Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
For anyone who might still be wondering how to do this on the Uconnect 5.0 (VP2) radios, I've solved it, but it's not easy!

The radio off delay is a configurable setting in the body computer. 0 minutes (switch off with the ignition) is an always available option, so you can't remove that from the radio menu, but the delay time is configurable as 20, 60 or 180 minutes.

However, it would seem from previous postings here and elsewhere that Fiat dealers are either unwilling or unable to change this setting. It may be that the option is not available in the dealer diagnostic software. It isn't possible in MultiEcuScan either, but it can be done through a useful little app called AlfaOBD, available for Android and Windows PC.

You need the registered version to be able to make programming adjustments. The Android app costs £31 through Google Play Store and is automatically activated to the download device by purchase.

You will also need a compatible OBD adaptor (Bluetooth or WiFi for the Android app, I think the PC version can also use USB connections).

After selecting Fiat Pro as the make, then your particular version of the Ducato, connect to the Body Computer. The programming option allows selection of a Car Configuration Change procedure. Amongst the options is Switch-off Time, which can be set to 20, 60 or 180 minutes as above. Once the programming has completed, you need to carry out a Proxi Alignment procedure to ensure that the configuration change is notified to the network nodes on the vehicle. However, this is somewhat difficult with the Android app as you need a different connector cable for the OBD adaptor to be able to connect to some of the nodes that the Proxi Alignment procedure needs to write to, so I found it easiest to switch back to MultiEcuScan to complete the process. After the Proxi Alignment has completed, switch off the ignition, remove the key and shut all doors for at least 1 minute - job done (y)

I was also able to clear two persistent trouble codes on my van, related to non-existent rear speakers. Because the van was factory configured with a connection at the conversion socket for rear speakers, the Telematics ECU has always complained of L&R rear speaker wiring faults as none are actually fitted. I was able to also change the Acoustic Configuration and Speaker Configuration settings in the BCU from 6 to 4 speaker cab - no more trouble codes and everything is working as it should :)

AlfaOBD also appears to allow programming of Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Relay ECUs, although not having either of those vans I can't try it.

One warning about AlfaOBD though: It allows you to attempt to program a lot of settings which may not be applicable to your vehicle, so you really need to know the default configuration before you start or you could find yourself in a lot of trouble. It would be better if it only showed the settings that are present for the ECU it is currently connected to, in my opinion.
Deffo very informative and something that i would not even attempt , guess my Balls are just not that big :)

RichardSFC

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Dear Deneb,

Don't know if you're still monitoring this thread?...

I'm looking to solve this very problem on Citroen Relay I bought new last year. It has UConnect3 radio. As with many other posts on this thread I've been in touch with everyone who may be relevant (inc Citroen and Fiat) and they claim to know nothing about it.. My local Citoren dealer had a look through his dignostic software but couldn't find a relevant setting. So I'm now looking at 'AlphaOBD' as you suggest. One problem I may encounter however is (to quote from their web site); "Starting from Model Year 2018 FCA installs the Security Gateway Module (SGW) which blocks access to diagnostics for the third-party software."

Do you know anything about this? Presumably your van is pre 2018?

Thanks.

Richard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
RichardSFC I'm not sure which radio you have fitted. UConnect3 appears to be a US spec unit similar to the VP2 Uconnect 5.0 but with a slightly different fascia. The off delay reprogramming function in AlfaOBD is intended for the VP2 Uconnect 5.0 radio, with touchscreen menus and optionally also a CD drive and/or nav unit, which looks like the image in post #19 above.

There is also a more basic radio with a smaller monochrome screen display (VP1) which I believe can have it's off delay time changed through the radio menu as per post #22.

Until very recently, I wasn't aware of the SGW unit being fitted to Ducatos (or other Sevel vans) but it appears that it can now be ordered as an extra cost option according to the Fiat configurator, which tends to suggest it is still not fitted by default. In any case, as a Fiat specific module, I'm not sure whether it is being fitted in the Citroen or Peugeot variants.

If one is present, it's not the end of the world as by-pass devices are now available which make the SGW rather redundant anyway.

