Auto radio off over-ride (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone over-ridden the auto radio off function on the Peugeot Boxer cab radios?
I would like to stop it turning off as i use an FM DAB transmiitter. The cab battery is charged by the PV panel so running the battery down is not an issue.
Any tried and tested solutions grayefully received.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Bump as we would like to resolve this also.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
On mine I changed the live feed from the red wire to the yellow wire, which is a feed for allowing the radio to retain station memory when the radio is off. Easy to check out with a multi meter to see if the yellow (if you have one) is always live.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
If your van is pre 2015 (I think) it can be done. If, like ours, it’s newer, it cannot be done without changing the radio, and getting some sort of re programming & rewiring I think! I’ve searched all forums for this, and have had to settle for getting up every 20 minutes! :oops:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
It’s ridiculous that fiat chose to allow 180 minutes, and Peugeot didn’t! I find it very frustrating that the good speakers in the rear are a waste of time! Might as well have had small cupboards!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Ours is a 2017 Ducato and we connected the red and yellow from the radio into the yellow and leave the red and it's On all the time. (y) Bob.
IMG_20180509_185427021.jpg

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It’s ridiculous that fiat chose to allow 180 minutes, and Peugeot didn’t! I find it very frustrating that the good speakers in the rear are a waste of time! Might as well have had small cupboards!

Fiat have no option other than 20 minutes on the VP2 (Uconnect 5) radios either.

Joho

Free Member
Jun 10, 2018
Funster No
Hey there, the most efficient way to do it is to run a live from your leisure to under dash then get a 2 way rocker switch, cut the yellow wire from radio side and extend it to the middle pin on said rocker switch then put your leisure battery live in to one and the other side of the yellow wire, the van side (ignition live) in to the other and then you can switch it to cab when driving and leisure when you are not and leave it in the middle to turn it off, this is how most German manufacturers wire it

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes the tools make life easier, know what you mean about a pain. :LOL:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Please tell me how? I've even been in the engineering menu and there's nothing obvious!

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
A kindly villager went and picked up a pair of “keys” and I pulled the radio out. I wasn’t prepared or surprised at what I found. Now undecided what to do, but finding a permanent live maybe the way forward.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
It’s ridiculous that fiat chose to allow 180 minutes, and Peugeot didn’t! I find it very frustrating that the good speakers in the rear are a waste of time!

It's beyond daft...

My AS is the same, decent speakers in the rear - which turn off every 20mins...

The more annoying part of all this, is that the radios are identical. I'm convinced this is a software issue.

Either the radio software, or the base vehicle... but I'd put money on it being software, rather than hardware :(

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's beyond daft...

My AS is the same, decent speakers in the rear - which turn off every 20mins...

The more annoying part of all this, is that the radios are identical. I'm convinced this is a software issue.

Either the radio software, or the base vehicle... but I'd put money on it being software, rather than hardware :(

My understanding is that all Sevel can-bus equipped vehicles including Fiat are software limited to either 0 or 20 minutes shut off, at least on the VP2 Uconnect 5.0 radio units. My Ducato is similarly limited.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but waiting for @Driventemple to enlighten me.

The issue is, that because of the way these radios integrate into the vehicle's network, the instrument cluster and body computer nodes also have to remain awake whilst they are on. How rewiring the supply feed might possibly affect this I have no idea.

It is certainly not just a Sevel van issue. I have the same limitation in my Volvo.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks @Driventemple (y)

I have the same menu, but only the option of 0 or 20 minutes. I can't find any way to select "Campermode" on that radio and even Fiat say it can't be done.

I found how to access the engineering menu, but nothing there that helps.

Just to confirm, is your van an X290?

Can you tell me what your radio reports if you hold down RADIO + MEDIA + BROWSE/ENTER at the same time for 5 seconds?

Mine says Software version: 06.03.03.00

(To exit that screen switch the radio off using the ON/OFF button and then switch it ON again)

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Please excuse my lack of Ducato knowledge as I'm ex-VW!
As far as I know, it's a 2017 X290 Maxi.
Pressing that combination gives me nothing! Tried it with radio on and radio off.
Gone through all the menus and can't see software version anywhere for the radio, only the TomTom bit

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I found this some time ago on another forum, can't remember which. I have a 2009 Citroen Relay and posted this to the WildAx Owners' Group, (nearly all WildAxes are Relays) Several reported success, but sadly it didn't help mine. However, some may find it useful.
Radio reset.jpg

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Please excuse my lack of Ducato knowledge as I'm ex-VW!
As far as I know, it's a 2017 X290 Maxi.
Pressing that combination gives me nothing! Tried it with radio on and radio off.
Gone through all the menus and can't see software version anywhere for the radio, only the TomTom bit

OK, not to worry. Your van is a year newer than mine, so probably a later software revision. I know there were a couple of older software versions on the radio before the one that's currently on mine.

