Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Morning all, thought I’d share this little nugget with you,,,the better half and me thought we’d pop to Bath for a few days, so found a decent looking site,as was just about to book it when the Eagle eye spotted the Clean Air zone,,,,this needed looking at,,,,so the cost of driving the MH into the zone is,,,,£ 100,,, so we thought,, sod that, checked on Googlie earth and I can’t find a way of getting to the site without driving through the zone, unless I come in the opposite way via New York,,,,so Bath has said no to my spending cash in the area,,,back to the drawing board,,(y)(y)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You were lucky - we never saw the notices so it cost us £138 in fines. I wrote to Bath City Council to ask how to get to the Marina camp site from the M4 without going through the CAZ and Kieran wrote back as follows:

'Thank you for your e-mail. If you are coming from the east along the M4 I would suggest turning left onto the A46, right onto A420 and then turning left onto Freezinghill Lane. Follow this road down into Lansdown until you can turn right onto Lansdown Lane which will take you into Upper Weston on the map. You should then be able to go down Lansdown, through Weston and Combe Park and turn on to Newbridge Road to get to the campsite without entering the Clean Air Zone boundaries.
I have attached a quick screenshot to try and indicate the turn onto Lansdown Lane I reference as well as a circle to demonstrate where the Mariana campsite is located. I apologise in advice for my poor paint skills, but I hope this helps to show what I am describing to some extent. If you require further details please let me know.'

If you want the screen shot PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. It's not that helpful actually!

Good luck - it might be easier just to pay the £9 per day!

Catherine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wabs

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I’ve given up on the idea now,,decided on Dorset,,(y)(y),,but thanks for your help.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Report issued about 10 days ago says that gas heating boilers emit more pollutants than vehicles, so what is the motive behind clean air zones? Will the proceeds of the financial penalties be invested in subsidising the installation of domestic heat pumps and other 'clean' technologies?

Steve

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I think the only viable way to get to the marina site is to approach it on a A4 from the Bristol side of Bath. A long way round but avoids the CAZ.

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
AF0E349A-5FE8-4A32-884E-35C4810BCEA0.png
Hi. Only one problem with that route there is a 2mt width limit. See photo. We live locally and wondered how Motorhome's would manage!! The only way in to the Newbridge/marina campsite missing the zone is on the A4 from the west/Bristol direction.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Re those directions, I think lansdown lane has a 2 metre width restriction.
Dont think its ever enforced but its there, bad lorry accident a few years back when their brakes failed.
Thanks - I will enquire.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You were lucky - we never saw the notices so it cost us £138 in fines. I wrote to Bath City Council to ask how to get to the Marina camp site from the M4 without going through the CAZ and Kieran wrote back as follows:

'Thank you for your e-mail. If you are coming from the east along the M4 I would suggest turning left onto the A46, right onto A420 and then turning left onto Freezinghill Lane. Follow this road down into Lansdown until you can turn right onto Lansdown Lane which will take you into Upper Weston on the map. You should then be able to go down Lansdown, through Weston and Combe Park and turn on to Newbridge Road to get to the campsite without entering the Clean Air Zone boundaries.
I have attached a quick screenshot to try and indicate the turn onto Lansdown Lane I reference as well as a circle to demonstrate where the Mariana campsite is located. I apologise in advice for my poor paint skills, but I hope this helps to show what I am describing to some extent. If you require further details please let me know.'

If you want the screen shot PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. It's not that helpful actually!

Good luck - it might be easier just to pay the £9 per day!

Catherine
Yes Lansdown Lane 2m restriction. Steep downhill, leading to Weston High Street which looks like this. Of course it is passable, the dustbin lorries do it by holding up all traffic! 🤣 but really seems pointless directing traffic through these narrow roads. Just moves the emissions to other folk and also because so slow through there, in total there are more emissions.
50532E38-AA36-4D33-9F7D-83BEE77800DA.jpeg

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Report issued about 10 days ago says that gas heating boilers emit more pollutants than vehicles, so what is the motive behind clean air zones? Will the proceeds of the financial penalties be invested in subsidising the installation of domestic heat pumps and other 'clean' technologies?

