Autograph 79-4T water tank drain. (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
I decided to give the fresh water tank a much needed clean on my 2017 Autograph 79-4T. After removing the large screw cap off the top of the tank I spotted on the inside of the tank a red plug / rubber bung on the base of the tank attached to a silver chain the sort you'd have on your bathroom sink - in the 80's :). As far as I can see this must be a plug that can be removed to drain the fresh water tank as the drain tube (with a tap on it) under the van is a very small gauge and takes ages to drain.

My question is before I try and remove something that shouldn't be removed can I remove this rubber plug / bung to empty the tank?

My concern is that if I removed it I wouldn't be able to get it back in or it would need sealing / expensive trip to the dealer?

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Kev and Ju yes, use ours every time we want to fully empty it on our 79/6, just be careful when you pull it as the chain isn't that strong but the plug has a sticky up bit you can pull

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
If it’s the same as on our old 2013 Approach 740, yes you can - we did it several times, or rather my wife did, the diameter of the screw cap meant I stripped skin off my arms trying to do it.

The key thing is to be very careful - the bung wasn’t very securely attached on ours, and the chain broke away. Without the chain, the bung can be very difficult indeed to retrieve! We ended up improving the fixing with a cable tie.

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
There’s a similar item in the waste tank - just the job when you get bored waiting for it drain provided you can park right over the collection point....

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
My question is before I try and remove something that shouldn't be removed can I remove this rubber plug / bung to empty the tank?
NO! :eek: Quick stick it back in.(y) Look what you've done!:oops:;):giggle:

1590740752316.png

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Brilliant and thanks guys.
You know what its like and we've all been there, once removed these things never go back the same and I was just a little concerned that after refitting I'd have a 'drip drip drip' from under the van and I wished I'd never bothered in the first place. Just like the hassle of refitting a radiator after removing it to paint behind when decorating:mad:. Wont be doing that again either.
Anyway, when the time comes I'll be pulling the chain, I mean the plug.:giggle:(y)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Kev,

Get Ju to lie under the van as you remove the plug to check that you are taking it out properly. If flushing the tank best to fill it fully before so that you get a decent surge and most of the debris out first go. Ju will let you know if it worked.:rolleyes:
You ask her. I'm not brave enough!

Last edited:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I decided to give the fresh water tank a much needed clean on my 2017 Autograph 79-4T. After removing the large screw cap off the top of the tank I spotted on the inside of the tank a red plug / rubber bung on the base of the tank attached to a silver chain the sort you'd have on your bathroom sink - in the 80's :). As far as I can see this must be a plug that can be removed to drain the fresh water tank as the drain tube (with a tap on it) under the van is a very small gauge and takes ages to drain.

My concern is that if I removed it I wouldn't be able to get it back in or it would need sealing / expensive trip to the dealer?
You can remove it, it will go back in, do not panic!

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Kev,

Get Ju to lie under the van as you remove the plug to check that you are taking it out properly. If flushing the tank best to fill it fully before so that you get a decent surge and most of the debris out first go. Ju will let you know if it worked.:rolleyes:
You ask her. I'm not brave enough!

That's a great idea and I'll make sure she's directly underneath as I need her to see the plug coming out. Also, I'll make sure that she's under the fresh water tank and not the grey waste as I'm always getting those two tanks mixed up :LOL:. I'm sure it'll all be clear in the Decree Absolute! Thanks for that David :LOL:

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can report that operation, "Down the plug hole" was a complete success:giggle:. The plug had obviously never been removed before and offered considerable resistance but after applying brute force it gave in and 70 litres of not so fresh water disappeared in seconds. Shame that the owners manual doesn't mention this plug in the tank as draining the tank through the drain tube that has the diameter of a drinking straw takes hours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back