Astra 2 has disappeared ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Two weeks ago in Derbyshire my Alden satellite system ( new HD box in 2015 ) was performing normally, but last week in Dorset it would not find Astra 2 ( 28E North beam ). I could get Astra 1 and Hotbird easily,,but no Astra 2. Others on site had no problem locking on to Astra 2.
Tried different positions on site, a couple of stops on the way home and at home - but all the same.
Anyone else had the same experience ? And how did you solve the problem ?
Thanks
Bill

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had an Alden onelite 60 system on our 2015 van worked for a while then had nothing but trouble so ditched it for an Oyster system from Jacksons.
Here's the contact for alden
Ron Griffiths
Miriad (Alden)01283 586072

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
have you tried locking onto the other option Astra2 south beam?

How long are you leaving the system to try and lock on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I had something similar with our Oyster Cytrac last year at Southport. Would not lock onto Astra2 but locked onto Astra1 and hot bird. Turned out that the transponder had changed which locks onto the satellite. After a quick call to the installer I changed the transponder code and it locked on straight away. HTH.

OP
OP
T
Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Thanks all. Yes, tried south beam but no joy. Left dish rotating until it gave up and closed automatically.
Thanks for that link - I'll give him a call. Have messaged VanBitz, who were the original installers, but no reply yet.
Will advise progress - or lack thereof.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Two weeks ago in Derbyshire my Alden satellite system ( new HD box in 2015 ) was performing normally, but last week in Dorset it would not find Astra 2 ( 28E North beam ). I could get Astra 1 and Hotbird easily,,but no Astra 2. Others on site had no problem locking on to Astra 2.
Tried different positions on site, a couple of stops on the way home and at home - but all the same.
Thanks
Bill
New HD Box, 2015? Who supplied that and set it up for you? There have been no significant changes since then

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
we have been incredibly busy and the phones have been ringing all day which of course we cant complain about.. could do with just a few more hours in the day!!

I have your email that has now been forwarded over to me and replying now for you.

kind regards James

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Eddie

See the message I sent via your website.
Also, James has asked me to call him back.

Thanks
When we are busy with customers in the branch and the phones are very busy I am afraid that emails get read when we can. Sometimes they don't get dealt with until the evenings.

Which HD box did you buy? Is it a controller and a digibox?

We have no experience of those boxes to be honest, it may be worth giving your supplier a call and asking them if there is a update?

There have been no changes though that I am aware of

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Eddie/James just so you know, 12051 V is no longer transmitting. I've had a few phone calls about it since Thursday last week. Just checked it myself and it's definitely dead.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Eddie/James just so you know, 12051 V is no longer transmitting. I've had a few phone calls about it since Thursday last week. Just checked it myself and it's definitely dead.
Probably explains why my system cannot lock on. Was OK 2 weeks ago on my drive and van hasn't moved since then .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There have been no changes though that I am aware of

LOL I am now aware! You will need contact Alden and they will be able to advise what needs to be done to update the settings. It should be straightforward

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Would this explain why our Alden system ( half moon SSC) has stopped working. And is there anything I can do to ivercome it?
Thanks

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Many thanks. Will do that.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

I had the same problem Thursday/Friday last week in mid France.

In desperation, went onto Jackson website and changed all the latest 4 transponder settings they show for Astra 2 (updated April 2017). I have an Oyster Vision II.

Bingo, locked on straight away.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks
Bill

If you've "Tried different positions and had a couple of stops on the way home" I can't imagine you've had much time for TV anyway, I suggest an early night might be best as it sounds like you've had a hard day:D

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
I had the same problem Thursday/Friday last week in mid France.

In desperation, went onto Jackson website and changed all the latest 4 transponder settings they show for Astra 2 (updated April 2017). I have an Oyster Vision II.

Bingo, locked on straight away.

Glad to hear you got your system sorted Wagoneer however I wouldn't really recommend using frequency update sheets found on the internet. They are not always up to date for one and updating the frequencies does require you to access a hidden menu within the system. I'm sure you're more than capable of operating the system so please don't think I'm questioning your intelligence however there are a lot of other options in the hidden menu which, if accessed by accident, could be detrimental to the system. As these sheets do not contain a "what to do if you do something wrong or change something you shouldn't" section then I would always recommend contacting our office if you need to update the frequency set. We are more than happy to talk any and all Oyster customers through the process and stay on the line until you have the system up and locked once more. All at no cost to you the customer.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Wagoneer
Could you possibly let me know the alternative transponder settings you have ?
Thanks
Bill

The first change I made was to Transponder 0.
Frequency 11265
Polorisation 1V
Symbol 27500
FEC 2
IQ 1
You'll probably only need to change the frequency.

Good warning by Anthony about accessing the hidden menu. I think on the Oyster system there is a way of changing the frequency without going into the hidden menu.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
That there is although the following information is for Vision II and Vision III only!!

When the system is searching press and hold the right hand arrow down. After a few seconds the system will then display the current search frequency that the system is looking for. While still holding the right arrow down press (and release) the left arrow to change to the next frequency in the list. Let go of the right arrow and allow the system to search until it locks on. That frequency will then be the default unless altered again.
There are 4 different frequencies programmed in for each satellite that the Oyster can search. The system will change the frequency automatically but only when it has searched it's entire elevation range for the current default which takes around 15-20 minutes so the above procedure will allow you to change the default without waiting. If the new default does not lock on either then it may be that the new frequency is not operating either so just repeat the procedure. If you cannot get any joy from any of the four frequencies it is possible that they are all dead, in which case we can talk you through manually updating over the phone free of charge, or that the LNB has developed a fault which we would need to inspect to verify.
If you do find that none of the four programmed frequencies work and we update them manually please note that the other search satellites that the system has stored may have had frequency changes also and that these will not be restored unless the software is updated.
Depending on the age, control box type and software version currently on the system it may be able to be updated via SD card. The software files as well as instructions are available on our website, again at no cost, here: http://ten-haaft.com/rmc-en/updates/ and if you are struggling I or one of my colleagues are at the end of a phone to offer assistance where needed on 01858575928.

Hope this all helps.

OP
OP
T
Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Glad to report that Alden in Strasbourg have sent me a new set of software files. Copied onto a USB and following the slightly vague instructions downloaded into the box.
Bingo, transponder frequency changed and Astra 2 returned in all its glory.
Thanks all round.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We also have had problems locking on in France to Astra 2. We had the oyster cytrak system fitted only a few months ago. So back on the phone to the suppliers (whilst in France) unfortunately they could not determine what the problem was, so gave us the number to ring oyster direct. Unfortunately Anthony was also away sunning himself but spoke to a great guy called Pat, we went through everything inc the secret menu, all seemed ok with the software. So... totally baffled, maybe it's the twin lnb that has broke or could be very unlucky and have a faulty box? Either way, two weeks in France and no tv or music. Good job we know how to talk! It's still under warranty and we are now back in the uk, so come Monday it's over to Oyster and our fitter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back