Time to speak to Fiat again, I think!

Currently eating my hat ;)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I found this some time ago on another forum, can't remember which. I have a 2009 Citroen Relay and posted this to the WildAx Owners' Group, (nearly all WildAxes are Relays) Several reported success, but sadly it didn't help mine. However, some may find it useful.View attachment 237100

That should work on the VP1 radios, but the Uconnect 5.0 with touchscreen doesn't have those buttons.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry I am not among the knowledgeable people, I tried it and it didn't work for me, that's all I know. You are obviously one of several on here who know more.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
An update on this. I had my radio software updated to the latest version, but still 0 or 20 minutes are the only options displayed. I contacted Westfailia and Swift, who I understand both have uConnect radios in their conversions with a 180 minute cut off in place of the standard 20 minute menu option. Both referred me to Fiat, saying it was nothing to do with them. Fiat say it can't be changed from 20 minutes. Someone must be lying!

There are numerous sub-menus in the engineering menu on these radios, but most with very cryptic descriptions that give no indication of what they actually do. I know that one menu can change the speaker configuration of the radio for example, by disabling the rear speaker connection and hence the fader control, but have heard of people bricking these radios by experimenting with the wrong options, so am not inclined to investigate any further.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wouldn't the easiest, if not the cheapest, solution be to fit a radio of your choosing in the hab area wired to the hab battery and existing (or optional) speakers.
I know there's a radio in the dash just asking to be used but this seems to be causing so many problems to be not worth the trouble.

OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
It works!!!!!!! 2011 Peugeot Boxer base vehicle. I have been after a solution for ages and here it is. Thank you Viennese.
You also get access to other editable functions like turning off the volume limiter and SVC high, low or off - whatever that is!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
For anyone who might still be wondering how to do this on the Uconnect 5.0 (VP2) radios, I've solved it, but it's not easy!

The radio off delay is a configurable setting in the body computer. 0 minutes (switch off with the ignition) is an always available option, so you can't remove that from the radio menu, but the delay time is configurable as 20, 60 or 180 minutes.

However, it would seem from previous postings here and elsewhere that Fiat dealers are either unwilling or unable to change this setting. It may be that the option is not available in the dealer diagnostic software. It isn't possible in MultiEcuScan either, but it can be done through a useful little app called AlfaOBD, available for Android and Windows PC.

You need the registered version to be able to make programming adjustments. The Android app costs £31 through Google Play Store and is automatically activated to the download device by purchase.

You will also need a compatible OBD adaptor (Bluetooth or WiFi for the Android app, I think the PC version can also use USB connections).

After selecting Fiat Pro as the make, then your particular version of the Ducato, connect to the Body Computer. The programming option allows selection of a Car Configuration Change procedure. Amongst the options is Switch-off Time, which can be set to 20, 60 or 180 minutes as above. Once the programming has completed, you need to carry out a Proxi Alignment procedure to ensure that the configuration change is notified to the network nodes on the vehicle. However, this is somewhat difficult with the Android app as you need a different connector cable for the OBD adaptor to be able to connect to some of the nodes that the Proxi Alignment procedure needs to write to, so I found it easiest to switch back to MultiEcuScan to complete the process. After the Proxi Alignment has completed, switch off the ignition, remove the key and shut all doors for at least 1 minute - job done (y)

I was also able to clear two persistent trouble codes on my van, related to non-existent rear speakers. Because the van was factory configured with a connection at the conversion socket for rear speakers, the Telematics ECU has always complained of L&R rear speaker wiring faults as none are actually fitted. I was able to also change the Acoustic Configuration and Speaker Configuration settings in the BCU from 6 to 4 speaker cab - no more trouble codes and everything is working as it should :)

AlfaOBD also appears to allow programming of Peugeot Boxer and Citroen Relay ECUs, although not having either of those vans I can't try it.

One warning about AlfaOBD though: It allows you to attempt to program a lot of settings which may not be applicable to your vehicle, so you really need to know the default configuration before you start or you could find yourself in a lot of trouble. It would be better if it only showed the settings that are present for the ECU it is currently connected to, in my opinion.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Interesting... thanks for sharing (y)

I'd suggest that by charging people £10 quid a pop you could make your money back in no time :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back