LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I suggested to my wife last night, on a bit of a whim, that we take the motorhome to Eyebrook Reservoir this evening (only about 10 miles from home) and wild camp there overnight. She loves this spot because she is an amateur ornithologist and it is good for birds. I wanted to take my camera and get some nice shots of the water around sunrise tomorrow. My wife doesn't really do things on a whim though so I agreed not to go :( She did however agree to my suggestion, made about half an hour ago, that we overnight in the MH at home :) She is out walking the dog at the moment but, when she returns, I will be knocking up ravioli and garlic flatbread, followed by strawberries and ice-cream, all to be consumed in the van. Then it's a nice long read for me, followed by a comfy night (I always sleep better in the van :)) We will even shower and breakfast here in the morning.

We are fortunate because, as my wife is a horse-lover, we have four acres of paddock
surrounding our dwelling. So although the habitation door is only about 10 feet from the front door of our house we have what I like to think of as our own private CL. We even have EHU available, connected by threading the cable through the letter box and plugging it in to the hall socket :smiley:

To give you an idea, here are a few shots taken on my phone camera about 20 minutes ago. The little Shetland is Penny. Carolina and Tina, the other two horses, are round the corner and out of shot.

IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG

Apologies for the weeds by the way. Tomorrow's job is to jump on the John Deere and mow the paddock.

So the question Funsters is this. Are we daft to stay in our motorhome at home? Have you ever done it, simply for the fun of it as opposed to out of necessity?

I can hear wifey coming back, so better crack on with dinner now!

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 23

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You should have kept it quiet. There'll be half a dozen freeloading Funsters with you in an hour or two!:eek::eek::eek:
Enjoy your trip "away".;)
And, ps, great idea.(y)(y)(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Often use the van as an extra bedroom when the house is full of visitors ! But our view is nothing like yours!!
A fantastic idea enjoy!!!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I used to live in a semi with a small drive, over the wall was the local shop so not the quietest or most scenic places, but did sleep in my romahome there if I couldn't get to sleep in the house. would certinly be using the van at home if we had your outlook and space.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We have an electric hook up at ours and run everything up before a trip. Kids have slept in it a home when we have had guests.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Please supply the co-ordinates. I have my own bolt croppers and a doubler for the electrics. Don't mind sharing a bottle of wine with you if you share your ravioli(y):love:

joe

We have just polished off the ravioli and I'm teetotal! I'm sure we would love to share your company though :inlove:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Go for it and enjoy. Why not!?

My tag line...why not?

@Stretto Boy - Do what you like, when you like. That is why you have a motorhome.

We spent our first night in the van on our drive, when we had a drive!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have just polished off the ravioli and I'm teetotal! I'm sure we would love to share your company though :inlove:
... I think he was just wanting to share the field and have a natter ... nothing more! :p

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Stretto Boy. No, I don't think you are daft to stay in the MH, at your own gaff..........................but I do think you were daft not to get yourselves up to the reservoir. You and yours could have covered four hits with the one shot, ie, stunning photography, ornithology, a wild camping experience..........................and maybe even skinny dipping, if safe and warm enough. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
You're not daft at all, we sometimes drive up onto Dartmoor which is just a few miles from where we live just to have a night away. The fact that our favourite off road lay by is 10 minutes walk from a pub is a lucky happenstance..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Tincas

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I keep saying to Denise we should stay in the van on the drive as we are going stir crazy not being able to get away in it.

Joe
Go on you know you want to it's your van just do it
Close the curtains and pretend your away in it
Bill

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Wife found it difficult to cope with one of our boys five years ago and decided to live in the van on the drive. 5 years later we are still there - never drained a water tank yet. :) Our boys tell the world we live in a motorhome as it gives them more street cred.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why drive all over the place spending money,, I have got a beautiful little wood but unfortunately cannot get the van in the entrance as there are a couple of leaning trees on the entrance car goes in not the van or a truck. We would be able to stay there for short periods and it is only 2 miles to go from home.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
OK, fess up, how did the dir.., eh, weekend go?;):whistle:;)

Very well thanks. Relaxing in the motorhome, looking at the nice view out of the windows, surrounded by ponies. All for free and no fuel costs. The only problem was was when an army of Funsters arrived with bolt croppers and acetylene torches to break through my security cordon. I soon saw them off in the time-honoured fashion though :boxing: Bet they were glad they didn't stay until dawn :

IMG_0698.PNG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back