Are Dogs Allowed in Public Transport in Spain? (1 Viewer)

Harben

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Hi there...
Just trying to get some clarity on taking a dog on a short trip either, on a train or bus, as we would like to visit Barcelona for the day from a campsite pitch close to the city. To qualify, it seems you need to fit them in a carrier bag! We have a “medium” size cocker poo (around 14kg). I think our poor dog has experienced enough with this MH malarkey, so being folded up into a carrier bag may well tip her over the edge!
Appreciate any advice.
Tim

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Handbag dogs seem to be tolerated on buses, anything larger or not being carried is generally not unfortunately.

I believe larger dogs are able to travel on some of the RENFE trains though. Always worth asking on line at the carrier website!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Trains seem to be ok with most sized dogs but for buses I have only seen them in bags or similar.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
After we went to northern spain last year I wouldn't go again while we have a dog they just can't understand why anyone wants a largeish dog as a pet.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Varies region to region but in all honesty no would be the general answer.
& big dogs as pets are quite normal being walked here. They also love huskies for some reason.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We stayed on this site a few times, there were limited numbers of dogs on the Barcelona Shuttle bus.
If you do go there try and book your place on the shuttle as soon as you arrive or maybe before by email
Cheers
Ed

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I saw someone on a bus in Bilbao with what looked like a medium size cockerpoo and they had him in a baby type pouch in front of them on the chest. Dog was happy and everyone was aaaahhhh.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
No they prefer to just tie them in their garden so they can bark nonstop 🙉🙉🙉🙉

I thought that was the Portuguese. Oh no, hang on, they don't bother tying them up, they just run around the streets.

OP
OP
H

Harben

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
2 years
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
Don’t know if it’s a recent thing in Spain or this particular region (Catalonia), but there’s a few signs now outside cafes/restaurants saying only dogs in baskets/cages are allowed, which is interesting. A real shame if sitting outside at a Cafe pavement table with your dog under it becomes an issue.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
Don’t know if it’s a recent thing in Spain or this particular region (Catalonia), but there’s a few signs now outside cafes/restaurants saying only dogs in baskets/cages are allowed, which is interesting. A real shame if sitting outside at a Cafe pavement table with your dog under it becomes an issue.
I wonder if it's a covid thing? I know our dog encourages a lot of attention and people coming to stroke her.

Mr mrs tupcox

Free Member
May 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
10 years
No ...we have a smallish dog but never been aloud on a bus.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Hi there...
Just trying to get some clarity on taking a dog on a short trip either, on a train or bus, as we would like to visit Barcelona for the day from a campsite pitch close to the city. To qualify, it seems you need to fit them in a carrier bag! We have a “medium” size cocker poo (around 14kg). I think our poor dog has experienced enough with this MH malarkey, so being folded up into a carrier bag may well tip her over the edge!
Appreciate any advice.
Tim
We visited Barcelona on the metro with our medium sized dog, too big to be carried in a bag , it was no problem at all, this was a couple of years ago though.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Further to my last I've just googled it, yes you can take dog on the metro, must be muzzled and microchipped, and you must carry its pet passport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back