Steve
No. It’s just a money making scheme in my opinion where they’re seen to be doing something and funds raised go into the big black hole of council debt.
The government gave Bradford council millions of pounds to introduce a clean air zone as the government seems to be under pressure to be seen to be doing something about air quality. Which is a problem. But it’s easy to target mr diesel as the issue.
Routes from the motorways into Bradford are more congested during more hours of a day than the areas they’ve selected to have their clean air zone. Also, these areas are more industrial polluting than the selected clean air zones.
So why hasn’t that been tackled?
Also, I digress a little but if we are all worried about air quality, why do we permit bonfires?
Some bonfires/fires in the open are an excuse to get rid of items that carry red tape to legally dispose of at a household tip.
So why not ban bonfires?
Also, I’ve yet to hear of any local authority releasing air quality figures between the dates of 02.Nov through to 08.Nov between the hours of 4pm and 11pm when so many in the UK celebrates Guy Fawkes?
I wonder how many of these sit down on the motorway protesters will form a human chain around their village/town bonfire next month begging not to light it?
All this is going to do is force the targeted motorist to take alternative routes. Thus, spreading the pollution out more and creating side streets into rat runs.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Just seen this article in the Guardian. The new 'Eco' standard compliant Woodstoves are allowed to emit 750 times more pollution than an HGV ...

Woodstove Pollution Ecodesign

Steve
This is dreadful- A dear friend has paid through nose to have electric boiler and eco woodburner installed in her small listed cottage as she decided to spend her retirement lump sum £ on being as green and saving the planet as far as she could . She can't have an electric car as there is no parking anywhere near the house, so went for very expensive boiler and woodburner . She will be devastated if and when she reads this.
The electric boiler [hot water and heating ]was so expensive [£800 extra bill last quarter !!] she cant afford to have heating on for the same time as before with the gas boiler ..... could weep ! Cant do right for doing wrong - she took a lot of advice from various websites before doing this as well .:cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
Wabs

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I totally agree with all the comments,and as said I won’t be bothered about going to Bath, despite how lovely it looks,,the whole reason for MH ink is to relax,, not stress myself out just trying to get to a place to relax,,,if you know what I mean,,(y) thanks for all your comments,,maybe the Local council should listen to you lot rather than jumping their self important Money making gun.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just seen this article in the Guardian. The new 'Eco' standard compliant Woodstoves are allowed to emit 750 times more pollution than an HGV ...

Woodstove Pollution Ecodesign

Steve

Kirsten
I was not impressed with the article.

The major major difference between a diesel powered HGV and a wood burning stove is one is running on fossil fuel carried halfway across the planet and the other runs on a locally sourced, carbon neutral, renewable fuel.

If they added to the HGV the additional particulates produced by the ship bringing in the crude oil, the refinery making the diesel and the HGV that moved the diesel to the fuel station before it was pumped into the HGV that used it.
Plus of course you have to add the pollution that was caused by making the steel that went into the oil rig that found the crude oil, the pipelines that moved it, the tanker ship that carried it, the refinery that made it and the tarmacked roads it was carried on to the steel fuel station to go into the steel HGV.

In addition one must remember that until fairly recently, within the lifetime of many of us on this forum, houses in northern Europe were all heated by open fires which gave off far more pollution that a modern wood burning stove using dried wood.

I will be fitting wood burning stoves to any future house I buy, and will use the one I have at every opportunity as I believe it pollutes a lot less than a gas boiler when all the other pollutants of getting that gas to my boiler are taken into consideration.
In addition wood is carbon neutral and not a fossil fuel.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Kirsten

The major major difference between a diesel powered HGV and a wood burning stove is one is running on fossil fuel carried halfway across the planet and the other runs on a locally sourced, carbon neutral, renewable fuel.

If they added to the HGV the additional particulates produced by the ship bringing in the crude oil, the refinery making the diesel and the HGV that moved the diesel to the fuel station before it was pumped into the HGV that used it.
Plus of course you have to add the pollution that was caused by making the steel that went into the oil rig that found the crude oil, the pipelines that moved it, the tanker ship that carried it, the refinery that made it and the tarmacked roads it was carried on to the steel fuel station to go into the steel HGV.

In addition one must remember that until fairly recently, within the lifetime of many of us on this forum, houses in northern Europe were all heated by open fires which gave off far more pollution that a modern wood burning stove using dried wood.

