Bailey - Transfer of ownership and warranty issues (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I am trying to transfer the ownership and warranty from the previous owner. I have contacted Bailey and they have confirmed information required, being copy of warranty and servicing to date, copy of purchase receipt and MEA number from front windscreen. I have taken photos of each one and sent them via email along my request.

Bailey have responded by asking for me to write to them and send a cheque or postal order to cover the cost (£35) - They wont accept my email with all my full details, home address etc and a request to transfer the warranty or allow me to transfer direct to their account or even make card payment over the phone

Has anyone else had similar problems? It seems ridiculous to me that I have to go and order a cheque book or go out an buy a postal order and send them in the post, which could get lost, rather than make a telephone card payment or even bank transfer !!!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I would imagine if you were buying a motorhome from them direct they would only accept guineas and farthings …..

i have just checked on their website and they accept payment by card for a whole load of items, accessories etc, so why cant they offer a change of ownership/warranty as an item available from their on line shop?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I am trying to transfer the ownership and warranty from the previous owner. I have contacted Bailey and they have confirmed information required, being copy of warranty and servicing to date, copy of purchase receipt and MEA number from front windscreen. I have taken photos of each one and sent them via email along my request.

Bailey have responded by asking for me to write to them and send a cheque or postal order to cover the cost (£35) - They wont accept my email with all my full details, home address etc and a request to transfer the warranty or allow me to transfer direct to their account or even make card payment over the phone

Has anyone else had similar problems? It seems ridiculous to me that I have to go and order a cheque book or go out an buy a postal order and send them in the post, which could get lost, rather than make a telephone card payment or even bank transfer !!!
Why isnt your dealer sorting this for you?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would call them and "discuss " that you hope their response if you have a warranty issue is better than their current response!!

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
to be fair, I have had another email which although not great for me, they do acknowledge that perhaps their process could do with being reviewed !

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I had the same problem (had to do it myself) not only did I have to find a cheque , they also took about 3 months to confirm that they would transfer the warranty.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
And I doubt the warranty is worth £35. The one we had had so many exclusions I don't think I'd buy an extended warranty again.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Slightly different, but,
I changed motorhomes earlier in year. Sold an Approach Autograph 750, 2014, and bought a 2016 `66` reg Approach Advance 640, both sold/bought privately.
The 750 had a slight issue which I attempted to claim via the warranty. Bailey informed me I had not transferred the warranty within 6 weeks of purchasing the vehicle and would not honour the claim (£30)! My fault.
The 640 I bought was first registerd October 26th 2016.
Van Service and habitation service records done in late October 2017, then not again until 8th Jan 2019. 2nd service and habittation service were late as the then owner was out of the country for 3 months.
Both habitation services showed no issues
PRIOR to buying the van I checked with Bailey to ensure the warranties were transferable to me on purchase.
Bailey informed me all warranties were null in void as the services should be done 6 weeks either prior to or post the annual registration date of the vehicle!
Ok, it was out some 9 weeks.
I offered to pay for any extended Hab service/check at a centre of their choice as did the previous owner to allow a transfer of warranty.
Bailey refused point blank to honour the warranty.
I had my own hab check done again in March 2019 prior to purchase just for my own peace of mind, and went ahead with the purchase. Absolutely no issues with the van at all.
Pretty poor Bailey.
I would hate to have a severe issue with a van and have to attempt a claim under the Bailey warranties.
They make a great van.
Provide a crap service with the implementation of warranties

