Are CAMC finally getting the message (1 Viewer)

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
We were at a club site last week and they had a dutch guy in a caravan plugged into one EHU point and his lecky car plugged into the next ....now thats really 'using' it 🙃

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We were at a club site last week and they had a dutch guy in a caravan plugged into one EHU point and his lecky car plugged into the next ....now thats really 'using' it 🙃
Maybe he had paid for it?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Maybe he had paid for it?
Don't know where this site was and you all know my reservations about leccy cars but IMO that one gutsy guy to tow a c'van from Dutchland all way over here using leccy... unless of coarse it was a PHEV

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Agreed both sites we have stayed on this week are 90% full and it’s not yet the busy season.

It amazes me how people moan about CAMC sites but the wardens do a great job keeping the sites clean tidy and well maintained.

I doubt if any one who planned the sites planned for 100% full except the busy summer months.

As a member I am very happy with the sites well laid out good space between units staff in the main seem ok and polite. Like any business staff tend to react to customers on how a customer behaves to them.
I agree with you on everything except Price, when it comes to pricing, they are a rip off, yes the toilets are clean, so too the showers, also good pitches, and the staff are great in most of them, when all they are is a bit of grass plus tarmac with water/EHU, showers and toilets, The camp site I am staying in at the moment, is all the above plus more, for only €16 a night, and that includes EHU, Club prices almost match those sites that offer hugh swimming pools with multi slides, entertainment and mini supermarkets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Club prices almost match those sites that offer hugh swimming pools with multi slides, entertainment and mini supermarkets.
And therein lies part of the problem. Commercial sites have other activities going on like entertainment which will also have a bar where profits will be made, mini supermarkets which will no doubt charge over the odds for the goods, again bringing in extra income. The C&MC site has to cover its cost from pitch fees and membership fees alone. Probably the staff on commercial sites don't live on site either so accommodation for them isn't needed which in turn means lower overheads.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
And therein lies part of the problem. Commercial sites have other activities going on like entertainment which will also have a bar where profits will be made, mini supermarkets which will no doubt charge over the odds for the goods, again bringing in extra income. The C&MC site has to cover its cost from pitch fees and membership fees alone. Probably the staff on commercial sites don't live on site either so accommodation for them isn't needed which in turn means lower overheads.
Don’t the CAMC staff stop in their own caravan or Motorhome?

Whilst I don’t disagree, I still think charging £50 a night is taking the proverbial.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Do not understand you accommodation quote....
Apart from a very very few sites the wardens use their own c'vans or mohos when working on club sites..
Yes sure they may (but maybe not ) get free leccy...
All the club does is supply an area for wardens to park up..!
Aahh yet again fingers not quick enuf..
^what he said^

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Quite a few of the sites we've been on lately have had a combination of fixed buildings (usually for the main wardens) and a parking area for the assistants.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Overheads on Commercial sites are way over CAMC, most would be almost eight to tens, yet CAMC are over the top, and quite a few do live on site, using their own Campers or Caravans, no excuse for it, they need to make money to build more glamping cabins etc,

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Overheads on Commercial sites are way over CAMC, most would be almost eight to tens, yet CAMC are over the top, and quite a few do live on site, using their own Campers or Caravans, no excuse for it, they need to make money to build more glamping cabins etc,
Maybe it's time to rename
"The Club"as
CAYAGPAWbut not the motorhomeC
"The Caravan and Yurt and Glamping Pod and Wigwam but not motorhome Club."🤣

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Just planning re-entry following 10 weeks touring in Europe and pleasantly surprised by charges on a couple of 1 night stops from Dover to Cornwall. CCC Canterbury £17.20 non+EHU with ACR and CAMC Exeter £22.70 with EHU. Maybe they are becoming more realistic about what the market will take?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Just planning re-entry following 10 weeks touring in Europe and pleasantly surprised by charges on a couple of 1 night stops from Dover to Cornwall. CCC Canterbury £17.20 non+EHU with ACR and CAMC Exeter £22.70 with EHU. Maybe they are becoming more realistic about what the market will take?
Hope so... May start using them again...
If and when they are prepared to give me a decent pitch and not charge me for leccy I don't want or need..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't know anyone that is "negative towards those that use EHU"? if EHU is available on site then most will of course use it, like the site I am on now, it is as good if not better then a club site, EHU comes with the price,
Don't think anyone is negative about people who use EHU.

