May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Just had a call from the garage.....failed the MOT :frowny:
  • Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
  • Rear fog lamp obviously incorrectly positioned (4.5.4 (a))
Handbrake ok....just needs adjusting, we had the same issue on our previous MH. But the fog light was a bit of a surprise.....its not an import, its a UK spec MH. And it passed last year.
All I can think of is that they are looking at the bike rack lights not the actual MH lights? Its a Memo chassis-mounted rack (great bit of kit), and its true the fog light is on the passenger side not the driver's side - maybe we should have removed the rack before taking over there? But it passed with last year with the rack left on (different MOT station) so it didn't even occur to us :cautious:

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
It will be because the fog light MUST be centre or offside. So UK drivers side.

If you have single reverse light, it may be a case of needing to swap them. All depends on the design of your rear.
I can't remember exactly what the MH has on the back, but its a standard UK build so I'm fairly certain its compliant.....I also think we'd have heard by now if there was a general problem with Rapidos having the wrong lights for the UK market :wub:

Like I said, I can only think that they're looking at the bike rack lights (which is European spec) instead of the actual MH lights. I don't know whether this is the right or wrong way to do it though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Do you have a pic of the rear?

As you say, if the rack has near side fog light then that is probably the problem. This time you could just remove rack, and get MOT then sort out the lights to comply in your own time.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Looks like it would be an easy job to correct, if itā€™s similar to internet pic.
Swap L to R light lens, and a few wire swaps.
E69D0977-175C-43FC-91F9-3DC9150C892E.png

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Do you have a pic of the rear?
Not to hand....but it'll be the same as this one: https://gcc-repossessed.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/1-3-1.jpg

As you say, if the rack has near side fog light then that is probably the problem. This time you could just remove rack, and get MOT then sort out the lights to comply in your own time.
I'm not sure how we'd be able to change the lights on the rack though....it appears to be a sealed unit. Maybe we just need to remember to remove the rack for the MOT each year - its only a 5 minute job.

I've been trying to find out (unsuccessfully!) whether they should be testing the rack or not......its not a permanent part of the vehicle (can be removed without tools), but it obviously was in place when the vehicle was presented for the MOT. Seems likely that last year's tester didn't consider it as part of the test because it was also on for the MOT last year and it passed then.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Looks like it would be an easy job to correct, if itā€™s similar to internet pic.
Swap L to R light lens, and a few wire swaps.
Yep that's the one. You make it sound easy...but I wouldn't know where to start.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
But as you say the van is a uk build so will be ok, it will be the bike carrier.

If the bike carrier is similar to the one I showed above it will be a case of swapping left to right lens cover and then swapping the reverse wire, and fog light wire in the connector or junction box.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I've been trying to find out (unsuccessfully!) whether they should be testing the rack or not......its not a permanent part of the vehicle (can be removed without tools), but it obviously was in place when the vehicle was presented for the MOT. Seems likely that last year's tester didn't consider it as part of the test because it was also on for the MOT last year and it passed then.
The vehicle is tested as presented. You presented it with the bike rack fitted and the lights were wrong.
Sounds like your van should have failed last year as well.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
If the bike rack obscures the van lights then I'd say its a fail but if you can see the van lights and the bike rack lights its a pass as you will have 2 visible fog lamps 1 on each side

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I think you really need to speak to the mot tester when you go to the garage and find out what exactly is the problem with the fog as much of this is pure speculation.

Do you have twin rear fog lights and it's a case of the bulb has failed in the offside one and the tester hasn't noticed, so it looks like it's mounted incorrectly as only the nearside is illuminated

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The vehicle is tested as presented. You presented it with the bike rack fitted and the lights were wrong.
Sounds like your van should have failed last year as well.
If that's the case, then yes it possibly should have failed last year too.

