Autosleeper Talisman/Clubman/Legend differences? (1 Viewer)

AndyM

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We currently have a 1990 Autosleeper Rambler, but we're looking at replacing it with a Talisman of a similar age, for the extra space inside (we have two dogs, who travel in a crate on one of the couches, and we need to put up the drive-away awning when we get somewhere in order to move the crate out. With the bigger van, we could have smaller crates on the floor, and not have to put up the awning in all cases.)

We've been looking around, and have realised that the Legend and the Clubman look very similar except for being on a Ford or VW respectively.

Does anyone know of the details of what the differences actually are? I think, from looking at photos, that the Talisman may be slightly longer (there seems to be an extra narrow cupboard by the fridge, and on the other side, next to the wardrobe).

Also, any comments on the relative merits of the different base vehicles would be appreciated. We've been pretty happy with the Fiat Ducato that our Rambler is based on, so wouldn't have any worries about the Talisman base vehicles.

We're probably most interested in a 2.0 petrol version (although diesel gives higher mpg, we're close to the M25, and are worried about the Low Emission Zone which will apply to diesel vans of the age we're looking at from next year), and manual rather than auto gearbox due to the lower cost.

Also, any other vans in a similar price range we should look at? The attraction of the Talisman is the monocoque construction, and the layout works for us.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
with regard to the LEZ get registration numbers of the vehicle(s) you are thinking of buying and check them on the LEZ official website. Avoid any that have to comply by 2010. Alternatively invest in a petrol engine. When we were looking for our first mh most people told us to avoid automatics too.

Hope this helps xxxx

OP
OP
AndyM

AndyM

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
with regard to the LEZ get registration numbers of the vehicle(s) you are thinking of buying and check them on the LEZ official website.

Thanks for that information, I hadn't spotted that you could do that, however I'd be surprised if any diesel vans of the age we're after (1990-ish) were exempt.

When we were looking for our first mh most people told us to avoid automatics too.
My instinct would be to avoid them anyway; we've been told there's about a thousand pound premium for automatics (which is a significant percentage of the price we're looking to pay). Are there other reasons than cost for avoiding them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Low Emission Zone registration checking page

To save everybody else digging it out, here's the web page to check your registration number (cryptically referred to as your VRM): LEZ checker

Julie

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Julie,

Works for me.....::bigsmile:

04/02/2008Not subject to

Not subject to LEZ - Based on the information you have entered and information held by Transport for London (TfL), the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) does not apply to this vehicle. As long as the vehicle remains not subject to the LEZ the daily charge does not have to be paid for this vehicle when it is used in the zone.

Not a diesel vehicle

Thanks,

Steve.

R

reader

Deleted User
The Clubman is the smallest of the monocoque bodied Autosleepers and you may find it wont fit your needs, whilst the Legend is the biggest m-c bodied AS and is considered by many to be the finest AutoSleeper ever made. Falling in between these two vans are the Talisman and Executives. If you are considering one of these I would go for a newer model based on the Boxer which came in around 1995 I think (will stand correction on this) and dont get one with an engine smaller than the 2.5 pref a TD. There is a very active owner's club, detailst can be found on Link Removed
We changed our Executive earlier this year having had eight happy years with it, but there is only the two of us with no 4L friends. In your position I would look for a 2.5td Legend for the space

OP
OP
AndyM

AndyM

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thanks for the responses. We have just bought a '93 Talisman, and we'll be trying it out this coming weekend, visiting the Guy Fawkes carnivals in the West Country.

There is a very active owner's club, detailst can be found on Link Removed
When we first got an Auto-Sleeper last year, we looked at the web-site, but there didn't seem to be much going on; there only seemed to be some fact sheets which you had to order by post, which seems rather old-fashioned these days. What are the benefits of being a member, and what sort of activity is there?

R

reader

Deleted User
There are ASOC rallies around the country, most of the year along with a couple of Eurpoean Rallies. The club has a good working relationship with Autosleepers and there are benefits to be had from that direction.
IMO I will agree regarding sending off for the fact sheets but the site is administered by one of the members on his own webspace at his own expense and applying by post ensures that minimum disruption to his own mailboxes/web site.
There are currently trials of emailed newsletters going on and I cant see why that would not succeeed as others have been using email for this purpose for years. Many AS owners stay with the brand due to the club, for what it costs give it a try:Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Talisman for us

The Clubman is the smallest of the monocoque bodied Autosleepers and you may find it wont fit your needs, whilst the Legend is the biggest m-c bodied AS and is considered by many to be the finest AutoSleeper ever made. Falling in between these two vans are the Talisman and Executives. If you are considering one of these I would go for a newer model based on the Boxer which came in around 1995 I think (will stand correction on this) and dont get one with an engine smaller than the 2.5 pref a TD. ...We changed our Executive earlier this year having had eight happy years with it, but there is only the two of us with no 4L friends. In your position I would look for a 2.5td Legend for the space
Thanks but the old Legend (with front lounge) is shorter than the Talisman, and the newer, rear lounge version is too long to fit on our drive! (The Talisman gives us a whole 10cm to spare!)

We were surprised that funds would stretch to a '93 model. A 1995 model would definitely be beyond our means. And, as stated in our original post, we don't want diesel because of our proximity to the LEZ, combined with the fact that any diesel 'van we could afford wouldn't be exempt.

The Clubman wouldn't work for us because we need front-facing belted seats, and dinette seating arrangement, rather than the Clubman's twin benches.

We'll be in a better position to know what sort of a deal we've got after this weekend's outing, but I have no complaints about the 2L petrol engine based on my 80 mile drive home last weekend ;-)

Julie (AndyM's other half)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back