Autotrail Comanche 2018 under-bed query (1 Viewer)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
hello everyone

so, does anyone have knowledge of the under-bed storage layout in a 2018 Comanche island bed model, i'm asking as i need to remove (hopefully) some of the woodwork in there to enable me to keep the awning under the bed. As it is, it's all sectioned off into smaller compartments and the large awning bag simply will not fit into any of them, the woodwork afaik is not load bearing at all but I don't want to damage it just in case i need to return it back to original.

Sorry i've not got a photo to help you understand what i mean/need to do, this is how they used to be apparently but is all now smaller wooden framed compartments

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 18.21.59.png

thanks and have a lovely weekend

Allan

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The metal framework in your photo looks to be load bearing support for the under mattress bed frame.
If this has been replaced by wooden panels on edge it may very well be operating in a similar way.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
thanks for the reply

i’m going to Autotrail mon/tues so i’ll ask them for some advice

cheers

Al 😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Take the mattress off. You will then be able to see clearly if the metal frame work stands proud of the wood. If it does, then the woodwork is for show and will be fair game to do want you want with.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
As I said in a previous post Vic the photo shows how they were built years ago, mine is nothing like that tbh.

I may have had an aged moment tbh, the metal framework i realised is now replaced with 3 sets of double draws, 1 either side and the 3rd front centre all going into the under bed area. so leaving a square section in the middle bit. Whether or not I can fold the awning to fit in the square bit might be too much to ask, i‘ll let you all know if I manage it in a week or 2 time

thanks

Al

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Can it not go in the garage, save dragging it through the van and marking the furniture.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May be a rethink, small items in the garage go under the bed to make space for it, and less chance of knocking the interior of the van.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
May be a rethink, small items in the garage go under the bed to make space for it, and less chance of knocking the interior of the van.
Sussed it out! (y)
Val's in the bed and Al's sleeping bag's in the garage!:whistle:;):giggle:

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Can it not go in the garage, save dragging it through the van and marking the furniture.

I'm afraid the garage is chockabloc full, 2 e-bikes, 4 chairs, table, awning mat, windbreak, and all manner of brushes and washing paraphernalia, we go away for months at a time so need to take everything although tbh the windbreak was erected once and its never seen the light of day since lol so that may have to go. ;)

I get the not marking the furniture bit though, its not too bad tbh, just go through the hab door, turn right through the kitchen area which is wide enough and the bed's infront of me, i'd rather not but needs must i'm afraid

thanks

Al

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

that would be an answer if all the smaller items weren't long items, table, chairs, ebikes, hab covers, all are longer i'm afraid so no room under the bed at all :crying1:

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
i’m going to Autotrail mon/tues so i’ll ask them for some advice

Al 😄
When you say 'going to Autotrail' Al, are you going to the factory? If so how did you arrange that? I have a number of issues with my 2019 Delaware that the dealer and Autotrail don't seem to be able to agree on - a factory visit with Customer services would sort them in a jiffy I'm sure!

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
When you say 'going to Autotrail' Al, are you going to the factory? If so how did you arrange that? I have a number of issues with my 2019 Delaware that the dealer and Autotrail don't seem to be able to agree on - a factory visit with Customer services would sort them in a jiffy I'm sure!

hi Ian

i'm actually taking my sons Comanche for him as he's back working, the story is he recently had a bike rack fitted which requires a lighting board connection, the installer who's really qualified, so has done the job correctly, says it needs a Sargent unit update and lo and behold it does. The van's indicators at the rear started flashing alternately even when the van was parked and locked up on his drive with no lighting board connected, which is what my son saw it doing randomly, then they'd stop again for a few days. After calling Autotrail they confirmed the Sargent unit needed an update so asked them to take it through and they are doing it monday or tuesday so i'm taking it through for them.

May I ask what issues you are having btw, my Comanche has had a few niggles, nothing major, just lights not working and various little things, quite a few though which my dealer has sorted out no problem. Then in Spain earlier this year in just went a bit bonkers, no water heater, various lights started working permanently unable to turn them off, some wouldn't come on at all, some would work buy turning on a different circuit, as in, bedroom light switch would turn off the kitchen lights, really strange thing. its turned out my Sargent unit also needed an update and hey presto its been fine since.

i would like the updates to be owner installable if i'm honest, if its just a download and install i'm pretty confident it'll be an easy job tbh.

Al

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks for the feedback Al.

I took the Delaware off to Europe within 2 days of collecting it and over the course of 8 months a few issues cropped up, some just days after leaving UK. I had to wait for the lockdown to lift before I could get it into the dealer (Tyne Valley Motorhomes) to have it serviced and discuss the list of challenges the van had. There was a list of 14 issues, and just about all of them, TVM was able to sort pretty quickly. Unfortunately, three of them have been more difficult. Two of the issues TVM had to report to Autotrail and ask permission to fix under warranty.

1. The Front Skylight not sealing and blowing in so hard that the blind gets blown in completely - that's when its closed LOL. Seems the seals don't seal and the perspex itself has warped. Yesterday they asked for 'more' photos of how the skylight does not work - I asked how I could photograph the wind blowing in... they said do what you can LOL.

2. The central locking of the van works generally, but the hab door won't now open without actually using the key in the lock. The dealer said the system was worn out ??? That failed 2 weeks after the van was collected new! Yesterday they approved the lock replacement - awaiting parts now.

But there is another (serious IMHO) problem where the bed mattress (apparently a new minimal support frame design) simply won't stay on the frame. Its a split mattress and if it's lifted to access the storage the mattress slips down the bed and is almost impossible to push back without lifting it entirely and moving it back - not simple. If it's not pushed back, because of the support frame positions, there is then a 3/4" step in the mattress that is right at my hip level LOL. They (Autotrail) suggested we either stop using the storage of have the dealer 'hack' something together to sort it (dealer quoted £78 an hour plus materials for whatever 'chop and change' they thought might work LOL).

So... a factory visit instead of sending photos and emails to Autotrail would, I suspect, get the issues sorted. Not sure if the current situation will stop them taking visitors though - hence my asking if you got an appointment at the factory?

And Breathe ...

Ian

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
no way would i let any dealer hack something about and at my cost, i'd definitely say take it back to Autotrail

"hab door system" was worn out after 2 weeks, sorry but thats another i wouldn't accept either. Ours actually packed up as well, or it wouldn't open from the inside, after stripping the inner door panel it was just the clip had come of the operation mechanism rod, so i tie-wrapped it on carefully so it didn't impeded the movement and its been fine since, but tbh i shouldn't have had to, but the first night in europe for a 4/5 months trip i had to do something.

Tyne Valley are my sons dealer as well Ian, he's nothing but praise for them but its a 2 hour journey for him both ways to get anything sorted hence its off back to Autotrail this time.

I keep looking at Cathargo's lol

Al (y)

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Yep, unhappy since we were scheduled to leave for Euroland on 1st July, then rescheduled for 4th, then 14th, now who knows. Not leaving until it is sorted though!

I’ll call Autotrail and ask for an appointment on Monday.

Cheers

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back