At my age everything technical is hard HELP with a firestick? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
As above re technical problems I have trouble! I need VERY VERY simple answer to the question re firestick.

Can I receive LIVE tv via a firestick while abroad?

If so how do I fix it to work?

I would like to receive it via my tv and or my iPad.

I have a 4g thingy on the roof which most of the time I can receive good reception on my iPad.

Please explain in very simple terms!

Colyboy the litter picker

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
To get live tv you need to watch it through an app eg bbc iplayer , itv hub ,tvplayer, or UKTV Play app .(y) To download apps go to Apps and then categories , then entertainment, then select the one to download, with some apps you need to log in once

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Tvplayer is a good free app for watching BBC, itv etc and downloadable directly from the firestick BUT if using it abroad it requires a VPN. I use a paid VPN but there are free ones out there, I'm sure other funsters could advise on these. A VPN basically makes the Tvplayer app think you are in the UK when set for the UK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tvplayer is a good free app for watching BBC, itv etc and downloadable directly from the firestick BUT if using it abroad it requires a VPN. I use a paid VPN but there are free ones out there, I'm sure other funsters could advise on these. A VPN basically makes the Tvplayer app think you are in the UK when set for the UK.
You don't need a VPN if using a UK SIM.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all your answers but how do fix all this so that I can watch uk tv abroad with out a satellite?
Forgot to say I really like to watch Eurosport.

litter picker Colyboy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No one mentioned satellite they are apps you download to your firestick/phone/tablet, there is a Eurosport app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
what's a VPN??
Its a virtual private network, it basically allows you to choose which country you want to appear to be in. You can set it to UK and it will allow you to use some apps which normally need to be used in the UK only to work (but not all vpns work with apps like BBC iplayer)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Thanks for all your answers but how do fix all this so that I can watch uk tv abroad with out a satellite?

litter picker Colyboy
The firestick needs only Internet access so it connects to your 4g service or any campsite/other wifi

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Just bought a fire stick to use in the tv in the lounge!Took a while suss it out but works fine.will have to wait to see if it will also work in our Avtex tv in the camper.When we are in France or poor reception areas I get the portable sat dish out(bought with a sat receiver from Aldi for £49)years ago!Firestick may save doing that although it’s not a problem and always works😊

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As above re technical problems I have trouble! I need VERY VERY simple answer to the question re firestick.

Can I receive LIVE tv via a firestick while abroad?

Please explain in very simple terms!
I'm with you there colyboy . I don't even know what a firestick is. I could Google it although I won't as obviously I've never needed one. (Like so many other essentials. ;) )

Mar 2, 2021
UK & Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2017
We do exactly what you want to do.

We have a Firestick connected to our Avtex tv, which connects to the campsite wifi. In order to watch anything via wifi from the UK, as has already been mentioned, we have to connect via a VPN.

Search 'our tour firestick' on the internet for a video of what the whole thing looks like and how to set up. I found it really useful.

I would recommend you get the latest, fastest version of the Firestick available. At the time we bought ours there were a couple of versions available with little difference in price for the better one.

Good luck.

Deleted User
You need a data source. This can be either a mobile phone with Hotspot facility and big data, or a mifi with a data card registered in the UK - 3 Internet With Legs for example and a TV with a HDMI port at the back or side. To set up, turn on your data source, phone hotspot or mifi and plug in the firestick to your TV. When you turn on the firestick it will search for a signal source, similar to your home WiFi, select the source and tether it using the password you have already set up and that's it. You don't need a VPN so forget anything about that - the firestick setup is fairly intuitive just follow the on screen instructions. Just to reiterate you don't need a VPN to use a firestick abroad if it's tethered to a UK registered data card.
If you have WiFi at home try it there on the drive first then when you go away tether it to your phone or mifi instead.
Good luck.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I’m using a roof mounted antenna that provides me with WiFi in the van via my Sky SIM card.

I use a firestick with a range of apps and also VPN and IPTV.

So regardless where I am in the world I get live tv, catch-up, movies and sports and via my U.K. sim that I can top up from my unused data allowance thats carried over each month.

So I’m on a win, win and all I have to do is turn on the TVs one in the lounge and one in the bedroom an away I go.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I thinks it's a boy scout. I expect you need two. Rub together and poof you have fire. :unsure:
Thanks, but I think I'll pass on the 'rub together' and 'poof' advice. I suppose that's why motorhomers pull their blinds down before watching the telly.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

litter picker Colyboy
Must be easy Colyboy because I got mine working ok and I can't even cut and paste.Cant tell you how I got it going though but it works..BUSBY😃

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Colyboy, I have just watched how to set up the Fire Stick on “ Our Tour “ and come to the conclusion that if I have to wade through all that installation stuff then I will have no alternative but to talk to the wife if my standard aerial or sat dish cannot find a signal.
I hope you have more patients than me, good luck.

BernieT

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If you are using a UK sim you can watch all the UK live tv via their apps on your fire stick. If using out of UK data sim or wifi from a campsite you will need a VPN

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What is a Firestick, how does it work, and how do I connect it to my TV?

At home you have a router. This is a two-sided device. One side connects to the internet, over the phone line. The other side sets up wifi in the house, so you can connect your iPad to the router. The router then connects your iPad to the internet.

In the motorhome, there is also a router. It's the mifi device with the aerial on the roof. One side connects to the aerial, has a SIM, and connects to the mobile phone mast, and so to the internet. The other side sets up wifi in the motorhome, so you can connect your iPad to the router. The router then connects your iPad to the internet.

A Firestick is a like a small iPad:

It has no screen, because it uses the TV as a screen.

It has built-in wifi connection capability, so you can connect it to the router, and so to the internet, just like your iPad.

It has no keyboard, so if you have to type in passwords you have to use the remote to select letters from an on-screen keyboard. Fortunately there's very little typing-in of passwords required, but sadly when setting it all up you can't avoid them.

It has Apps, just like your iPad. Obviously the ones already on it will be TV apps like iPlayer, Netflix etc. If you want others you can download and install them just like you can with an iPad.

The mechanics of the Firestick are pretty simple. You can plug it straight into a free HDMI slot on your TV. Most of these slots are not convenient for a Firestick, so a small extension HDMI cable is provided to make connection easier.

There's no battery in a Firestick, so it needs a power supply. It has a micro-USB input socket, and a USB lead comes with it. It will sometimes work from a USB socket on the TV, but often these don't provide enough power. The Firestick comes with a small mains plug USB adapter. In a motorhome you may have to sort out a 12V USB adapter from a convenient 12V socket. The lucky ones will have a built-in USB socket ready to use.

The Firestick first needs to connect to your wifi. Use the remote to navigate to the 'Connect to Local Network', select your wifi name, and enter the password, slowly and painfully. Once it's connected, it will remember the password, so you won't have to enter it again.

So that's it. Your Firestick is working, giving your TV the ability to run TV Apps via the internet, like iPlayer, which streams live TV, or films, previous TV programs etc.

Because it all comes through the internet, no TV aerial or satellite dish is required. The downside is, it all comes through the router's SIM card, which needs to have a suitable data package for all that streamed TV data.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Also when first using it you will have to sign into things like iplayer , my5 and YouTube

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Have you managed to get your Fire Stick working Paul ? I will have another go tomorrow as all the help given makes it sound possible, do’nt hold your breath on my success though.

BernieT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back