Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Jaws,
How old is your motorhome and what mileage has it done. Are you towing with a 2.3 or 3ltr. It seems odd that a 6 speed box should shed 5th gear unless you have dumped some oil or it overheated.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I know a man who lives in Benidorm but comes over here regulary with a high cube transit and large trailer, might be of good use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Bloody hell,that's too much bad luck in one trip,still they say trouble comes in three's let's just hope you have had your share for a long time to come,chin up!!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws,
How old is your motorhome and what mileage has it done. Are you towing with a 2.3 or 3ltr. It seems odd that a 6 speed box should shed 5th gear unless you have dumped some oil or it overheated.

Its a 2.3 with 30k miles on it.. Not a happy bunny to say the least !!
My man who is doing it for me ( I REALLY hate working on cars and the like nowadays... I stick to bikes as they are just SOOOO much easier !! ) dived under it this afternoon and stuck a widget in the filler.. Widget came out covered in oil ( and some interesting shiny stuff :-( )

I know a man who lives in Benidorm but comes over here regulary with a high cube transit and large trailer, might be of good use

Appreciate the thought bu have now managed to borrow a car from number two daughter so Woman and I will make the slog back up next week

Bloody hell,that's too much bad luck in one trip,still they say trouble comes in three's let's just hope you have had your share for a long time to come,chin up!!

Mate.. that aint the half of it..

Fridge failed to work on gas on the way down ( it lit ok, but simply did not get cold .. Gotta speak to Thetford asap ) and we lost all the freezer grub Woman had packed

Second day in Zahora site workers come along to hack off some branches that hag the dread caterpillars on them..
One branch came down and punched a hole in the awning..

Lit the heater one morning ( about 5C outside and blowing a hooly ) About a minute later massive BANG ! .. The heater had 'back fired ' so violently it actually blew the vent cap on the roof about 20 feet in to the air ( according to an eye witness ) Fortunate;y that was easily refitted and no other damage was done .. Took the fire apart and all was in perfect condition ( thank gawd !!!!!!!! )

The boiler dump valve started leaking ( see other thread ),

We got snapped doing 48 in a 40 ( poring rain 40 limit in the middle of nowhere,, middle of the night.. you get the picture ... They certainly did !

Front left hand coil spring on the Smartie snapped going over the sodding terrible 'roads' on the camp site.. Made such a bang I thought I had been shot at !

Things were happening almost daily.. far too many to remember !

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Really feel for you both John, hope you get it all sorted soon so you can be out in your motorhome again

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is not getting better at the moment..
The only gearbox available seems to be if I remove mine and take it to Liverpool where they will rebuild it
More news as and when !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have no idea what I am talking about but was the engine in standard form or had it ever been tuned or chipped.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Absolutely standard Buttons
In fact I wish I had left the tuning box in place ( removed it before leaving the UK as I am still testing it ) .. I would have got a lot better MPG ( well .. an average so far of 1.5 mpg extra but I am testing it in a very 'soft' mode at the moment.. )

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Absolutely standard Buttons
In fact I wish I had left the tuning box in place ( removed it before leaving the UK as I am still testing it ) .. I would have got a lot better MPG ( well .. an average so far of 1.5 mpg extra but I am testing it in a very 'soft' mode at the moment.. )
Thanks Jaws, just wondered as using more power with max loading could put additional stress an gear bearings etc. I'm no expert just looking for a reason for a gearbox to destroy itself after just 30k miles.(y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They actually use the identical box on the 3 litre version that has considerably more oomph to it than our titchy 2.3 Buttons, so even if the thing was chipped to the max it still would have been less than other applications it is used on ...
As we have had the van less than a year I might well see if the dealer will at least pay something towards the cost ( though I really doubt it )

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
They actually use the identical box on the 3 litre version that has considerably more oomph to it than our titchy 2.3 Buttons, so even if the thing was chipped to the max it still would have been less than other applications it is used on ...
As we have had the van less than a year I might well see if the dealer will at least pay something towards the cost ( though I really doubt it )
Sounds logical.... I am sure you have already googled for any similar problems with the 6 speed box. One off's are less likely than they used to be so the chances are that you wont be alone.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres a few reconditioned boxes on ebay
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
New gearbox should be here late Friday and its booked in to be replaced on Monday..
If that comes off it will mean the motorhome will be back on the road before the bloody trailer !!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
theres a few reconditioned boxes on ebay
Broken Link Removed

Yesssss... They also offered to collect the van, replace the gearbox and get it back to me within 3 days !
So I made a few enquiries in the trade.. Have gone with another option ;)

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
My old dad, god rest his soul, once said to me "Life is an experience, you just need to see how many you can get through"

I think Owls were named after my dad!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My old man always said life is a terminal disease !

