Are CAMC finally getting the message (3 Viewers)

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
£25 a night!
Is that just so you can sit an a bit of ground, use their toilets & showers?
Remember-you have your own toilet & shower!
If that is what you want to do then that is all it is, and that is all you'll get, not really there to cater for you, however, for me its a flat level pitch with 16 amp hook up, nearby fresh water, grey dump and a very clean black waste disposal point, usually situated somewhere nice and quiet with some security. Nice to use the shower occasionally (in my case more space and do not have to worry about hot water running out or moving the van out to refill), personally do not use the on site toilets, however, they are usually very clean compared to public toilets in town. Plenty of space between vans and pleasant to sit out on an evening. I don't mind paying, I see it as part of the mix, I use aires, paid and free, when abroad and often overnight in remote parking spots usually attached to some archaeological monument, however, certainly would not dismiss either CCC or CAMC sites

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Haven know how to market properly, just ask chaser

View attachment 769395

I get about four of these emails a year with prices as low as £10.00 per night, great value and you don't need to be a member to take advantage of the offer.
We are currently enjoying 4 nights on a Parkdean site for £11.50 a night, right on the beach, heated service block and EHU. Although it's quite commercial the touring area is situated in quiet area and has direct access to a beautiful beach and is lovely and peaceful. Sensible pricing is possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We are currently enjoying 4 nights on a Parkdean site for £11.50 a night, right on the beach, heated service block and EHU. Although it's quite commercial the touring area is situated in quiet area and has direct access to a beautiful beach and is lovely and peaceful. Sensible pricing is possible.
Yes, I should be at their site near Skegness this week, (never stopped at Skegness before, just bypassed it, so at £49 for 4nts, what could I lose?)

All of it as it happens, I'm still at home with another chest infection, (breathing asbestos in boats/ships engine room apparently) on antibiotics & steroids and off for chest X-ray this afternoon. 🤞

Haho! There's always another time! 😄

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Sensible pricing is possible.
Agreed, the CL network is a bit of a relevation on that. £15-20 a ni inc EHU in Winter makes winter touring far more palatable once you have found the sites open with decent hardstanding. I don't mind paying this as we've worked out offgrid the gas is £5-10 a day without EHU.

We are now renewing CAMC but entirely due to a few CL's we have found which are perfect for winter walks and relaxation.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I think the CAMC behaves as though it has a monopoly. Delusional. Snobbish too. I was staggered when I saw in their recent Magazine that one of their annual towcar awards went to a Bentley Benteyga. How many Members own one of those? Yet to see one on a CAMC site.

The CAMC does need its call centre staff. Every time I want to book, their woeful online system freezes at the final payment stage when I try to pay the deposit using their link to Worldpay. I might as well not bother with my computer, and simply ring CAMC to book and pay over the phone because it will save a lot of time. Too much hassle. I will also use more independent sites. CAMC's loss.

Once again, I will spend
more pitch nights abroad in 2024 than in the UK because (a) I just turn up instead of needing to make a reservation and pay a deposit (plus there are still free Aires) and (b) pitch fees are much much cheaper so that offsets the channel crossing cost.
We are at Sunbeach camper park, Finestrat north of Benidorm, about 800/900 yard from small beach ,bus opposite to Benidorm, 12 euro a night plus electric at 3.50 per night, showers, toilets, washing machines

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We are at Sunbeach camper park, Finestrat north of Benidorm, about 800/900 yard from small beach ,bus opposite to Benidorm, 12 euro a night plus electric at 3.50 per night, showers, toilets, washing machines
Interesting, but how close are the vans?
Bet its not the '6mtr' rule.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

We’re on the aire at Tavira and the closest point to the next van is 5 metres. I’m sure that if there were a fire, either of us could soon drive out. 👍

Ian

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We’re on the aire at Tavira and the closest point to the next van is 5 metres. I’m sure that if there were a fire, either of us could soon drive out. 👍

Ian
Assuming one of you is actually with their motorhome!:whistle2:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Well, we are currently sitting in the van on the CAMC York site, it’s completely full, just back from a leisurely stroll from lunch in a delightful restaurant overlooking the Ouse. Wonderful location for a site and worth every penny.

Just booked Melrose for tomorrow, quickly and easily on the website , only paid my deposit and looking forward to another wonderful town site.

