Bath Clean Air zone (2 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
THe only warning signs appear to be these.

The exit from the A46 roundabout to London Road (can you spot it on the Bath/Warminster sign?)

View attachment 551292

This one is too late and there is nowhere to turn to avoid the zone.

View attachment 551293
I would just do a three point turn in the busy road, if people start protesting I would just point at the sign and practice my best Gaulic shoulder shrug 🤨

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Next month is the 125th anniversary for the London to Brighton run and the run starts from the middle of the new ULEZ zone, I wonder if any of them will be fined ?
[/QUOTE]
No they are historic so exempt as is every thing over 40 years old

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bath will and is not the only place, like all good Demagogues they will replicate and justify in our name the benefits, until we revolt and say enough is enough.
We all know the uncomfortable truth, there are too many of us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Crossing Bath, if from north go onto Bristol ring road, t
Bristol ring road one to be avoided if you don’t like long queues. It has its own emissions problems which are higher than permitted at junctions. People live beside the road (me) so moving Bath’s problems to Bristol not a good idea.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
It's just a tax you can still come to our city's and pollute our residents but we will charge you so we can spend the money on other good causes ..why don't they just say it

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Bristol ring road one to be avoided if you don’t like long queues. It has its own emissions problems which are higher than permitted at junctions. People live beside the road (me) so moving Bath’s problems to Bristol not a good idea.

Yesterday the roadworks on the A4174 ring road had been removed and the new Throughabout is open at last. There is a short-ish queue at the new traffic lights, but otherwise it was all running smoothly again. Until they start on the next "improvement".

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977

Yesterday the roadworks on the A4174 ring road had been removed and the new Throughabout is open at last. There is a short-ish queue at the new traffic lights, but otherwise it was all running smoothly again. Until they start on the next "improvement".

There seems to be little thought in the design of our road systems. Traffic should be kept moving at the most economical speed with suitable fly-overs and slip roads then we, the motorist, would be able to keep our vehicle emissions to a minimum. Installing traffic lights and roundabouts just increases the problem.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just moving the polluting to the roads that avoid the charges…….or is that just over simplifying it? 🤷‍♂️
I think it is. Vehicles produce 2x the NOx when queuing and idling and in a densely packed urban area that means lots more people are breathing lots more NOx. Traffic moved out to freer moving roads where there are lower population densities will improve the situation. Cities like Bath have a particular problem being surrounded by steep sided hills which tend to trap the pollution for longer. If I lived in Bath I would be very pleased to have even small improvements to the air quality.

Whether the methods of improving the air quality are fair or properly signed is another argument but I don’t doubt the need for them.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
But the whole thing is still traffic light controlled like the original roundabout, even those going on the “throughabout”bit have to stop. Just moves the traffic a bit faster onto the next junction.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
But the whole thing is still traffic light controlled like the original roundabout, even those going on the “throughabout”bit have to stop. Just moves the traffic a bit faster onto the next junction.

A flyover as rod_vw suggested would have been much better for through traffic.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Google maps has got the CAZ as roads with tolls so if you put in a route say, KUSKUS from Shrewsbury to Longleat you can find ways to avoid. I don’t know how long it will take sat navs like Garmin to update their data, then you would have to update your maps.
Anyway, in the meantime I advise everyone to use google maps and set to No Toll roads when in UK.
5FB47F18-0F3B-45A0-BAFC-B3DDD2D148D5.jpeg

…..and pity poor lovely Bradford-on-Avon. This bridge is the main road through.
DE8A2FE8-C62B-4BE3-892C-81E3148DC364.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Google maps has got the CAZ as roads with tolls so if you put in a route say, KUSKUS from Shrewsbury to Longleat you can find ways to avoid. I don’t know how long it will take sat navs like Garmin to update their data, then you would have to update your maps.
Anyway, in the meantime I advise everyone to use google maps and set to No Toll roads when in UK.
View attachment 551410

View attachment 551411
I would probably use the Malmesbury A350 route anyway. At motorhome speeds the time difference will probably be less and the roads are easier to drive. However that Google shows toll and non toll routes is very helpful information.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
View attachment 551410

