Are CAMC finally getting the message (3 Viewers)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Interesting to hear from someone who owned and ran a CL. The problem identified is the limit on numbers. This will not change whilst two large companies that masquerade as clubs are seen as the voice of Motorhomers and Caravanners. They are perfectly entitled to charge whatever they like but they cannot at the same time purport to represent our pastime. There is a serious conflict of interest which has stifled competition and inflated prices due to inefficient working practices - just check how many people work at CAMC HQ.

Not sure what you mean by the limit on numbers?

If you mean the 5 van limit that is due to the planning laws, as far as I am aware, that's the limit to which the exempting organisations can grant the exemption.

Anything more needs planning permission.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Both clubs pushing hard on advertising at the mo. CAMC really pushing adverts on Facebook and saw a TV advert for CCC last night. Maybe that tells us something?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Interesting to hear from someone who owned and ran a CL. The problem identified is the limit on numbers. This will not change whilst two large companies that masquerade as clubs are seen as the voice of Motorhomers and Caravanners. They are perfectly entitled to charge whatever they like but they cannot at the same time purport to represent our pastime. There is a serious conflict of interest which has stifled competition and inflated prices due to inefficient working practices - just check how many people work at CAMC HQ.
Inefficient working practices how so? I sometimes read that the wardens are overworked and understaffed. How do you know what the work practices are?

Does the CAMC or CCC represent Caravan and motorhome owners, my guess is that they do from a particular view point

Whilst some moan about the per night charge, have you looked at what Airbnb charges are? a couple of recent stay's and you find the apartment may be £80 per night yet a service charge of £40. Post number 501 highlights what the costs are running a private site so the large organisations will have to charge and be profitable.

Do tell what ideally would a large club look like and how should it be run?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
The CAMC website is acting up again,I tried to view my booking for May to amend it, but it says I don't have any even though I had the confirmation email a week ago.
I have just rang them and they apologised and said if I give the booking ref he would get my booking up on his screen ,Guess what he said sorry my system is not letting me in could you ring back this afternoon and it might be fixed

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Earlier I could not amend my booking as the website was having problems,so I tried again a few minutes ago,it allowed me to amend the dates, etc but when it came to checkout it was "greyed" and wouldn't allow me to continue,so I rang them again and they were able to complete it for me but because increasing my stay took the total of the stay to £200.90 and I had only paid £20 deposit on original booking she said I would have to pay an extra 9 pence on my card
Are they purposely trying to alienate their customers? :(

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Just about every site full this Easter weekend. Time to stay home.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Earlier I could not amend my booking as the website was having problems,so I tried again a few minutes ago,it allowed me to amend the dates, etc but when it came to checkout it was "greyed" and wouldn't allow me to continue,so I rang them again and they were able to complete it for me but because increasing my stay took the total of the stay to £200.90 and I had only paid £20 deposit on original booking she said I would have to pay an extra 9 pence on my card
Are they purposely trying to alienate their customers? :(
Possibly not?
We have got to a situation where the robot's (computers) control the human and not the other way around.
If the Computer says it needs another 9p before it will proceed, it needs a human to give it another 9p. 😢
In the future, AI will round it up to 10p for you! 😄

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It’s the mud & tow out that puts me off - 66 days rain in the last 70 here. And it is raining heavily again today of course!

We nearly always wildcamp and I cannot remember when we last parked on grass.

You have to be more creative about thinking where to park - there are many hardstanding spots with no restrictions, even in UK. Often with nice views.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We nearly always wildcamp and I cannot remember when we last parked on grass.

You have to be more creative about thinking where to park - there are many hardstanding spots with no restrictions, even in UK. Often with nice views.

I admire your creativity, but in my experience hardstanding is usually created for a purpose and in the UK that generally doesn’t involve motorhomes. Even where it does exist it’s too often the haunt of travellers and boy racers. Each to his own though.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I admire your creativity, but in my experience hard standing is usually created for a purpose and in the UK that generally doesn’t involve motorhomes. Even where it does exist it’s too often the haunt of travellers and boy racers. Each to his own though.

By 'hardstanding' I also include gravel and paving.

There are lots of quiet roads where I have parked, not in front of houses; village greens, church car parks, parkings next to walking areas etc.

When you next drive around just look for these places and check them out.

