess is something's come loose.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The main battery is new as it was fitted the day we bought the MH 4weeks ago. I am just charging up my jump charger as we used it last night on an aire to run out 12v fan.
Why was the battery replaced? Often the battery problem is a symptom of an underlying cause, and a new battery just masks the problem until it shows up again a few days/weeks later.

Also the term 'main battery' is confusing. Different people use it for either the starter battery or the leisure battery. Which battery was the new one?

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Check the earth strap from the body to the back of the clutch housing, I broke down and the Rac man fitted a second earth lead. Problem solved.

We had problems with the cab-side electrics giving up the ghost and requiring a flat bed home and that turned out to being no earth strap fitted.
Made up an earth strap and fitted it and bingo all was good after that.

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
We had a van at work on the pitch. Engine battery continually flat 'all' the time. New engine battery fitted quickly went flat. Turned out the leisure battery was no good and that was dragging the engine battery down.
Disconnect the EHU. Put on all your 12V lights { unless they are low consumption LED lights}. If they quickly go dim your leisure battery has failed a simple load test.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We had a van at work on the pitch. Engine battery continually flat 'all' the time. New engine battery fitted quickly went flat. Turned out the leisure battery was no good and that was dragging the engine battery down.
Disconnect the EHU. Put on all your 12V lights { unless they are low consumption LED lights}. If they quickly go dim your leisure battery has failed a simple load test.
Which means the two batteries where permanently connected anyway which of course it shouldn't be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aerialmark

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi I am so sorry I have not been back but shortly after the breakdown service ( and I use that term very loosely!) arrived there was an electrical storm where we are in the Pyrenees and it knocked out all the communications. It has just come back on.
The chap they sent had less idea than me as he was only a flat bed driver and not a mechanic. His only tool was a battery tester which when he jump started the van showed 13v and a alternator ok. We left running for 20 mins but when turned off and in again no lights nothing. He said he couldn’t help but could sell me another battery which I refused. I managed to get back in touch with DAS and told them that although the battery was flat there was an underlying problem which needed investigation. I said that the chap was a little out of his depth and just wanted to sell me a battery and go so could we have a proper breakdown service ? I was then informed just before the storm hit that I will have to wait until Monday when another firm will come and recover the van. Strange things are happening like the water pump is very slow even thought the leisure battery is fully charged. The cranking battery shows 3/4 charged 1 min then in then in the red the next time I look. Both batteries are new as of 4 weeks ago. All lights work ok but they are led and so do not take a lot of load.
I will just have to sit it out now until Monday. Living the dream ? Not just at the moment ! Thankyou for all your help it’s very much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Feel for you.
It's worrying when the breakdown service is only capable of recovering you or selling something. You want someone to investigate and tell you what the problem is.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back