Are you happy to "shower in someone else's dirt"? (1 Viewer)

Tea break

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I cannot understand why any one would not use campsite amenities most are more than adequate I’ve been driving artics for 30+years and taken a piss shit and shower in some pretty awful places and never found a campsite as bad. Yes we do use on board facilities but what’s wrong with also using site facilities lots of effort and cost goes into providing this service most are very good.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i have worked in sum fairly bad places around the world but sum of the site oblation blocks i would no even step in to them let alone bare my bum to their walls.
or toilets.
bill

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
If I'm on a campsite or aire and the facilities are good I'll use them, if not then I'll use the van. My opinion on moho's having showers and loos are that they're there when you need them whatever your preferences about using campsite facilities or your own. I've used plenty of shared facilities after playing football, swimming baths, gym, work so I'm happy to use campsite facilities most of the time (but definitely not some which were disgusting). At the end of the day it's what you're comfortable with ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duktaz64

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
West yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ford fendt k500
Exp
8yrs
I check the showers n if ok then i use them
Saves the water usage in the camper
I take a jug in my shower bag to rinse it down before i use if need be
My thort is people are clean wen they come out of the shower ..
If we are low on water its the best feeling avin a shower that u dont need to turn on to get wet
Turn off to apply shampoo
Turn on to rinse
Turn off to soap up
Turn on to rinse off
Still feels gud either way

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I cannot understand why any one would not use campsite amenities most are more than adequate I’ve been driving artics for 30+years and taken a piss shit and shower in some pretty awful places and never found a campsite as bad. Yes we do use on board facilities but what’s wrong with also using site facilities lots of effort and cost goes into providing this service most are very good.
I mean why would you pay £20 quid a night and still shit in a cupboard.
I'd be using as much of their electric / water/ toilets / showers as I could if it meant I didn't have to use my own plastic, cramped, low flow, piddling, limited hot water shower and bog ?
May as well go park in a layby if you are going to do that and save your twenty notes for the pub. ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I mean why would you pay £20 quid a night and still shit in a cupboard.
I'd be using as much of their electric / water/ toilets / showers as I could if it meant I didn't have to use my own plastic, cramped, low flow, piddling, limited hot water shower and bog ?
May as well go park in a layby if you are going to do that and save your twenty notes for the pub. ?
Who in there right mind pays that much.:D2

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We always use site facilities . We find it’s a good idea to use cheap flip flops on your feet because it’s the floors that are the biggest concern . After all the water coming out of the shower is clean !

Deleted User
I only use site showers when it's quiet or better still empty and preferably after they have been cleaned. There's nothing worse than listening to someone in the next stall coughing and sneezing and generosity spreading all those germs with everyone else. I also wear a cheap pair of flip flops in the shower. If the sites are busy we shower in the van.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Ive always found club site facilities fantastic, the wardens work extremely hard in keeping them clean. I always wear crocs when showering and when i swim i wear flip flops until i get into the pool.
For those who are worrying about germs , if you use public transport dont even think about the germs (including urine and faeces) on the seat your sitting on. We sit down and think all is ok if theres no crumbs etc on it. Think again.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Some folk seem a bit "precious". I grew up in a house with 7 people and 1 bath. Got a bath once a week, in the water my sister had come out of.
Went camping in the summer, not on a site, used a bucket or public toilets. Went to nearby Fisherman's Mission to bathe.
Most site toilet/shower blocks are quite luxurious by those standards. :)

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Some folk seem a bit "precious". I grew up in a house with 7 people and 1 bath. Got a bath once a week, in the water my sister had come out of.
Went camping in the summer, not on a site, used a bucket or public toilets. Went to nearby Fisherman's Mission to bathe.
Most site toilet/shower blocks are quite luxurious by those standards. :)
Agree. There may be two different types of motorhomer those who came to it late and want the luxurys of home and all its cleanliness, and thosse who came up through the ranks having camped with tents with buckets and holes for toilets and therefore able to cope with the odd speck of muck.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Like many of the older generation my bath used to hang on a nail in the back yard ,until it was required every Saturday ,in the kitchen in front of the coal fire ,we didn’t have the luxury of a bathroom until I was about 19 so I guess I’m in the minority nowadays .Believe me I have been in some crap showers as I was in the TA for years but so long as their is hot water and a clothes hook I’m ok with that but I do wear flip flops or crocs .

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Other half insists on using onboard loo and shower. I tend to use site ones if they are available. Maybe old habit from previous van not having any The few sites we've used so far have had great facilities. Also means I don't have to empty grey tank, fill water and empty cassette as often.

