Are you happy to "shower in someone else's dirt"? (1 Viewer)

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I don't understand why you'd buy a MH with onboard facilities and then use the communal ones on a site.
We hear this every time the subject comes up, the simple answer is that we don’t like the idea, or the reality of “crapping in a cupboard”. And our “cupboard” is quite generously sized compared to many we’ve seen.
We regard our onboard facilities as a backup, for use in an emergency. Very rarely fully used, but no less necessary for that.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We hear this every time the subject comes up, the simple answer is that we don’t like the idea, or the reality of “crapping in a cupboard”. And our “cupboard” is quite generously sized compared to many we’ve seen.
We regard our onboard facilities as a backup, for use in an emergency. Very rarely fully used, but no less necessary for that.
I’m with you 100% on this.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I used to live in Bath but I haven't HAD a bath for decades... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
Bath is ACE, had a week there studying when at Uni bla bla years ago. Loved it(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't understand why you'd buy a MH with onboard facilities and then use the communal ones on a site.
Two different schools of thought. No right or wrong just different...... with plenty of water and a nice bathroom in the van, I use the on board facilities and rarely the site ones (if any). I know it is clean.......

What really puzzles me is recently someone pulled up next door in a very large top of the range cathargo which was nearly new. cue endless trips to and from the site toilet block, either with or without shower stuff, endless trips to the water tap to fill a collapsible container and/or kettle and three trips a day to the washing up facilities. Why spend six figures on something like that, designed for on board living and not even use the water tank?? Still, it takes all sorts and their van, their choice

On the plus side, there is no grey waste to dribble on the road

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It all depends on the campsite. There are campsites in Spain where the facilities are excellent and spotless and we use their showers every day. On the other hand, we’ve found some facilities in France where I felt I needed to shower again after using their showers. I won’t mention French toilets! ?

Mrs QFour

Where are these mythical disgusting French toilets?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Someone owning up to reading MMM even worse the letters page.:eek:

MMM needs a Readers' Wives section to spice things up. :whistle2:

One MH magazine that has bitten the dust got complaints because one of their live-in reports included a pic of a very fetching lady testing the shower. Tastefully done too.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I use the van shower most of the time as I find these new modern site cubicles too small, your clothes always seem to get wet and there's nowhere dry to stand so you invariably have soggy boxers and you can use a couple of bathmats in your van... oh how I miss those heady Club 18-30 days of air drying on a balcony...

I will use the site shower (careful!) a couple of times a week to take advantage of unlimited hot water rather than just use the 10 litres in the boiler all of the time.

Toilets? we never use the van loo for No2's, for me it's more a case of worrying that it won't take my 19 stone weight on a regular basis, my missus simply never has and I've not bothered really to wonder why.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i rate every site by the showers how many times you have to push the button how good the spray is is there a seat do your clothes get wet
probably the worst was near silverstone 10 seconds of shower per push shower head was a thimble with 3 holes in and didn't make it far enough from the wall to get all your body under.Now i know the aim is to save hot water expenditure but the basins were push buttons that were so powerful the water jumped out and ran for 5 mins despite trying to stop it

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Bath is ACE, had a week there studying when at Uni bla bla years ago. Loved it(y)
This takes me back. We three lads were singing in Bath city centre many years ago when a local "folkie" asked us to sing at the folk club. OK, says we. What's your groups name says he. Err. Err. and just then Peter looks up and we were next to a coffee shop called Brillig. Brillig, says Peter, and, as they say, the rest is history.
Phil

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We really cannot understand why you buy a motorhome and then not use the facilities you have bought. Might just as well buy a converted van with a bucket under the sink. Why traipse over in the cold/wind/rain to stand in the water of the previous user in a cold box? And often have to queue for the privilege. And when you get to the shower it is just a luke warm dribble that you have to run round in to get wet.

Nowadays everybody expects en suite facilities in a hotel, so why not use them in your own motorhome?

We both have a hot shower every morning in our nice warm motorhome and that sets us up for the day. Then, on the few times we are actually staying on a campsite, we can settle down to watch the "styles" of dressing gowns going backwards and forwards to the facilities :D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Quite a few of the posters on here demonstrate habits that would make wildcamping/Aires/Stellplatz motorhoming almost impossible.

We use onboard facilities exclusively. Basia would only ever use a public loo 'in extremis' and then only 'hovering'

Those would not be restrictions we would like.

Geoff

Deleted User
The shower in our PVC is so small and inconvenient as to be useless, we never use it, have blocked off the shower tray and removed the plastic curtains, it was not a consideration for the way we use our PVC.

We use the toilet as necessary, getting old you know:) but use site site facilities when available.

Definitely a case of horses for courses and we use our PVC as a Camper not as a Mobile Home or Hotel room because that is what we have done since before caravans, motorhomes etc had showers and toilets, porta potty if you were lucky:)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We sometimes use our own shower and/or toilet, and we sometimes use campsite facilities, when we’re on a campsite and they’re up to scratch. That’s the great thing about motorhomes, they give you freedom of choice. You don’t have to do the same thing every day.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We sometimes use our own shower and/or toilet, and we sometimes use campsite facilities, when we’re on a campsite and they’re up to scratch. That’s the great thing about motorhomes, they give you freedom of choice. You don’t have to do the same thing every day.

Agreed - I like the freedom never to go on campsites, except maybe to give a private one a few quid to use the service point for half an hour.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My first thought on reading the letter was some folk will do anything to get their name in print, my second is unrepeatable.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Crapping in a cupboard hahahaha I shall have to remember that one. :D
Yea same here. The less I have to empty that cassette and fill / empty the fresh and grey on holiday, the better!
The only time the growler in a cupboard is used is getting up in the night / early morning in your boxers. I keep telling the old dear the same too, get and use them legs and get over to the toilet block or you can empty the next one! :D

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My old fella served on a number of warships during ww2 most notably HMS Prince of Wales. He always told the story of how they were allocated one square of toilet paper which they folded in half and then tore a circle out of, they used this to wipe their arse. When asked what they did with the other piece he told us they used that to pick their nails!!

I hope he wasn't still on it when it got sunk?

We have a shower easily big enough for two...................................Winnebago in their wisdom moulded in a removable hanging rail, so its now rammed with her clothes.:rolleyes:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
France....

Damn it. We've just had a 3 weeks holiday touring around France as we have done a dozen times and we have only seen one loo that wasn't great. We're clearly looking in the wrong places.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Remember than in many places the water you are showering in has been through at least seven people's kidneys :rolleyes:

I have no problem using showers but I do wear flip flops or crocs to avoid standing on the shower surfaces.
So seven people are peeing on you when you shower......what a thought :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back