Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
We have just swopped our Swift for an AutoSleeper Fairford. With the Swift, I could extend the radio “ on time “ from 30 minutes to 120 minutes with the ignition off.
The Fairford cuts out after 20 minutes, has anyone found a way of extending this limited time? I’m trying to avoid taking a separate radio / CD player.
The handbook doesn’t appear to help.
Thanks

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Unfortunately you don't say what radio it is. I'm guessing from the delay time that it may be a Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen uConnect 5.0 with the 5 inch touch screen. If so the delay time is only selectable between "Off" and the period displayed in the menu (20 minutes?).

It can be extended to 60 or 180 minutes but it involves reprogramming the body computer. You need either a main dealer with suitable diagnostic equipment and the knowledge/will to do it, or if you search my previous posts I explained how it can be done with Android/Windows software called AlfaOBD and a compatible interface.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You might want to have a look at Autosleeperforum.co.uk. There are quite a few threads about this and numerous fixes on how to disable the 20 minute limit.
But, the 20 minute limit is designed to stop your cab battery going flat, so maybe a separate radio / CD player may be a better alternative.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
The time can be extended to 180 minutes. It’s in the handbook ..
That depends on the age of the radio.

The earlier incarnation was programmable to 180 minutes, the model fitted to my 2017 Boxer isn’t. I’ve got the choice of it going off immediately when I turn the ignition off, or extending it to a 20 minute delay.

OP
OP
P
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks, particularly Deneb and Kingham.
I have looked on the AutoSleeper forum and on the later ( my ) model it is not possible to DIY .
That’s why it’s not in the handbook!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
That depends on the age of the radio.

The earlier incarnation was programmable to 180 minutes, the model fitted to my 2017 Boxer isn’t. I’ve got the choice of it going off immediately when I turn the ignition off, or extending it to a 20 minute delay.

That’s interesting. I have an A-S Broadway FB on a 2017 Peugeot Boxer chassis and you can extend the off time to 180 minutes. It’s a while since I did it but I’m sure it was through the radio menu. I can only assume that we have different radios.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
That’s interesting. I have an A-S Broadway FB on a 2017 Peugeot Boxer chassis and you can extend the off time to 180 minutes. It’s a while since I did it but I’m sure it was through the radio menu. I can only assume that we have different radios.
I’d love to be wrong on this one as it’s so frustrating having to constantly switch the radio back on, but every avenue I’ve explored ends up the same.... 20 minutes maximum :(

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
You could rewire the switching feed to the radio through a separate manual switch so the radio ignores the ignition altogether. When I’ve done this, I also rewired the main feed (the one that is permanently on) from the vehicle to the habitation batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

The VP1 radio without the touch screen can be altered through the menu. The VP2 (uConnect 5.0) can't. Someone here has/had a fairly new Westfalia PVC which was delivered with the 180 minute delay already programmed into the VP2 radio. I contacted Westfalia to ask how they did it. They referred me to Fiat. I asked Fiat and they referred me to Westfalia :rolleyes:

The same radio, but with some software differences, is fitted to the Ram Promaster in N. America. I found a procedure for changing the cut-off delay through the engineering menu. The menu is not in readable English though, it consists of sets of hex codes. If you select the wrong code, you can easily brick the radio. The engineering menu on mine bore no relation to the images in the Promaster walk through, so I didn't pursue that.

Subsequently, I found reference in a Body Converters document to the cut-off delay being programmable through the BCM. It appears to be something that many dealer techs know nothing about though. MultiEcuScan has a very limited diagnostic menu for the uConnect radio, and doesn't allow any onboard reconfiguration of speaker configuration or cut-off delay. I stumbled across AlfaOBD and after downloading the demo version and looking at the diagnostic menus for my van, decided to buy it and give it a try. I now have 0 min and 180 min options in the radio menu in place of the previous 0 and 20 minutes. The 0 minute button is not reconfigurable, but the 20 minute delay can be changed to 60 or 180 minutes.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
@Deneb If I’m ever passing through Herts, do you want to recoup some of your purchase cost ;)

No problem, but it would be at your own risk ;)

That shouldn't be an issue, but the van has to be free of any current or pending fault codes before starting the procedure.

