Are 3Way Fridges Okay? Any Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm trying to finalise the last few big items to fit into my Camper re-build.

I've had a compressor fridge for the last 4 years, which has worked faultlessly, but because I'm always worried about power consumption (need power to work), I've often switched the fridge off.

Although the re-build will have far more usable power, I think I'd prefer to keep electrical use to a minimum. So I'm thinking a 3-way fridge might be a better choice?

I've read often that for gas use the van needs to be level. How level?

Are we talking within 1/2 degree level or within say 5 degrees?

I've also read about issues in warmer climates. My van is very insulated, so tends to stay quite cool in the Summer. If I leave the insulation behind the fridge, apart from where the vents fit, and fit a temperature controlled fan to the vent, would this probably combat the problem? Anything else that may help?

Finally, I'm not sure which make to go for. The common brands seem to be Dometic and Thetford.

I'd be looking for something around 100ltrs. Any recommendations?

Is there anything else I need to think about with a 3-way fridge?

Thanks,
David

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've always had 3-way fridges and rarely have any issues, the only time we do is when it's 40 degrees and the ice-cream gets a little bit soft, but other than that no real problem, although I'm gonna fit a fan just to be safe.

As for level, if it's uncomfortable for you to sit, eat, cook, work etc then you might have an issue with your fridge so you'd be unlikely to leave the camper like that anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Whilst there are some nice slimline tall fridges around now, for your van's design I'd stick to the more traditional style one as it will fit the space you've designated quite nicely ... unless of course you want an excuse to play with your design software again! :D

The other name that comes to mind is Norcold but I think they are part of Thetford.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought ... using a 3-way means you will use gas instead of electric, however you do need to be able to store enough gas to do so, so will you have enough gas storage capacity to keep you going along with your other gas needs? If you get an AES you could wire it so that it can use the excess energy from your solar system and thus reduced gas demand.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Mel, was hoping that was the re: level :)

Yep, was planning on a built under model.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Provided that the fridge is in good order, I don’t think that it needs to be particularly level.

As I understand it, the main difference between the two types of fridge is that one has a forced circulation (pumped) system and the other relies on achieving a thermal gradient across the refrigerant Loop (achieved by heating part of the circuit). If the heat input is low (or the ambient temperature is high) the temperature gradient can be reduced resulting in a lower circulation rate and hence a reduced cooling effect.

Ian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have both in our PVC. A small three way fridge and a compressor cool box - Dometic CDF26.
We only bought the coolbox because the fridge was too small and didn't chill the wine well in hot places. The small fridge was a consequence of having an oven - which we wouldn't be without.
So...... if you don't want an oven my advice would be a large three way fridge if you intend to use the vehicle mostly in the UK. If you intend to go to hot and sunny places get a compressor fridge and the solar to run it. :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just a thought ... using a 3-way means you will use gas instead of electric, however you do need to be able to store enough gas to do so, so will you have enough gas storage capacity to keep you going along with your other gas needs? If you get an AES you could wire it so that it can use the excess energy from your solar system and thus reduced gas demand.

Should be okay I think with gas. We have a fair size under-slung tank, and I've looked at the consumption of a few fridges and not too bad. It will be an AES model so I'll give your idea some thought.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

There is way more energy stored in your gas cylinders than is the case for even a large battery bank.

Even if my fridge was configured to run from 12v, I would never prioritise electric over gas. AES fridges are much more effective when using gas as the heat source. If on hook-up, yes by all means prioritise electric.

Ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Should be okay I think with gas. We have a fair size under-slung tank, and I've looked at the consumption of a few fridges and not too bad. It will be an AES model so I'll give your idea some thought.
There was a thread on the forum not that long ago about running an AES fridge from the solar power, you just need to ensure you have the right controller I think ... have a search and you should find it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There is way more energy stored in your gas cylinders than is the case for even a large battery bank.

Even if my fridge was configured to run from 12v, I would never prioritise electric over gas. AES fridges are much more effective when using gas as the heat source. If on hook-up, yes by all means prioritise electric.

Ian
Yup, agree with that but he's planning on installing some super duper batteries and solar so will more than likely have power to spare and he might as well use it as it will be free. (y)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have both in our PVC. A small three way fridge and a compressor cool box - Dometic CDF26.
We only bought the coolbox because the fridge was too small and didn't chill the wine well in hot places. The small fridge was a consequence of having an oven - which we wouldn't be without.
So...... if you don't want an oven my advice would be a large three way fridge if you intend to use the vehicle mostly in the UK. If you intend to go to hot and sunny places get a compressor fridge and the solar to run it. :)

I think that's a great idea.

