Bathroom problems (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Right I've got 2 problems with the bathroom area on my 524. 1 is an ongoing problem that I thought had gone away and the second is a problem that just happened today.

1st is a leak somewhere in the drainage system - I thought it was coming straight from the 2 drains that are used for shower water only but last night I was using the sink only and the small amount of water that I used seeps through from somewhere and usually comes out where the wooden panel of the sofa unit meets the floor, see arrow on pic here, although it depends which way the van is tilted.

20191226_121847.jpg

So how on earth do I get in to check the drainage system?

2nd problem is more straight forward. The spring loaded catch that keeps the sink panel in place has snapped. See here:

20191226_120643.jpg

20191226_121154.jpg

Could this be repaired (plastic welded?) or would that not leave it strong enough seeing as it is used every day? If it can't be repaired, where would I get a whole new panel?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Does the seating not come out.

ie cushions lift off to reveal an access panel

Had them off and there is a little access panel but I can't get it off as I haven't got right screwdriver in the van. It's a tiny little hatch though so I don't think I'm going to see much even when I do get it off.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I had a leak in the drain pipe under the sink that couldn't be reached. I cut the drain pipe where I could reach it and dragged the whole length out. I repaired the joint that hadn't been glued and pushed it back under. Bought a new joint for where I'd cut it. Good luck. Also check the shower tap is not leaking at the back when you turn it on.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I had a leak in the drain pipe under the sink that couldn't be reached. I cut the drain pipe where I could reach it and dragged the whole length out. I repaired the joint that hadn't been glued and pushed it back under. Bought a new joint for where I'd cut it. Good luck. Also check the shower tap is not leaking at the back when you turn it on.

Doesn't seem to be any leaks in the tap/shower head itself. I'd need to take of the blue plastic panel that hides the rest of it to make sure and don't want to be doing that unless I really have to

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the waste pipes are often only push fit, so a build up of soap scum, detritis and scale slows the flow enough to promote a leak. A thorough clean and brush through with a long bottle brush and hot soapy water will help keep it clear. but long term it is best replaced with smooth bore pipe, ideally larger than that already fitted

the spring latch, you wont find a replacement, rivet a strip of aluminium over the broken part and it will work. paint the aluminium white so it blends in

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
Cover and stuff everywhere with toilet paper, turn on taps/shower, wait a few minutes then inspect. Water has almost magical powers of finding its way to places it shouldn't.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Had them off and there is a little access panel but I can't get it off as I haven't got right screwdriver in the van. It's a tiny little hatch though so I don't think I'm going to see much even when I do get it off.

Is the seat base screwed in place.

Ours is, different van, then you access below.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Can you look in the floor hatch by bathroom and see any waste pipes and location of waste tank ?
On mine there is a wardrobe / boiler cupboard between bathroom and sofa and a shoe shelf can be lifted to give access to waste pipe.
My basin retainer snapped exactly the same as yours has. I removed the panel and glued a piece of strong plastic with sikaflex to act as a hinge.
This lasted a while but came adrift eventually so I re-did this time adding four (2 on each side) Allen key stainless steel bolts painted to match. Actually sprayed the whole thing.
It's worked fine for about three years now and doesn't look too bad.
I think the plastic I used was a uPVC glazing wedge.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've lifted the hatch outside the bathroom door and found a bit of water. That's what led to me thinking it was the shower drains but it's obviously escaping a bit further back.

The sofa base is hinged and you can swing it up out the way. Plenty of space there but can't open the other access hatch to have a look until I'm home for tools. I'll be home tomorrow.

Looks like I'll just have to bodge the spring latch. At least the spring actually holds it in place so it is workable for now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Are you sure it is the waste that is leaking? Ours was on the supply side but an easy fix done under warranty.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have a similar problem use food colouring red sink green shower put down each drain separately white look roll or similar and which ever bit is leaking will be that colour. I found my leak that way. But getting in to fix it is a whole new ball game. Good luck

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
the waste pipes are often only push fit, so a build up of soap scum, detritis and scale slows the flow enough to promote a leak.

A bit late back to this but I have had more time to investigate this problem as I am fulltiming and my back is fixed allowing me to get in to the nooks and crannies!

You seem to have got it spot on TheBig1

I traced the leak to only the sink drainage pipe which comes down under the floor just in the toilet cassette locker and to the left. Black plastic pipe push-fitted in to an 90 degree elbow. As you can see in the video it has been leaking for sometime and has left me with a lovely gunk of soap scum and scale.

Now I reckon I can unscrew the corrugated hose in the shower room and it should allow me to being the black pipe up and see what's going on.

If it is just push-fit can I clean it and hopefully push it back in to place? Or will I need some kind of sealant?

Excuse the mess!

ok video wont upload so just a screenshot...

Screenshot_20200801-160405_Video Player.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you can disconnect that pipe and be able to take it to a plumbers merchant, they should be able to tell you whether the plastic used is suitable for accepting the solvent glue to stick the pipes together meaning that it won't leak again.
I would rather have a 'natural' bend in plastic pipes rather than a fitted elbow.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you can disconnect that pipe and be able to take it to a plumbers merchant, they should be able to tell you whether the plastic used is suitable for accepting the solvent glue to stick the pipes together meaning that it won't leak again.
I would rather have a 'natural' bend in plastic pipes rather than a fitted elbow.
Just tried but I can't get it disconnected. I think I'll need to way until someone at work on Monday can stop it turning on the outside when I try and loosen it on the inside.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You have my sympathy as what goes down as soap and dirty water ends up as a gooey stinky mess. Pretty much every one I have taken apart I ended up splashed with the vile stuff. When re-instating I try and fit as big a smooth bore pipe as I can get in, with a reducer to fit the sink and tank. Aquarium/fish tank places are much cheaper and have the bits in stock usually

Not a job I enjoy, you have my sympathy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back