Bear in mind I haven't tried it on a Peugeot, but AlfaOBD states it can do it.

I have diagnostic software for Fiat which allows me to download a copy of the current BCM config before starting, which means I can write it back if necessary. I don't have anything equivalent for Peugeot, and although the BCM is apparently the same, I suspect it will have a different ISO code meaning that the Fiat software won't let me connect to it to back it up.

But if you want to try, let me know ;)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but since reading this thread a few months ago I have been trying to get the cab radio in our 2017 Peugeot based autosleeper Kingham to stay on more than 20 mins without leaving on the ignition.
So today with the aid of my multimeter I removed the radio from the cab and tested every wire for voltage, to see if I could find an ignition Live feed, with the ignition turned off I found one feed at 12v plus and another feed at 4v plus, then I turned ON the ignition and tested again and I got the exact same readings. so I'm stumped
Kingham did you ever get yours sorted of hear of anyone with the same radio unit get theirs sorted?
So if I can't get this sorted I have 2 options
1. Replace cab radio with another radio. But would need to check what else the radio is used for as my reversing camera and sat nav are Seperate and in one unit.
2. Keep the cab as it is and fit a 2nd radio in the habitation but wire this into the existing speakers and run both radios from the same existing aerial?? Is that even possible??
Here is our radio
IMG_20190719_132611.jpg

Here is a pic of the rear aerial connectors, a grey and a white one,, why 2 connectors??
IMG_20190719_131050.jpg

And here are the aerial leads

IMG_20190719_131022.jpg

IMG_20190719_131008.jpg

Sugestions on what path to take??
Also what is that like micro usb type lead for to the left of the white aerial lead.
Could the ignition trigger come via it, as its like the type of lead for a Sat Nav

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I solved it, and I posted about it in this site a short while back. I can't find the post at the moment as I'm on my phone.

The off delay is controlled by a setting in the body computer and can be one of three predefined values. Fiat dealers either can't or don't want to access the setting via their diagnostic equipment, but you can do it with Android and Windows software called AlfaOBD.

You have to pay for the full version to be able to reprogram ECUs. Connect to the body computer, enter the Active Diagnostics function and select Car Configuration Change from the Procedures menu.

Select Switch Off Time from the next menu and then select 60 or 120 minutes from the sub menu.

Click on Start to write the new value to the body computer. You then need to return to the main Active Diagnostics menu and carry out the Proxi Alignment function, which copies the new configuration to the system nodes and changes the behaviour of the radio.

Edit: In fact my previous post explaining all this is a few posts back on this very thread!

OP
OP
P
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2002
Hi Bart
I am the op. As not electronically minded and the handbook offers no advice, contrary to some people’s suggestion, I opted to buy a separate freestanding radio. It is an Azatom Woodland, bought direct from Azatom, as cheaper than Amazon. They were very helpful. With this one, I can down load unto a micro card almost as many cds as I wish ( over 650 tracks to date ) and play back without ehu. I can recharge with a usb lead direct from the van. It also has a remote control all for under £50
Why have AutoSleeper fitted speakers to the rear of the van when to listen in the back means a continual plod to the front to turn the ignition on and off again!
I have the 2019 Fairford model.

OP
OP
P
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2002
Hi Bart
Deneb response just pipped mine but frankly as a non electronic bloke I would still have stuck to mine unless someone could carry out Deneb’s instructions for me!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Kingham did you ever get yours sorted......

No, I went down the blue tooth speaker route and got a Bose mini soundlink, which sits nicely in the top bedroom corner shelf recess. The sound quality is excellent and has even better bass due to sitting in the corner recess.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have just swopped our Swift for an AutoSleeper Fairford. With the Swift, I could extend the radio “ on time “ from 30 minutes to 120 minutes with the ignition off.
The Fairford cuts out after 20 minutes, has anyone found a way of extending this limited time? I’m trying to avoid taking a separate radio / CD player.
The handbook doesn’t appear to help.
Thanks
Rewired my radio to the leisure battery.BUSBY.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Deneb interesting to read that you fixed it, I read what you said here and is a possible option for me to try, could you find your detailed post? Was it on Fun?
Now you changed it in the Canbus, how long does the radio stay on for now without the ignition being turned on.?

