Automatic V Manual on Motorhome (2 Viewers)

Auyomatic or Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 101 78.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 28 21.7%

• Total voters

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Everything, why do you prefer reversing with a manual? Auto for everything with me apart from motorbikes!:rolleyes:
I seem to have more feel for it when reversing in a truck with a manual box rather than auto, reversing an auto seems all or nothing especially if slightly inclined. In truth I like my range change and splitter box. Old fashioned. Haha

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I seem to have more feel for it when reversing in a truck with a manual box rather than auto, reversing an auto seems all or nothing especially if slightly inclined. In truth I like my range change and splitter box. Old fashioned. Haha
That's not old fashioned, 5 speed crash box. Those were the days.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If I was city driving all the time I would go for an auto, at the moment our roads round here are not quite so congested yet. Moving up a slow line of traffic is definitely auto territory.

Norman Jones

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
It's ridiculous trying to pretend that Brexit hasn't put prices up. A 70k van 2 years ago will now cost you 100. Fact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's ridiculous trying to pretend that Brexit hasn't put prices up. A 70k van 2 years ago will now cost you 100. Fact.
I am not sure I recognise a 42% increase! The list price of the equivalent of my Hymer A class, bought new in late 2015, has certainly not gone up that much in 2.5 years.

Prices fluctuate because of many reasons, including the exchange rate. The rate has gone down, for all sorts of reasons, including the uncertainty over Brexit, but it has recovered somewhat of late. However, again the drop was never anything like 42%. And who is to say it will not increase in the future. None of us have crystal balls :D2

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So @Robert Clark you started this a year ago SO automatic or manual?

Martin
Sorry Martin
Thought I replied to this already

Went for the Auto and the 180bhp engine.

Like it very much, especially being able to change gear manually if required.

Edit: Though really do I like the automatic, it’s not the easiest and most FUN drive I’ve had.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Thats because unless you are driving a vehicle with an Allison box , it will be a self changing manual gearbox , and from experience , if doing a difficult shunt they will trigger o/heat warning , and thats down to the clutch . With an allison , it is totally progressive, and a one pedal operation . You can get same problems with self changing boxes (which most are) in small goods vehicle derivatives (MoHo)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry Martin
Thought I replied to this already

Went for the Auto and the 180bhp engine.

Like it very much, especially being able to change gear manually if required.

Edit: Though really do I like the automatic, it’s not the easiest and most FUN drive I’ve had.
Hi Robert

You did thanks post #116 but it never hurts to repeat yourself.

Martin

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
A proper automatic gearbox everytime for us. I cannot see the fascination or need of having to depress a clutch pedal and manually move a lever in order to make something go faster (n)

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back