Bank Holidays.. Love them or loathe them? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 23, 2022
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail tracker
Exp
As of today, 23/8/22 minus a few weeks! ( deposit paid, awaiting collection)
Good Morning!

Today I would like to know how are you enjoying the Bank Holiday? Weather is undecided here in Northampton, and seems similar in a lot of the country.

Q1. Are you away or stay at home?
Q2. Pre booked or impulse?
Q3. Organised event or freestyle?
Q4. In Motorhome or not?

I await your responses with interest!

Phil in Northampton

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Away
Prebooked
Freestyle
Not campervan

Roads are much quieter this morning than they are normally

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
At home.
We are retired, so every day is a holiday. We do a mix of impulse and pre-booked depending on where we are going, or if there is a specific reason to be somewhere on a certain date. By choice, we will always head off during weekdays and leave weekends, particularly Bank Holiday ones, to others.
Enjoy whatever you are all doing.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
At home.
We are retired, so every day is a holiday. We do a mix of impulse and pre-booked depending on where we are going, or if there is a specific reason to be somewhere on a certain date. By choice, we will always head off during weekdays and leave weekends, particularly Bank Holiday ones, to others.
Enjoy whatever you are all doing.
Same here, though we have to navigate around queuing holiday traffic to get to the sailing club for Saturday racing.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Jev88 Many happy returns.
Helping family erect their tent today, stepson working away and it is not easy for one. nothing planned for ourselves. Quite close to home so may make a bit of a day of it on the way home.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Although now retired so that Bank holidays mean less I still enjoy the idea. Yesterday, as was typical of most Spring Bank holidays when I was working, it rained mostly but it did mean that the Woodlands walk near York (part of Yorkshire Wildlife) was almost empty. So we enjoyed the lovely rhododendrons.
IMG_5094.jpeg
IMG_5088.jpeg
IMG_5095.jpeg

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Away, in Spain..
Wasn't pre booked and was due to go back to UK on 14th...seen the weather ...so extended..seen the weather again so extended again..and again...

But funeral in UK Thursday so back tomoz.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Having done breakdown work for twenty two years including a lot of bank holidays I would rather be at home than fighting traffic and staying on rammed full sites.
I had a week in France with our son early this month so I have spent the weekend tidying the van ready for our next trip at the end of June.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Usually make a point avoiding bank holidays, but we booked a trip to Scotland 6 months ago because my wife works in a school and it's half term in Wales so she's not working, but forgot that it's Bank holiday weekend. Had a nightmare drive to Scotland in the rain. Just short of our destination I got a message on the satnav that there was a 147 minute delay just ahead of us, so we pulled off the m74 at Cairn lodge services to make a plan b. Checking the map we came up with a plan, after wasting 45 minutes we headed out, took a wrong turn and ended back on the motorway where I didn't want to be!
Committed we had to carry on:rolleyes:
We got to where the delay was meant to be and there was nothing, slow traffic but it kept moving. The motorway only has 2 lanes so it doesn't take long for a tailback to grow but equally it takes longer to clear. The diversion would have taken us well out of our way.
I've pretty much always trusted the satnav but will be more dubious from now on

OP
OP
P
Aug 23, 2022
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail tracker
Exp
Interesting replies so far, so who are the hordes that descend on places as it seems it’s not wise motorhome folk!
As we have no motorhome for a couple of weeks we are taking chairs and a picnic to the park for a Buddy Holly tribute act.

We will see how that goes!

Phil in Northampton

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Normally avoid them but last bank holiday had been to a concert in Cardiff so had to travel back on the BH Monday.

Today am returning home on ferry to newcastle from ijmuiden after 10 days motorbiking in Germany. Chose today due to the Bairns holidays and it was also a decent priced.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Living in Cornwall, I am absolutely loving today, Spring Bank Holiday Monday.

There again, I'm in the Dordogne so I would, wouldn't I.

Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
Was away for Friday and Saturday 🎣 travelled back on Sunday so OH could watch the Leeds match and forecast was rain anyway…so at home … been back to the moho storage yard to replace a broken sink waste and now in the garden doing a couple of jobs and enjoying the ☀️ 🍷 to follow

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
we always try to be at home on bank holidays just because we don't like the busy roads, attractions all full and scenic villages etc. full of the snotty hankie on the head brigade ;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not done a Bank Holiday in UK for 40 odd years..BUSBY.

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Spent all morning at a hospital appointment but off on Friday for a 6 week jolly :giggle:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Home but darling daughter is here so that’s wonderful. It’s Sherborne Country Fair today and the roads are dead which is odd. We normally struggle to get out of our drive. It’s not been cancelled. Think I’ve discovered why. Adult tickets £18 and children £5 !!!

For a family that’s not much cheaper than the Bath and West which is £64 for a family of 5 and is much better. Not that it would be my cup of tea mind but it’s next weekend and only up the road.

OP
OP
P
Aug 23, 2022
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail tracker
Exp
Good Evening
Hoping you all enjoyed the Bank Holiday whatever you did and wherever you did it!
For us , local park, so no traffic, picnic in the sunshine and occasional shower, but everyone seemed prepared with their brollies!
Great to see plenty of folk out in the fresh air having fun , dancing to the sounds of Buddy Holly.

Phil in Northampton

IMG_5581.jpeg
IMG_5588.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back