Kingham thanks for the info I could try that, does it use much power wise?

Poursay thanks for the info :)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Deneb after a bit of searching I found you post about your fix, only to see I already read it and replied to it lol.
Is my radio the same as yours?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but since reading this thread a few months ago I have been trying to get the cab radio in our 2017 Peugeot based autosleeper Kingham to stay on more than 20 mins without leaving on the ignition.
So today with the aid of my multimeter I removed the radio from the cab and tested every wire for voltage, to see if I could find an ignition Live feed, with the ignition turned off I found one feed at 12v plus and another feed at 4v plus, then I turned ON the ignition and tested again and I got the exact same readings. so I'm stumped
Kingham did you ever get yours sorted of hear of anyone with the same radio unit get theirs sorted?
So if I can't get this sorted I have 2 options
1. Replace cab radio with another radio. But would need to check what else the radio is used for as my reversing camera and sat nav are Seperate and in one unit.
2. Keep the cab as it is and fit a 2nd radio in the habitation but wire this into the existing speakers and run both radios from the same existing aerial?? Is that even possible??
Here is our radio
View attachment 319232

Here is a pic of the rear aerial connectors, a grey and a white one,, why 2 connectors??
View attachment 319233

And here are the aerial leads

View attachment 319234
View attachment 319235

Sugestions on what path to take??
Also what is that like micro usb type lead for to the left of the white aerial lead.
Could the ignition trigger come via it, as its like the type of lead for a Sat Nav

The White and grey terminals are the FM and DAB radio ariels. The Micro USB connects to the USB connecter down in the middle below the heater controls. We don't have a storage box there just a couple of cup holders and the USB connector is in the middle.

The only way you can the ignition On / OFF signal is with a CanBus reader. Here CanBus Interface. Fiat don't provide a separate wire from the ignition key. Using one of the CanBus Interfaces gives you all the connections you need like Reverse On / Lights On / Ignition On

I have just fitted an Android Head Unit and you need a permanent 12V feed AND an ignition ON / OFF for it to work. I have a CanBus Interface fitted and the Ignition On is connected to a Delay Relay that stays on for an adjustable time when the ignition is switched off.

Pumpkin Android 9 head unit. Radio / DAB available / Reverse Camera / Phone / Internet via Phone Hotspot will run iGO Pal and other Sat Nav software. Nice large screen

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Kingham thanks for the info I could try that, does it use much power wise?
I don’t use mine constantly, usually an hour, possibly two a day and its charge from home usually lasts me a couple of weeks. It has a USB/3 pin plug charging base that it sits in if on hook up, or if wild camping, you can connect the USB directly and charge it from the cab while driving.

Bluetooth connection to my iPhone and iPad !

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Deneb after a bit of searching I found you post about your fix, only to see I already read it and replied to it lol.
Is my radio the same as yours?

It's the same OEM Continental VP2 radio aka Uconnect 5.0 used by Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen.

It stays on for 120 minutes now, because that was the delay time I selected through the body computer. In the radio settings menu, the screen now shows the two options as "0" or "120" minutes, where previously it showed the default "0" or "20".

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi busby what type and year of mh do have, and is the radio the same type as in my pics.
Thanks (y) (y)
No,my van is an old 2002 Peugeot,,,Think original radio was valve:D2:D2:D2.BUSBY.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Can't comment about dreaded canbus.
Just wired my radio to permanently live on red and yellow wire, my fault if I leave it on too long.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My isolator switch is located in the habitation area and I always forget to flick it until I am 20 minutes into my journey, the radio goes off (usually in the middle of Pop Master) and I can’t find anywhere convenient to stop.

If I leave it switched on permanently, although the radio is off, will that draw from the battery?
image.jpg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
My radio when newly fitted remained "lit" after turning off and did flatten battery over two days left alone
Found setting that turns illumination off too and have left at least three weeks and MH started fine. This is pre canbus though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back