View attachment 551411
No……I’d go M32 into Bristol and pick up the A4……upsetting all Bristolian’s with Bath’s problems. ;)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
View attachment 551410

…

Annie isn't the route that shows Tolls the one over the Toll bridge at Bathampton that avoids the city centre and does not go near the CAZ. the toll is 25p from memory.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Annie isn't the route that shows Tolls the one over the Toll bridge at Bathampton that avoids the city centre and does not go near the CAZ. the toll is 25p from memory.
You may well be correct, I have just looked routes around and even into bath and no mention of tolls. Still shows the same routes with the avoid tolls option turned on 🥺 Shame as this would have been an extremely useful addition.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Bathampton toll bridge does avoid Bath caz.
It has a 4ton limit, but anything wider than a panel van may/will struggle.
Traffic on the bridge is one way, so queues form either side and its only just wide enough to pass that queue.
Not sure on toll fee, but think may be higher than 25p.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have spoken to the Bath council clean air zone group and a very pleasant gentleman suggesting phoning them up in two weeks to see if I was actually captured on the cameras and suggested that as I wasn't local and unaware of the scheme I would have good grounds for appeal .
He did mention that there is a discount scheme for motorhomes over 3500 kg and horseboxes but you must apply before entering the zone.
Looked at the application it requires copy of V5 and photographs of your motorhome.
I will keep you all in touch with the outcome.
Thanks for your support.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
25p! Ha ha, you're having a laugh, those cowboys are milking the toll like there's no tomorrow, I avoid it like the plague but last time I used it it was 75p for a car. All cash. Bet the taxman doesn't see much of it.....
Even more annoying is they do nothing to manage the flow so sometimes you get stuck while a long queue comes towards you.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
View attachment 551410

View attachment 551411
I'd still recommend staying on the Bristol ring towards Keynsham, then Saltford and the A4 until the Globe roundabout. Turn right towards Odd Down, and then after a few miles right again at the Esso garage to Hinton Charterhouse, Rode etc. on the A36. I always use that road out of Bath when heading South.
And yes it takes a bit of pressure off poor old Bradford on Avon

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I have spoken to the Bath council clean air zone group and a very pleasant gentleman suggesting phoning them up in two weeks to see if I was actually captured on the cameras and suggested that as I wasn't local and unaware of the scheme I would have good grounds for appeal .
He did mention that there is a discount scheme for motorhomes over 3500 kg and horseboxes but you must apply before entering the zone.
Looked at the application it requires copy of V5 and photographs of your motorhome.
I will keep you all in touch with the outcome.
Thanks for your support.
Best of luck. I have heard some people have been treated kindly but many more have not.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Bucket
Yes of course, that google map was only an example of the route from Shrewsbury to Longleat. The route you have given is our route that way or Keynsham, then A39 on Wellsway.
I just wanted to show how you might use google maps to avoid the Bath CAZ, or any other.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Portsmouth be aware.
Continuing the theme this week Portsmouth introduced a similar scheme, so to access the ferries to France or The Isle of Wight you have to PAY!!!!
Cars do not have to pay in spite of their emissions but vans lorries and busses do, I think it was ÂŁ10 for a van.
The local elected councillor who was against the scheme said that they will monitor the air pollution and if the pollution drops so the scheme will stop, it was introduced as the council received monies from the government!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Portsmouth be aware.
Continuing the theme this week Portsmouth introduced a similar scheme, so to access the ferries to France or The Isle of Wight you have to PAY!!!!
Cars do not have to pay in spite of their emissions but vans lorries and busses do, I think it was ÂŁ10 for a van.
The local elected councillor who was against the scheme said that they will monitor the air pollution and if the pollution drops so the scheme will stop, it was introduced as the council received monies from the government!
You sure about that?

The map shows access to the Ferry Port is just outside the zone……unless you choose the wrong route. (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Portsmouth be aware.
The scheme is not yet introduced but starts on November 29th. However Portsmouth international ferry terminal will be outside and ok to reach travelling down from M27 or A3
Google maps cannot yet direct me around it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Bother - you are right. I thought I had hit on a way to advise people :doh:
Just putting in a route to Bath Pump Rooms gives alternatives but doesn’t mention tolls. What a shame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back