Back Box And A Bike, Is It Possible (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all
I have a Fiamma storage box on the back of the MH and just wondered if it's possible to carry a bicycle as well and if so what would I need (apart from the bike of course!)
Apparently it would be handy if we had a bike so I could cycle off into town to get supplies when we're away...:whistle:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
It might be worth checking that
the total weights of the back box, its contents, mounting and the bike don't exceed the recommended load for the back panel.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
and if so what would I need
A few spanners. You take the bike apart, and put it into the box. Stand back, say 'Abracadabra', (whilst waving your Sooty magic wand), and a 23 year old model will climb out! After all, they do say that all the old bikes were once young and pretty. :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
A few spanners. You take the bike apart, and put it into the box. Stand back, say 'Abracadabra', (whilst waving your Sooty magic wand), and a 23 year old model will climb out! After all, they do say that all the old bikes were once young and pretty. :)(y)

Silly bu**er:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

I might try that, a 23 year old model will be younger than the one I'll be buying :D

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've looked at this problem for our MH. Our box fits on the bike rack but the rack has holes drlled in it so it can be raised about another foot. If I then use a tow bar mounted bike rack there is just room for a small wheeled folding bicycle to fit, with the seat lowered and the handle bars collapsed but the bike not folded if that makes sense.

IMG_20150505462.jpg

But I am not sure we could get a second bike on the rack, it probably would fit but we only have one folding bike so I couldn't try it.

However, our thoughts now are to probably have a custom made box made from aluminium and fitted to the towbar and a pair of folding bikes would fit inside it. This would be much more secure.

You would also want to check your rear axle loading, especially if your MH has a long overhang at the rear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We have a PCV with a back box on the bike rack
I raised the carry box height and fitted a towbar mounted bike rack under it

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Fit them on the front. ..In Portugal. probably not allowed in uk.
20150121_124923.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I've looked at this problem for our MH. Our box fits on the bike rack but the rack has holes drlled in it so it can be raised about another foot. If I then use a tow bar mounted bike rack there is just room for a small wheeled folding bicycle to fit, with the seat lowered and the handle bars collapsed but the bike not folded if that makes sense.

View attachment 61650

But I am not sure we could get a second bike on the rack, it probably would fit but we only have one folding bike so I couldn't try it.

However, our thoughts now are to probably have a custom made box made from aluminium and fitted to the towbar and a pair of folding bikes would fit inside it. This would be much more secure.

You would also want to check your rear axle loading, especially if your MH has a long overhang at the rear.
You might also want to check that your front wheels still touch the road:LOL:

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Even if your not overweight the way some of these bike racks are fitted leave a lot to be desired. My van had the rack fitted at the factory. even so they only used the long self tapping screws to screw into the back of the van when they should have bolted through with a load bearing plate inside the van . I saw a few months ago that the screws had ripped the hole out and the top mounting was hanging off. I had to fix it by putting coach bolts through and out inside the van and put an alum plate to take the load. This was a nightmare as the fixed bed headboard had to come off which was an horrendous job.

AS you drive along with all that weight on imagine whats happening if you go over a bump or a speed bump a bit too fast. Even those speed restricting lines as you approach an island make the van jiggle up and down and if you have loads of weight on the back that's all dropping full weight over every bump.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
LWB VW T6.1
Tonga are you still out there!
Just spotted the back box with bike rack on top.
I think that this is the perfect solution, I need extra storage and would love to take my folding bike along, for morning trips to the boulangère. Please can you tell me what setup did you use, box and bike rack combination. We have a tow bar fitted.
Many thanks

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
>8 years in T5
I think that this is the perfect solution, I need extra storage and would love to take my folding bike along, for morning trips to the boulangère. Please can you tell me what setup did you use, box and bike rack combination. We have a tow bar fitted.
Many thanks
I used this for extra storage with a tailgate/door bike rack on the back of my T5.
It’s a Westfalia BC60 tow bar mounted cycle carrier with the Westfalia transport box.
Still got it if you’re interested as I’ve no longer got the T5 😊

EBC23261-D0BF-4376-81ED-94D3B39F91D2.jpeg

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Many thanks
He is "tonka" so you need to use the tonka to get his attention, mind you the post is from 2015 so he has had a couple of sleeps since then so will need to reboot his memory first.

ps, you might not be able to do the @ bit without being a paid up member which is very worthwhile to be fair.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Many thanks

Thanks Martin funflair .
elwyn horton sorry it's been so long and I've had at least 3 others motorhomes since then.
There are several flat luggage racks that can drop onto a tow ball and allow you to fit a box. Try a search on Thule luggage rack, bakrack etc. I have seen a few used ones on Facebook marketplace.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
LWB VW T6.1
Apologies and thanks for the advice.
I am thinking the the Thule Easy Base and the matching 400l box is the way to go.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back