We have a month in Germany coming up, mainly stellplatz and in September a week in Spain, mix of sites/aires. It’s great to have choice and for those who don’t like the 2 main clubs there is lots of other choice.

Happy camping!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Generally not a fan of CAMC but had a positive experience this week. I contacted them to ask why I hadn’t received a free overnight voucher as many members obviously had. They ignored my first email so I tried again. This time I got a reply confirming I hadn’t received a voucher because my communication preferences were all set to ‘no’. However, they offered to reimburse me one night for a recent stay I had in Knaresborough (£36) or email a voucher for a future stay. Better than I expected. I might even retain my membership using the £36 as a fee discount!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I
Would also say In the 6 metre rule where there is an awning up or car parked next to you on Caravan and Motorhome Club site the 6 Metre rule is out of the window

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I

Would also say In the 6 metre rule where there is an awning up or car parked next to you on Caravan and Motorhome Club site the 6 Metre rule is out of the window
But still better than 3 mtrs.
Bit irrelevant anyway, and you make a fair point re awnings and cars.
At the end of the sunset, if you are out for the day and one of your neighbours suffers the horrors of a fire or similar, if you aren't around to perhaps quickly move your vehicle out of the way to aid rescue, if permissable, you are probably going to be caught up in whatever the unfortunate consequences are whether its 6mtrs or not.
Best of luck in wherever you park to keep you and others safe. (y)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
But still better than 3 mtrs.
Bit irrelevant anyway, and you make a fair point re awnings and cars.
At the end of the sunset, if you are out for the day and one of your neighbours suffers the horrors of a fire or similar, if you aren't around to perhaps quickly move your vehicle out of the way to aid rescue, if permissable, you are probably going to be caught up in whatever the unfortunate consequences are whether its 6mtrs or not.
Best of luck in wherever you park to keep you and others safe. (y)
Thanks at the moment it's lovely hot weather in the Alicante area

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Not a member, but my daughter bought us £100 of site vouchers for christmas. Was looking to book in at York for two nights in the next month or so. Price was £64 a night nearly fell off my chair. Paid £15 a night last weekend for a site attached to a brewery which included EHU, showers/ toilets.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I was referring to the site at Finestrat, in the Benidorm region, nowhere else.

Are you suggesting that Finestrat is atypical?

Still quite close though.
Personally, I like the 6mtr rule, if only to give a feeling of not being hemmed in.
The safety factor from fire or similar is a further bonus.

I’m not feeling hemmed in with our 5m threshold and would probably also feel fine at 4m. Granted, 3m would start to feel a little more cramped but I wouldn’t be unduly concerned. I do get jittery when parking my car in Sainsburys car park though. 😎

I Would also say In the 6 metre rule where there is an awning up or car parked next to you on Caravan and Motorhome Club site the 6 Metre rule is out of the window

Indeed!

you are probably going to be caught up in whatever the unfortunate consequences are whether its 6mtrs or not.

That’s the thing with thresholds, there are always circumstances where they’re just not enough.👍

Ian

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Are you suggesting that Finestrat is atypical?
Not particularly, but when we were in the area recently we saw some of the sites with tourers on , and they seemed extremely cramped, and in some cases where residents had ' extended' beyond their boundaries, it looked like a shanty town.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not particularly, but when we were in the area recently we saw some of the sites with tourers on , and they seemed extremely cramped, and in some cases where residents had ' extended' beyond their boundaries, it looked like a shanty town.

From the outside, some aire type sites can look cramped but, generally, if you're paying for a pitch the spacing is quite reasonable.

Ian

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Not a member, but my daughter bought us £100 of site vouchers for christmas. Was looking to book in at York for two nights in the next month or so. Price was £64 a night nearly fell off my chair. Paid £15 a night last weekend for a site attached to a brewery which included EHU, showers/ toilets.
I thought one had to be a member and show membership card to take advantage of that promotion? 🤔

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I’m not sure what you mean; the sites that I’m referring to are commercially operated ones.

Ian
Well, some of those then looked a bit like shanty towns.
On the outskirts of Benidorm on the road to Albir and Altea.
Up where the mock medieval Fort theme park is.
Only my opinion though, so don't shoot me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back