I am respectful and I have never been moved on.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Both clubs pushing hard on advertising at the mo. CAMC really pushing adverts on Facebook and saw a TV advert for CCC last night. Maybe that tells us something?
That they made the commercially fatal mistake of not listening to their customers ?

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Been a member for 20 years but no longer crazy prices these days I forgot to renew my subs and had a email saying that I had a few days to make my payment or that would be it no reminders would be sent and my membership would be cancelled.

So with that sort of attitude I opted to.keep my money and spend it on the other side of the channel
Totally agree. CAMC prices and UK pitches generally are SO expensive compared to really good EU sites. I especially object to CAMC charging per person. That's ridiculous. Premier Inn don't do that.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Barry and I, with the dogs are currently visiting Wales. Stayed on best CL site ever, near Ross on Wye. On a 500 acre orchard farm with amazing views. Lovely owner who didn’t mind where you walked as long as your dog did not go into the rows of fruit. No facilities apart from hook up, water and waste dump. He has not put his charges up for 5 years - still only £15 per night🤗.
Next CAMC Brecon. £88 for three nights so not too bad. Lovely site, fantastic dog walk and pristine showers/toilets. Notice asking us to conserve electric but when you walked into the block, in the middle of a heat wave, they had heating on full😡. Had issues with the noisy pair of women, next door, until 1.30am. Asked wardens in morning if the pair would be going that day. Would not tell us and the inference was “tell them yourselves😤”. Fortunately, they left and next day, literally ready to go, the 2 year old Havachon jumped out of van, did two circuits round the empty pitch next door but stopped as soon as I told him “stop”. This was in front of an officious warden who shouted to me “put your dog on a lead” in a very unpleasant tone.
As a Level 7 Google Reviewer, she has now lost them 2⭐️s Instead of the 5 I was going to award. Can soon enforce a rule when they want to but not prepared to reprimand antisoctal members!
Next, went to private site near Tenby. Actual site cared for but toilets/showers horrible. Cost £30 per night. We both agreed that we would rather pay the extra and have pleasant, clean facilities.
Now on site just outside of Dolgellau. Lovely small site, amazing views, great showers/toilets with serviced pitch. £40 per night😲. Most we have ever paid, especially when you have to pay extra to handwash your clothes or use an iron. Chose the site as close to town where you pick up cycle trail to Barmouth.
we would probably not renew our membership but then we would be unable to use the many CL sites.
As one member said ”would rather go abroad with sites 16/18 euros”. Ok, but with Tesco cutting down on Clubcard points so now having to pay tunnel plus the cost of both dogs, their Healthcare certificates, our health insurance, dogs treated for tapeworm on return, no longer a cheaper holiday. Hopefully, with empty sites, Club will reduce their prices.
I agree. one has to think about CAMC membership nowadays. Their prices are very steep, and tge attitude you experienced not acceptable. The CL/CS sites, are worth it though. And there is tge reduced channel crossing prices.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
In answer to the question in the thread title, I doubt it. For all the 'special offers' etc. the sites are still overpriced. The way they are operated, facilities blocks closed for a couple of hours each day for instance does little to encourage purchasing the product. If 24 hour loo facilities requires me to use my own, then why would I pay CAMC prices? Just done a month in France & Spain with average site costs of £10 pn.
Exactly! Totally agree. EU prices are far more reasonable. CAMC are pricing themselves out of the market.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We find club sites too expensive, especially as we use our own facilities. The new loo blocks are designed so one half is always open, so I understand. The number of emails I receive about offers would suggest uptake is not what it was. However there is evidence that people are booking nearer to going away, especially since deposits. BUT there are plenty of people willing to pay the prices. On another forum I often see people extolling this site or the other, sometimes I have a look at the site but they are frequently £60 a night, albeit with lots of facilities. So on that basis £45 for example for a club site is very reasonable!!! I think for some the site is the destination not the area. This has never been the case for us; location of the site, yes, basic clean site with well kept facilities, yes, don’t need shower blocks, playgrounds and dog washes. And before someone accuses me of being anti kids, we didn’t need playgrounds when are son was small, there was always plenty to do.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I think for some the site is the destination not the area.

I think thats a good point and goes a long way to explaining why some folks are happy to pay inflated prices. However, if that’s what sustains the business it’s not really about touring anymore.

Reactions: hja

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back