The problem is for those of us that don't want it is sites that include it in the price.
I very seldom stay on sites and I certainly wouldn't stay on one when there is no option for a lower price without EHU.

A lot are of the problems are the manufacturers, Motorhomes should be self sufficent. When you buy a new van shouldn't have to spend several thousand upgrading it.

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Exeter has always been cheap for some reason plus you can choose not to have ehu.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Don't know anyone that is "negative towards those that use EHU"? if EHU is available on site then most will of course use it, like the site I am on now, it is as good if not better then a club site, EHU comes with the price, Delightful campsite. Very clean with water/electric on every pitch, the staff are great, very clean Showers & Toilets, The pitches are level and bordered in most parts 10 minute walk into town, also 10 minute walk to the Castles/Church up above, with great views of the castles, this site equals if not better then a club site (CAMC/CACC), Prices are very good for this site, I paid €32.00 for two nights, that inclusive of EHU, now that's competitive.
View attachment 769975s inclusive of EHU.

I wouldn't call £44.00 a night without EHU very competitive.
Where is this £15 a night site?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
As far as I am aware, and I admit I don't follow club policy any more.. sorry. But apart from a few sites ( I could go and find the list, but can't be arsed ) you are allowed to charged leccy vehicles on club sites BUT this has to be through your vans electric... IE plugged into your vans 240v socket with your van plugged into EHU.
May Have Changed.. don't think so.👍👍

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Personally i don't care if people charge vehicles, bikes or whatever so long as theres no knock-on or backlash over pricing .

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Like thousands of Motorhome owners I am very happy with my basic setup and have no wish or desire to spend thousands upgrading to be battery self sufficient so that I can wild camp. We all make our choices and given that our maximum stay in Europe is now shortened I will continue visiting some fantastic UK locations usually staying 3-5 days, but if we really enjoy the location sometimes 7-10 days. Electric bikes, bus pass, and good old walking shoes plus the odd Uber get us around. Driving in some areas of the UK is not a pleasant experience and I find a two hour jump between sites works well. I am a believer in deposits, many private sites always take one.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It’s pretty simple to me, you arrive at a Site in your EV and it appears expect to connect to EHU or it appears a good number do at no extra cost, therefore,the CMC are then paying for yor onward journey or inward journey since your Batteries are in need of charge.
Imagine the response non EV vehicle owners and asked the CMC/Warden for £5/25/50 or whatever as a contribution to your fuel cost

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Today for the first time ever I had an email of the CAMC reminding me that my membership was due on 30th June and in the bottom of the mail was the link if I wanted to finish my membership. I did wonder if it had anything to do with the online questionnaire I filled in and slated them or have they just had that many resignations they just expect it. After 27 years membership it was not something I did lightly but I have cancelled my membership as I feel it is no longer a club but a very greedy business run for the benefit of a few

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Like thousands of Motorhome owners I am very happy with my basic setup and have no wish or desire to spend thousands upgrading to be battery self sufficient so that I can wild camp. We all make our choices and given that our maximum stay in Europe is now shortened I will continue visiting some fantastic UK locations usually staying 3-5 days, but if we really enjoy the location sometimes 7-10 days. Electric bikes, bus pass, and good old walking shoes plus the odd Uber get us around. Driving in some areas of the UK is not a pleasant experience and I find a two hour jump between sites works well. I am a believer in deposits, many private sites always take one.
upgrading is not necessarily for wild camping. Our up grade was so we could go off grid more easily i.e. no EHU. We still stay on sites.

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
We joined the CAMC this year purely for our stay at folkestone before and after our trip to europe ..but won't be renewing again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back