I will be fitting wood burning stoves to any future house I buy, and will use the one I have at every opportunity as I believe it pollutes a lot less than a gas boiler when all the other pollutants of getting that gas to my boiler are taken into consideration.
Your choice, but PM2.5 blamed for 400,000 deaths and advice is not to use the woodstoves around young children and the elderly ...

Steve

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Your choice, but PM2.5 blamed for 400,000 deaths and advice is not to use the woodstoves around young children and the elderly ...

Steve
40,000 across Europe (not 400,000)
I still think that is someone playing with statistics.

If you extrapolate the 40,000 claimed, by the number of stoves today (an average of way less than one per house), and then compare it to the number of open fires of say 50 years ago, (an average of more than 3 per house), millions would have died every year.
I'll grant you quite a few did in the smog's, but it was not millions every year.

Whilst I'm not saying they don't have a point, I think they are exaggerating a small issue many fold.

(One wonders if there is a hidden agenda here, no government likes its populace to have free energy, you cant tax it, you cant sell it)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
As Riverbankannie say's you have to take great care to avoid paying the tax. We live here and got caught the first time because the council downgraded our MoHo after I'd checked (😬).
Now if coming from the East or North we have to go via Bristol (Longwell Green). We live just south of the river about a mile from the centre.
However, you do get to come quite a long way into the city before getting hit so accessing the campsite on the Bristol side is fine. Regular buses run in and out and the cycling is good too.
And yes, Lansdown Lane is a no go area if over 2 m wide, stupidly it's a width restriction rather than weight? I see plenty ignoring it and have recently done so myself at 2 AM but wouldn't risk being caught in daylight. The cameras are to catch speeders but the local plod love their mobile traps......
Happily for us we are in advanced process to move out, somewhere close to the motorway network so we won't have to deal with this issue for much longer.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Now if coming from the East or North we have to go via Bristol (Longwell Green).
Thereby adding to the woes of the A4174 ring road, another road to be avoided if at all possible (assuming don’t go through the middle of Bristol).

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
40,000 across Europe (not 400,000)
I still think that is someone playing with statistics.

If you extrapolate the 40,000 claimed, by the number of stoves today (an average of way less than one per house), and then compare it to the number of open fires of say 50 years ago, (an average of more than 3 per house), millions would have died every year.
I'll grant you quite a few did in the smog's, but it was not millions every year.

Whilst I'm not saying they don't have a point, I think they are exaggerating a small issue many fold.

(One wonders if there is a hidden agenda here, no government likes its populace to have free energy, you cant tax it, you cant sell it)
UK Government has said it does not propose to make any changes to the Environment Bill currently before Parliament. But you obviously know better than all the Scientists, NGO Investigators, University Academics et al who point out that their findings are based upon dry wood burning in ideal conditions. It would seem you who has the agenda, hidden or otherwise.

Steve

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If you had this one, the passenger could stoke it as you crawled along in the traffic queues.
Screenshot_20211009-184717.png

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Kirsten

We don’t have a stove just an open grate. I am recycling old dead trees into heat. Saving them going to landfill. Man has burned wood for heat and to cook for thousands of years. To me it is better than burning oil or gas. Surely the wood when it was a tree, took in carbon dioxide and gave oxygen. That’s pretty carbon neutral in my book.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
UK Government has said it does not propose to make any changes to the Environment Bill currently before Parliament. But you obviously know better than all the Scientists, NGO Investigators, University Academics et al who point out that their findings are based upon dry wood burning in ideal conditions. It would seem you who has the agenda, hidden or otherwise.

Steve
Yup,

Which is the reason wood burning stoves are still legal.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We don’t have a stove just an open grate. I am recycling old dead trees into heat. Saving them going to landfill. Man has burned wood for heat and to cook for thousands of years. To me it is better than burning oil or gas. Surely the wood when it was a tree, took in carbon dioxide and gave oxygen. That’s pretty carbon neutral in my book.
That is exactly my point.

OP
OP
Wabs

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Personally, and I’m going to get torn to shreds for this,,but I don’t really care,,if the older people of this country need to keep warm and healthy they should use whatever means are needed, I think they have earned that rite,, it’s the BIG companies and countries that need the talking to,,if my parents were alive I’d be happy to burn anything to keep them here,,just my view 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back