Are you happy to "shower in someone else's dirt"? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
communal baths never appealed ... nor shared Jacuzzi or Hot Tubs ?.. but showers????

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’ve had showers in some pretty grotty places but I’ve shut my eyes to the state of my surroundings and just enjoyed the unlimited hot water.
There was one attached to an old Railway station house in France, fantastic free shower but surroundings awful! You have to remember the waters clean!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Rarely do I use campsite facilities. Even when electricity is included in the price, mostly I just can't be bothered to hook up. However this very morning running late I noticed our water levels low, so rather than fill our 65 gallon tank I chose to use the campsite shower.. it fits the bill as described by the letter writer.

The classic campsite shower. Above me the exposed beams and swallows nests. Particle board with dust an inch thick, the small cubicle with the lock hanging on one screw. Lots and lots of screw holes, evidence that robe hooks were constantly re-fitted until there was no more wood to screw them into so they gave up.. The clingy plastic curtain. Gushing in front of you, washing over the narrow gutter and lapping at your flip flops is the torrent of water from next doors shower. Those splashes hitting your ankles from the other side is the dirty water running off your neighbour and hitting the floor and bouncing up over you. Well you're hoping its dirty water and not a morning pee.

Give me my own shower anyday.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
As an ex-rugby player - I have played on and showered/bathed in some sh*t holes - so I can't see a grotty shower putting me off tbh.

In Italy we once showered in an abattoir while they carried on - we later discovered our showers was where they washed down the gear and the mayor was the owner and had kindly offered his facilities... It looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there and one of our guys was convinced someone had been slashed to death while he was in there :D

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Once at a posh dinner party we got into a debate around the table about baths and showers, what was your preference. Sue said she loved wallowing in a hot bath and one of the upper class twits there was astonished. He said, and it's a phrase we still use occasionally today and laugh at, "What! You sit in your own effluvia?"

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
As an ex-rugby player - I have played on and showered/bathed in some sh*t holes - so I can't see a grotty shower putting me off tbh.

In Italy we once showered in an abattoir while they carried on - we later discovered our showers was where they washed down the gear and the mayor was the owner and had kindly offered his facilities... It looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there and one of our guys was convinced someone had been slashed to death while he was in there :D
Funny! One of my favourite places from my footy days was The Dockers Club in Liverpool. 22 sweaty and aching bodies all jumping into the shared bath. Cup of sweet tea whilst we soaked. As they always say "Never did me any harm".

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
Funny! One of my favourite places from my footy days was The Dockers Club in Liverpool. 22 sweaty and aching bodies all jumping into the shared bath. Cup of sweet tea whilst we soaked. As they always say "Never did me any harm".
I remember at Caldy Rugby Club - they had a lady called Margaret (in her 60s) who used to bring a trolley in to the baths and make all of us a 'brew' - never once did her expression alter but she clocked everyone :)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Rarely do I use campsite facilities. Even when electricity is included in the price, mostly I just can't be bothered to hook up. However this very morning running late I noticed our water levels low, so rather than fill our 65 gallon tank I chose to use the campsite shower.. it fits the bill as described by the letter writer.

The classic campsite shower. Above me the exposed beams and swallows nests. Particle board with dust an inch thick, the small cubicle with the lock hanging on one screw. Lots and lots of screw holes, evidence that robe hooks were constantly re-fitted until there was no more wood to screw them into so they gave up.. The clingy plastic curtain. Gushing in front of you, washing over the narrow gutter and lapping at your flip flops is the torrent of water from next doors shower. Those splashes hitting your ankles from the other side is the dirty water running off your neighbour and hitting the floor and bouncing up over you. Well you're hoping its dirty water and not a morning pee.

Give me my own shower anyday.

Sounds like Oxford C&CC site ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I was slightly amused by a letter in this months MMM magazine where a reader describes using campsite showers as having a "shower in someone else's dirt".
I read the message and wondered if any of the editorial staff had actually read it before printing...

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It all depends on the campsite. There are campsites in Spain where the facilities are excellent and spotless and we use their showers every day. On the other hand, we’ve found some facilities in France where I felt I needed to shower again after using their showers. I won’t mention French toilets! ?

Mrs QFour

Last edited:

Deleted User
Been showering in site showers since I was a nipper, not so much in those days, shared bath on Friday nights at home:unsure:.

Still here at 70 after a lifetime of camping using sites, no major illnesses, never been admitted to hospital until last year for a hip replacement........what was the old saying......'eat a peck of dirt before we die':)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Site showers generally ok but if grotty I use our on board shower.
It’s the pebble dashed public and site toilets I won’t use , always use our own , don’t want to catch the pox :Eeek:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
On a War ship you often get out of the shower, leave it running for the person queuing just by the cubicle. Don’t worry too much about the “dirty water”, it stinks of diesel anyway.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Remember than in many places the water you are showering in has been through at least seven people's kidneys :rolleyes:

I have no problem using showers but I do wear flip flops or crocs to avoid standing on the shower surfaces.

Very rarely use on site showers and when I do I have some plastic flip flop style candles (not rubber flips flops - can't wear those they hurt between my toes, LOL!). Think I've only used them twice!

Denise

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
On a War ship you often get out of the shower, leave it running for the person queuing just by the cubicle. Don’t worry too much about the “dirty water”, it stinks of diesel anyway.
My old fella served on a number of warships during ww2 most notably HMS Prince of Wales. He always told the story of how they were allocated one square of toilet paper which they folded in half and then tore a circle out of, they used this to wipe their arse. When asked what they did with the other piece he told us they used that to pick their nails!!

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Never, never ever, ever, ever will I use a shower that has been used by strangers, unless it has been thoroughly cleaned by an experienced 4/5 star hotel room service executive...

JJ :cool:
Never say Never. As a former nurse I wonder how you and other similar people will cope if you are taken into hospital where you are in a position where you have to 1) Use the same shower as others. 2) Lie in a bed that has been vacated by numerous others many of whom have died in . 3) Use a toilet that many others with numerous infections have sat on. Sorry best stopping there just hope you don't all need a hospital.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back