If you are sure that you have the VP2 radio, best suggestion I can make is to try connecting to the BCM with the unregistered version of AlfaOBD. If that works and you want to go ahead with the change, pay for registration to unlock it.

RichardSFC

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Dear Deneb,

Thanks for response. My radio unit is identical (at least in looks) to the image in post #19. It has a touch screen display. I've checked out similar radio units in 'off the shelf' motorhomes and they indeed have '180mins' as the delay option.

I'd like to attempt your suggestion of connecting using the unregistered software but I'll need an 'OBD adaptor'. They seem both expensive and sourced from abroad (mainly USA). I'd rather not spend a lot of money to find it's an incompatible unit and/or I can't achieve my goals. Any ideas for an adapter?

I was thinking that a simpler route would be to find an independent garage that has suitable software. Any ideas where I might start with that?

Many thanks.

Richard

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
You can buy cheap ELM bluetooth adapters on eBay and similar, originating from China, but they don't work reliably with the OBD protocols used on the Ducato in my experience, probably because the Chinese cloned chips are known to have a bug in them. You might get away with one just to check whether you can connect to the vehicle, but I wouldn't rely on them for reprogramming operations.

The AlfaOBD author recommends the OBDlink MX series of bluetooth adapters or OBDkey bluetooth for the Android app. OBDkey is a British product and cheaper than OBDlink, but still costs about £90 -£100 from memory. That's what I use with AlfaOBD. You can buy direct from the company:

You might also need a yellow MultiEcuScan adapter cable when you carry out a Proxi Alignment. They cost about £10 and can be bought from Gendan:

I'm not 100% sure whether you need that cable for a Proxi Align, but it is needed to connect to some ECUs. I always use MES to do a Proxi Align as it is a physical connection rather than wireless.

I doubt you'd find a garage with suitable software. AlfaOBD is the only software I know of that can re-write the proxi file with the necessary reprogramming option.

RichardSFC

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Dear Deneb,

Thanks again for all the information. The question I now have to ask myself is, is it worth it? £105 on an adapter to find out if I may be able to reach the settings I need. Then £50 on the software, possibly another £60 if I need an SGW Bypass module and another £10 if I need a MultiEcuScan adapter cable . £225 in total to keep the radio on. Much as I'd love to achieve it, maybe I'll stick with my Bluetooth speaker and phone!

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have to agree with you if that is all you would want it for. You could switch it back on every 20 minutes ;)

As I do my own maintenance on several vehicles it's worth the investment for me. The cost of the kit was less than the difference between the cost of an oil change by me or by a dealer.I keep the dongle and adapter lead in the van, and as long as I have my phone with me I have a full systems diagnostic reader and programmer available at all times (y)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
The FM/As + 2 fix worked for me. However, I found that it only works if the ignition is switched on. 2013 Boxer.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The FM/As + 2 fix worked for me. However, I found that it only works if the ignition is switched on. 2013 Boxer.

But that's not the VP2 radio which doesn't have preset buttons, is canbus controlled and takes its configuration from the body computer ;)

Feb 26, 2021
Swansea
Funster No
MH
elddis 125
Exp
since 2020
My peugeot boxer 2019 has zero or 180 mins can either be changed, at the moment i have it set on zero when the ignition is turned off the radio goes off, I just turn the radio back on without the ignition on, then try to remember to turn it off lol...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My peugeot boxer 2019 has zero or 180 mins can either be changed, at the moment i have it set on zero when the ignition is turned off the radio goes off, I just turn the radio back on without the ignition on, then try to remember to turn it off lol...
This thread is older than your van. :LOL:

Aug 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Suntor Compass
hi there - we recently disconnected the battery in our motorhome only to find that when reconnected the radio is asking for a CODE. Looked in the manual but nothing. I've tried random numbers but realise that's like the lottery! Found on a site that you can pay £6.99 to get a code but you need a serial number of the radio. Now we can't get the radio out to find the serial number! There is no tool we can think of that will release it - it's not a straightforward

Anyone got any idea how to take out the radio? We have a Peugeot Boxer Suntor Compass.

thank you in advance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back