Not been abroad yet, but if as ropey as some say then will both be using onboard.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Ha Ha! I even read the CCC magazine letters...even funnier. When my kids were teenagers they used to read them and would fall about laughing asking if all old people were that boring.
We always used to say that the majority of letters seemed to start with....

Dear Sir, I am outraged...

Some of the letters do crack me up

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Like many of the older generation my bath used to hang on a nail in the back yard ,until it was required every Saturday ,in the kitchen in front of the coal fire ,we didn’t have the luxury of a bathroom until I was about 19 so I guess I’m in the minority nowadays .Believe me I have been in some crap showers as I was in the TA for years but so long as their is hot water and a clothes hook I’m ok with that but I do wear flip flops or crocs .

Yes, 1960s we had one bath per week -- even 1970s actually. If you were lucky you got fresh water rather than your sibling's :)

Early 1960s we were fortunate: we already had a bathroom extension on the back of the terrace house! The neighbours were still doing the tin bath routine.

Grandparents even had outside bogs into the late 1970s (with a paraffin lamp in the winter to stop the bowl freezing).

I am now suddenly reminded of Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen':

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Once at a posh dinner party we got into a debate around the table about baths and showers, what was your preference. Sue said she loved wallowing in a hot bath and one of the upper class twits there was astonished. He said, and it's a phrase we still use occasionally today and laugh at, "What! You sit in your own effluvia?"
So true,,bathing in your own dirt.Give me a shower any day.BUSBY?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Yes, 1960s we had one bath per week -- even 1970s actually. If you were lucky you got fresh water rather than your sibling's :)

Early 1960s we were fortunate: we already had a bathroom extension on the back of the terrace house! The neighbours were still doing the tin bath routine.

Grandparents even had outside bogs into the late 1970s (with a paraffin lamp in the winter to stop the bowl freezing).

I am now suddenly reminded of Monty Python's 'Four Yorkshiremen':

It wasn't to stop the bowl from freezing but the cistern.

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
On a site in Spain recently and I put some washing in the site washing machine. Some of my clothes came out with grease stains on them. So another question ARE PEOPLE HAPPY TO WASH THEIR CLOTHES IN OTHER PEOPLES DIRT?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
:)
Cuh! You were lucky; when I was a kid growin' oop in t'Uddersfield........

(First thing I always do before settling in is to give the shower flow a test in case the water's chilly or just a dribble or aimed at the wall. Nothing worse that being stripped off and poised with Radox in hand to find there's barely a dribble).

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We always used to say that the majority of letters seemed to start with....

Dear Sir, I am outraged...

Some of the letters do crack me up
Too many old Forum contributors are equally boring ;)........ operations, bad backs, numerous aches and pains, hangovers...........:rolleyes:

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
On a site in Spain recently and I put some washing in the site washing machine. Some of my clothes came out with grease stains on them. So another question ARE PEOPLE HAPPY TO WASH THEIR CLOTHES IN OTHER PEOPLES DIRT?

No. Which is why I won’t use laundrettes. Before getting a washing machine I had more than one load of washing ruined, either with grease, oil or everything coming out covered in pet hair.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
On an aire whilst emptying my cassette (you know, the plastic box with 1 purpose in its life, to collect wee and crap) the man emptied his and the water was almost clear.
He asked me if I knew if there were any toilets close by as they don't use their toilet for number twos. Except in an emergency he added.
I wanted to ask what do they do, hold it back until a toilet is found?
Why spend tens of thousands on a motorhome with all the facilities when you can buy an old transit and chuck a mattress and a bucket in the back?

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
On an aire whilst emptying my cassette (you know, the plastic box with 1 purpose in its life, to collect wee and crap) the man emptied his and the water was almost clear.
He asked me if I knew if there were any toilets close by as they don't use their toilet for number twos. Except in an emergency he added.
I wanted to ask what do they do, hold it back until a toilet is found?
Why spend tens of thousands on a motorhome with all the facilities when you can buy an old transit and chuck a mattress and a bucket in the back?

Well I agree with the other guy - I use the onboard facilities if I need to at night but will simply use my legs and walk to the facilities the rest of the time.

Yes I’ve paid a lot of money for my MoHo with great facilities, lovely carpeting, awesome furnishings, nice bedding and curtains..... that’s why I won’t $hit in the van leaving the smells to impregnate my soft furnishings - I’d rather leave those smells in the campsite loos thank you very much!

Besides, it saves me having to troop to the chemical disposal point on a too regular basis to enjoy watching the contents of my bowels disappear down a grating.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow, 4 pages of replies so far, the thread title seems misleading.

if you go to work everyday like me,go off for the day to a town, city, museum, weekend without the van etc, are you happy to shit, shower, wash in someone else's dirt?

Emphatic yes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back