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Usually the 6 speed gearbox is very robust but I wonder if it was one that had been modified around the time of Juddergate by a Fiat main agent. If it had been worked on by a not so skilled fitter then it could have been on borrowed time. Is there any way you can get some previous history from a Fiat agent off the computer?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My man who is doing it for me ( I REALLY hate working on cars and the like nowadays... I stick to bikes as they are just SOOOO much easier !! ) dived under it this afternoon and stuck a widget in the filler.. Widget came out covered in oil ( and some interesting shiny stuff :-( )

Appreciate the thought bu have now managed to borrow a car from number two daughter so Woman and I will make the slog back up next week

Fridge failed to work on gas on the way down ( it lit ok, but simply did not get cold .. Gotta speak to Thetford asap ) and we lost all the freezer grub Woman had packed

Second day in Zahora site workers come along to hack off some branches that hag the dread caterpillars on them..

Lit the heater one morning ( about 5C outside and blowing a hooly ) About a minute later massive BANG ! .. The heater had 'back fired ' so violently it actually blew the vent cap on the roof about 20 feet in to the air ( according to an eye witness ) Fortunate;y that was easily refitted and no other damage was done .. Took the fire apart and all was in perfect condition ( thank gawd !!!!!!!! )

We got snapped doing 48 in a 40 ( poring rain 40 limit in the middle of nowhere,, middle of the night.. you get the picture ... They certainly did !

Front left hand coil spring on the Smartie snapped going over the sodding terrible 'roads' on the camp site.. Made such a bang I thought I had been shot at !

Criky John, how many mirrors did you break? Hope it's not infectious don't want it spreading to other members.
Good luck with getting everything sorted.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

But apart from that mate, you had a great time :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Usually the 6 speed gearbox is very robust but I wonder if it was one that had been modified around the time of Juddergate by a Fiat main agent. If it had been worked on by a not so skilled fitter then it could have been on borrowed time. Is there any way you can get some previous history from a Fiat agent off the computer?
All original Fiat seals and paint blobs untouched. Gonna wait until it is on the floor and do an inspection myself .. Sad thing is, a few years ago I would have reconn'd the box my self.. The Fiat box's are lovely to work on.. A complete set of bearings, slipper rings etc costs about £650 and can be rebuilt in a day with ease..

nowadays.. nahhhhh.. Cannot be doing with crawling around in the dirt any more.
Bikes.. easy.. Up on the ramp and job done !

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
All original Fiat seals and paint blobs untouched. Gonna wait until it is on the floor and do an inspection myself .. Sad thing is, a few years ago I would have reconn'd the box my self.. The Fiat box's are lovely to work on.. A complete set of bearings, slipper rings etc costs about £650 and can be rebuilt in a day with ease..

nowadays.. nahhhhh.. Cannot be doing with crawling around in the dirt any more.
Bikes.. easy.. Up on the ramp and job done !

What number is that on your Lazy Thread:D

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp

I have never heard of so much bad luck. Did you buy the motorhome from a man with a curley wig, big trousers and living in a big top because he bought a car once where things kept falling off.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know mate.. But I am starting to feel sorry for the poor van ! It seems everything I touch or have anything to do with just lately is destroyed or damaged in some way. The van is just one more example :-(

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I know mate.. But I am starting to feel sorry for the poor van ! It seems everything I touch or have anything to do with just lately is destroyed or damaged in some way. The van is just one more example :-(
Your not on your mate!! I bet I'm the only one that's broke me new Dash Cam!!
Check out my Signature :(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a few years ago I would have reconn'd the box my self

What about the cracked casing ?

If that is doable you could recon it at your leisure and sell it as such.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back