Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
I'd like advice on the best way to bank/spend money in Europe. My husband has a Halifax clarity card (credit card) and I have just received a Monzo card. Will these two be sufficient and cost effective for long terming. ( e.g. should he also have a Monzo) Have I overlooked anything which would be useful. Thankyou

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Between us we have four different card suppliers and in the last couple of years have never had problems, although there are still a few places around that only take maestro (haven't got that one).

We also have a Caxton card which we use purely to draw cash, topping it up throughout the year when the rate is favourable - which at the moment it isn't due to Brexit etc. Costs nothing so is cheaper than using credit/debit cars for cash. If necessary I can also top it off via on-line banking.

The important thing, though, is to ensure that if a wallet/purse gets stolen you're not left without means of payment. Keep a card well hidden somewhere in the van "just in case". I also try to ensure I have the cost of a tank of fuel in local currency.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can't do much better than Revolut for cash, one each ideally, so you can take out up to €400 a month without having to pay withdrawal fees, no fee for purchases etc, very easy to use, good exchange rate, JJ loves his! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sucoz

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Thankyou both, we may order a Revolt card although there are only a few days before we leave for France, but I think the Monzo is quite similar to Revolt and Caxton. We both have traditional bank cards and Clarity so hopefully will see us through. Will take advice on board TerryL.

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
We have used Starling for the last 12 months, fee free worldwide including cash withdrawal (bank ATM may charge a fee!)

Also great customer service, had one issue (not their fault) and all sorted with the app online chat function

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We always have the main card we use each then one card one of us has and a different card the other one. That way if one gets their wallet/purse stolen we can cancel a card and still have one to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back