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Slightly different, but,
I changed motorhomes earlier in year. Sold an Approach Autograph 750, 2014, and bought a 2016 `66` reg Approach Advance 640, both sold/bought privately.
The 750 had a slight issue which I attempted to claim via the warranty. Bailey informed me I had not transferred the warranty within 6 weeks of purchasing the vehicle and would not honour the claim (£30)! My fault.
The 640 I bought was first registerd October 26th 2016.
Van Service and habitation service records done in late October 2017, then not again until 8th Jan 2019. 2nd service and habittation service were late as the then owner was out of the country for 3 months.
Both habitation services showed no issues
PRIOR to buying the van I checked with Bailey to ensure the warranties were transferable to me on purchase.
Bailey informed me all warranties were null in void as the services should be done 6 weeks either prior to or post the annual registration date of the vehicle!
Ok, it was out some 9 weeks.
I offered to pay for any extended Hab service/check at a centre of their choice as did the previous owner to allow a transfer of warranty.
Bailey refused point blank to honour the warranty.
I had my own hab check done again in March 2019 prior to purchase just for my own peace of mind, and went ahead with the purchase. Absolutely no issues with the van at all.
Pretty poor Bailey.
I would hate to have a severe issue with a van and have to attempt a claim under the Bailey warranties.
They make a great van.
Provide a crap service with the implementation of warranties
I have never had any issues with warranty on any of my Baileys and even my dealer said their one of the better companies for actioning claims in an efficient manner.like all insurances I guess it's the small print that catches people out?

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Yes well I suspect the dealer would say that, as I am sure Swift ,Burstner, Pilote ......all would say there back up service was best .
As I stated above, our recent motorhome warranty transfer was something I was aware of as I did the digging prior to purchase.
You are definately correct about the small print though.
However you would still have to ask, if you were trying to get a MoHo booked in for an annual Hab check on or around the annual anniversary of the registration date to honour the warranty T+C`s and the dealership was fully booked at prime times, say spring or late summer and the only date possible was outwith the time scale, would the manufacturer honour any warranty claims?
Above scenario is not completely unconceivable.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Yes well I suspect the dealer would say that, as I am sure Swift ,Burstner, Pilote ......all would say there back up service was best .
As I stated above, our recent motorhome warranty transfer was something I was aware of as I did the digging prior to purchase.
You are definately correct about the small print though.
However you would still have to ask, if you were trying to get a MoHo booked in for an annual Hab check on or around the annual anniversary of the registration date to honour the warranty T+C`s and the dealership was fully booked at prime times, say spring or late summer and the only date possible was outwith the time scale, would the manufacturer honour any warranty claims?
Above scenario is not completely unconceivable.
Most of the supplying parts manufacturers make the decision on warranty not the assembler such as Bailey even though the dealer will contact Bailey who then hand over to say Alde for authorisation. As for dates I book my Hab service 12 months in advance to avoid the problem scenero Having owned 10 units from Bailey I can absolutely say I never had an issue with a claim recently a sink plug part was rejected by the manufacturer Mirad and Bailey challenged it and was replace no problem.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Not completely correct. in this case, Bailey, issue the warranty in respect of for instance say the Alu-Tec construction and associated issues with say possible water ingress. Other parts manufacturers you are correct about, and you are aslo correct in booking well in advance. Not everyone would consider that, thinking they had nothing better than to phone up and book. Possibly short sighted but never the less just unaware.
However, the fact still remains Bailey will not consider any claim whatsoever if the habitation annual check falls outwith the specified time schedule, regardless of circumstances.
Hope you are enjoying your new sink plug!

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Actually it's underwritten by insurance . Yes really enjoying the plug thank you ? it's exactly like the motor industry any breach of T&C voids the warranty that's why I only buy new and through a dealer

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Ok, I was being a bit sarky there.
I was mearly sharing an experience. I kind of thought that it is 1 of the main aspects of a forum like this. Share experiences, tips, ideas, ask or give advice through your own experiences or just general chit chat.
I have learnt a lot of this industry through experiences, trial and error or just reading about others input.
Not everyone can or would want to buy a new MoHo, whereby, you would be in a position where warranty issues should not be an issue for various reasons, such as new cost, locality of returning with a specific vehicle they wanted to dealerships not in their area for teathing/warranty issues, or simply letting the first owner take the financial loss hit on trade-in or selling it.
However the fact remains that, other than yourself never having encountered a problem, some people do and the more information you have at hand or just to consider has surely got to be for the better.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Fair point apologies as I was also a bit sarky .perhaps I have been lucky and I didn't mean to cause offence to any one buying a used van most of them have all the issues sorted so that's a bonus .?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back