Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
Afternoon hope your all keeping safe and well. I have just been talking to a friend of mine who is a long time motorhomer and he happened to mention that I should switch off my battery charger whilst I have the van on my drive and the solar panel fitted to roof but I've checked what literature came with the van and can't see anything?? Our van is a 2008 burstner Solano T725 can anyone help me please

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Assuming the batteries are OK and the charger/solar set up is working properly then it will self-monitor and should be ok.

But, if you have solar why have the EHU on unless using something else in the van?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
We have got the van before lockdown and have been using it and trying things out whilst on our drive we have spent a couple of nights in it so have been using tv,heater fridge and microwave just to try out and spoke to my mate when he said about the charger switch off button? But I'm not sure if he is talking new motorhomes ? But ours is older??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we keep ours on permanently on the drive , partly down to laziness, plus if we went away for an extended trip we would not be turning It on and off while away and probably mostly on hook up

Assuming the batteries are OK and the charger/solar set up is working properly then it will self-monitor and should be ok.

But, if you have solar why have the EHU on unless using something else in the van?

We leave our heating on a low thermostat running on electric if needed, still getting frost here?

plus we leave the fridge running, right now it has been giving us useful extra storage ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had problems in the past with having ehu on long term. Chargers were just float not multistage and would dry out batteries over a long period. Probably not a problem with an 'intelligent' charger.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mitchyd

Free Member
Jan 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T725
Exp
Dont own yet
How do you know if you have a intelligent charger? As I definitely dont have an intelligent user?

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I put the battery charger back on when we were in the Forest of Dean in October as the weather was so lousy.
I don’t even put it on if we’re on ehu and that’s only to run the fridge to save on gas If there’s enough sun. Since having the solar it looks after the batteries even in the winter.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
It means a bit of shuffling to put the van on hook up because the socket is against the hedge so we let the solar keep the batteries topped up. A battery master takes care of the vehicle battery.
For the odd occasion like hoovering the carpets we use an ex stent ion lead from the socket on the drive.

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
I'v been meaning to ask about vehicle battery charging, I know mine is not getting any charge from the solar, as it's seemingly configured to charge the habitation battery exclusively.

My vehicle battery is down to 12.4 v and I'm thinking about how I'm going to keep it charged as I'm not parked outside the house, can't use EHU. Can I run a battery charger off my inverter to charge the vehicle battery ?

Upvote 0

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
I'v been meaning to ask about vehicle battery charging, I know mine is not getting any charge from the solar, as it's seemingly configured to charge the habitation battery exclusively.

My vehicle battery is down to 12.4 v and I'm thinking about how I'm going to keep it charged as I'm not parked outside the house, can't use EHU. Can I run a battery charger off my inverter to charge the vehicle battery ?
Hi Graham.
Like you I had the same where my 100w solar panel is only topping up my leisure batteries. If I hook up to power the starter battery also gets topped up.
So, after much thought and reading on these pages, I have changed the solar power controller to one that can also supply a trickle charge to my starter battery instead of a Battery to Battery charger. It cost about ÂŁ100 for the unit as per attached picture. There is a single wire I had to run to the starter battery but apart from that it was just a matter of swapping wires into the new unit.

Picture - TELECO = Old unit. New one is Votronic.

IMG_1702.jpeg

Upvote 0

addoaddo

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Newbury
Funster No
MH
Cathargo e line
Exp
long time
Although that is not very efficient you can use the inverter to charge the vehicle battery but I would not leave it on for long, just enough to top up the vehicle battery

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

if you install a battery master or the cheaper cbe2 relay, once the leisure battery is near full, excess charge is diverted to the starter battery. simple 3 wire install too so easy diy. positive and negative to the leisure battery and a separate positive to the starter battery. this can often be achieved using existing wiring at the 12v fusebox in the habitation area

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
we keep ours on permanently on the drive , partly down to laziness, plus if we went away for an extended trip we would not be turning It on and off while away and probably mostly on hook up

We leave our heating on a low thermostat running on electric if needed, still getting frost here?

plus we leave the fridge running, right now it has been giving us useful extra storage ?
We have kept electric on while we are have cold nights. When nights warm up we will turn electric off and just have it running off solar. We haven't got the fridge on as emptied and cleaned it out until lockdown over.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Never plug in whilst on drive Only just before we go away together the fridge cold the solar keeps the batteries fully charged and what’s the point of having the hook up when you turn of the charger off the only thing that would be working is the charger

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
So the cbe2 relay, is this what's called a split charge relay ? This is a much cheaper option than the solar controller with trickle facility for vehicle battery. Are they not doing just the same thing, so what's the difference between both options ?

Basically only looking for a solution for the lockdown as normally the vehicle is used regularly all year round mainly at campsites with EHU.

Thanks for the info so far !

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So the cbe2 relay, is this what's called a split charge relay ? This is a much cheaper option than the solar controller with trickle facility for vehicle battery. Are they not doing just the same thing, so what's the difference between both options ?

Basically only looking for a solution for the lockdown as normally the vehicle is used regularly all year round mainly at campsites with EHU.

Thanks for the info so far !
the cbe2, csb2 or battery master are not split charge relays or solar controllers. They are a very simple way of sharing the power from your already installed solar controller between the leisure batteries and the vehicle battery, keeping both charged. The relay I linked to is about ÂŁ25 whereas the battery master is about ÂŁ50. Both are a simple 3 wire connection and do basically the same thing

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
If I buy the cheaper version do I need to use an inline fuse, or
is it built in like the battery master version?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They don't mention fuses in the instructions I didn't bother I've had them in the last two vans.
If you are happier with one fitted it won't do any harm.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Lenny did you use the same thickness wire as the ones coming out of the CBS2? To connect to the batteries?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if its just for when its in store a simple wire from pos to pos with a 3 amp fuse in will keep both batteries charged from the solar small fuse will pop if you forget and try to start the van how easy this is depends on your battery positions and assuming you have sufficient solar

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A split charge relay normally sends power in the opposite direction - from the alternator/starter battery to the leisure battery. It is controlled by either the D+ signal from the alternator, or is voltage sensitive and turns on when the alternator is charging the starter battery. The charging amps through a split charge relay is quite high, perhaps 20 to 40 amps or more.

The BatteryMaster and similar devices will trickle charge the starter battery from the leisure battery, usually 1 or 2 amps max.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How do you know if you have a intelligent charger?
Often they have the symbol 'IUoU' written on them. That means it's a 3-stage intelligent charger. I = constant current, bulk stage. Uo = constant overvoltage, absorption stage. U = constant voltage, float stage.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Afternoon hope your all keeping safe and well. I have just been talking to a friend of mine who is a long time motorhomer and he happened to mention that I should switch off my battery charger whilst I have the van on my drive and the solar panel fitted to roof but I've checked what literature came with the van and can't see anything?? Our van is a 2008 burstner Solano T725 can anyone help me please
Your friend is not wrong. EHU is unnecessary (and might even be harmful).
But, in winter, solar may not be enough.
Just keep an eye on the battery voltage and charge it up if it drops towards 12.5V.
Never leave your battery in a discharged state.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
If I was to connect the cbs2 relay to the leisure and vehicle battery
when in storage would I need to disconnect it when starting the
Van?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.