If the bike rack obscures the van lights then I'd say its a fail but if you can see the van lights and the bike rack lights its a pass as you will have 2 visible fog lamps 1 on each side
Good point....I've got a screenshot from the CCTV...its not totally square-on, but I think the only lights that are obscured are the reversing lights.
If we flip the rack down to it's loading position then none of the lights are obscured.

MH Rack.jpg

I think you really need to speak to the mot tester when you go to the garage and find out what exactly is the problem with the fog as much of this is pure speculation.

Do you have twin rear fog lights and it's a case of the bulb has failed in the offside one and the tester hasn't noticed, so it looks like it's mounted incorrectly as only the nearside is illuminated
Absolutely need to speak to the tester - not been able to yet though. But that's a good point if we have a blown bulb on the offside (we meant to check all the lights but forgot, did manage to remember to top up the wash-wipe though!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion the lights on the rack are rearmost so are the ones which must comply.
I have a Polish built trailer which has the fog light on the near side. . And that trailer has a UK certificate of conformity(CoC) which means it SHOULD conform to UK construction and use laws. Not worth the paper it's written on.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Even if you remove the rack there wold be a fog light on the pffside of the van as UK standard. It may be they are being a bit pedantic in that as the bike rack complete with lights, number plate& marker board is fitted they are the actual lights to be tested. Theoretically once the bike rack is fitted you can remove all the other lights.Therefore the fog light legally needs to be the other side.
Take bike rack off & take back

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If it was a blown bulb the fail would be ā€œfog light inoperativeā€œ, not ā€œincorrectly positionedā€œ

Agree with above comments that the tester is being pedantic, but if you put lights on the back of original lights these are the ones that are going to be tested. Another tester may have been a bit more easy on the rules, but that doesnā€™t make him, or it, correct.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Another question is if you take it off for the mot is it then legally ok to refit with the lights the wrong way around,?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Another question is if you take it off for the mot is it then legally ok to refit with the lights the wrong way around,?
In the Uk,yes. But it would also have 2 fog lights, one each side.Just that legally they should be the other way around. .Offside on the outer

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In the Uk,yes. But it would also have 2 fog lights, one each side.Just that legally they should be the other way around. .Offside on the outer
Probably easiest to just add an extra offside foglamp to the rack. Only one wire and an earth

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
if it failed the MOT, then it would likely fail a VOSA roadside test.

just a thought .... fix the problem? (I know, daft idea eh).

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting opinions....you'd have thought something like the MOT would be black and white wouldn't you? But it seems there's a lot of interpretation and opinion ;) The place that passed it last year aren't a bunch of cowboys, they're a very well regarded garage, so it just came as a bit of surprise.

if it failed the MOT, then it would likely fail a VOSA roadside test.

just a thought .... fix the problem? (I know, daft idea eh).
Of course...its just a question of how to do it, or more importantly...who can do it for us?

Anyway, its now passed - not sure exactly what they've done as I've not had the chance to speak to the guy myself. But hubby said that he mentioned swapping the lights over...which was the solution suggestTheyed by Landy Andy in the first place. Too late to pick it up today, so will have to wait until tomorrow now.

Probably easiest to just add an extra offside foglamp to the rack. Only one wire and an earth
They better not have done that! It'll ruin the aesthetics of the rack.....these things have to look pretty as well as being functional you know! šŸ˜

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
could the number plate have been fitted the wrong way, ie upside down. ?
I assume you mean the light bar/bike rack frame itself? No, its the correct way up....the Memo writing on it is the right way, plus the indicators work correctly (if it was upside down the indicators would be reversed).

But anyway, went down this morning and spoke to the guy woman who carried out the test. She's swapped the lens and wiring for the fog light for us just as suggested so we're all good now. Plus it didn't cost a fortune.....an extra Ā£60 to sort the handbrake and light (y) I did joke to hubby though......trust a woman to notice the details :giggle: (yes I know, I'm assuming last year's tester was male....but then we all assumed this year's was too ;))

MarkDa

Free Member
Sep 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Not too bad a bill for the work done and peace of mind if the rack is a permanent feature.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back