Def sticking with our oven, but I can fit a 100ltr fridge in as well.
If it was an issue down the line, when in very hot climates, I could add a portable compressor fridge.
It could live in storage most of the time, just coming out when needed. Genius :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think that's a great idea.

Def sticking with our oven, but I can fit a 100ltr fridge in as well.
If it was an issue down the line, when in very hot climates, I could add a portable compressor fridge.
It could live in storage most of the time, just coming out when needed. Genius :)
The CDF26 fits between the front seats when we park up. When travelling it sits transversally behind the passenger seat. It takes 6 bottles of wine but we sacrifice some volume for salad stuff like lettuce and tomatoes, which are bulky. I am sensible sometimes. :)

Ideally, it should be secured I suppose when travelling but if we ever did have a major crash we would be too busy dodging the other fittings shaken loose to worry about the cool-box. :)

P9110152.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not the best picture, but this shows our coolbox (just) as we have it for travelling. The front seats are on the left. Dog optional. :) But this may not work well in a PVC where you couldn't use the full width of the sliding door.

P7031160.JPG

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Gas consumption is minimal in my experience, very efficient.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We seem to be veering towards the opposite of you David. Always had absorption and now veering towards compressor.
The general consensus when I asked the question was that compressor are more efficient units, work better in hot climates, better on slopes and more reliable.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's the model I found on Google @DBK

Is it noisy at all?
We don't find it so but unless it's very hot we usually turn it off when we go to bed. The temperature creeps up overnight but as we haven't yet reached the stage we want a cold beer for breakfast this isn't a problem.
Come and have a listen if you want to visit us near Plymouth. :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks @DBK although I'd need to bigger cage for the whole setup.
IMG_20151221_142131.jpg

Mind you it would create more room in our van if I used everything in your boot.
(Missus has told me if I buy Croc's she's leaving me :) )

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We don't find it so but unless it's very hot we usually turn it off when we go to bed. The temperature creeps up overnight but as we haven't yet reached the stage we want a cold beer for breakfast this isn't a problem.
Come and have a listen if you want to visit us near Plymouth. :)

I might take you up on that. If the offer is still open after my Croc's comment :cautious:

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We seem to be veering towards the opposite of you David. Always had absorption and now veering towards compressor.
The general consensus when I asked the question was that compressor are more efficient units, work better in hot climates, better on slopes and more reliable.

I agree with all you've written. I've really liked our compressor fridge.

It's just all about electrical power for us.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
[QUOTE
I might take you up on that. If the offer is still open after my Croc's comment :cautious:
:) I have white Crocs now - good for walking the dog at night. :)

Despite my comment about beer for breakfast I must confess we use the coolbox all year round. I have a 240v adaptor for it so when we get home it moves to my "study" and is used almost exclusively as a wine/beer cooler. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with all you've written. I've really liked our compressor fridge.

It's just all about electrical power for us.

Yes I know what you mean, with your set up though, will it make much difference power wise, although solar is useless on a lot of days in winter.
No holes in the side of the van too with compressor.
Have a look at Shoreline compressor fridges, someone linked to them on here a few months ago, advertised as low power too.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Yes I know what you mean, with your set up though, will it make much difference power wise, although solar is useless on a lot of days in winter.
No holes in the side of the van too with compressor.
Have a look at Shoreline compressor fridges, someone linked to them on here a few months ago, advertised as low power too.

The trouble is, even a compressor fridge that runs @ 1A per hour will use close to 100A over 4 days. Even with the mental B2B we will probably fit, it would mean other hour of having to drive.

Agree about the holes in the van. I'd seal the fridge in well though, so shouldn't be too bad I think.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The trouble is, even a compressor fridge that runs @ 1A per hour will use close to 100A over 4 days. Even with the mental B2B we will probably fit, it would mean other hour of having to drive.

Agree about the holes in the van. I'd seal the fridge in well though, so shouldn't be too bad I think.

During most of the year though your set up will have plenty of excess power available surely, only in winter there maybe an issue.
We are still in 2 minds what to do but want the compressor I think. The reason we got rid of the Murvi was that it had Eberspacher heating, what a drain on power that was.
I think with gas heating and compressor fridge should be ok, if diesel heating would go for an absorption model

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
If we didn't want full-time use out of the re-build, I think we'd stick with a compressor.

Don't get me started on heating :)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Absorption fridges are mostly rubbish at anything above 20c.

If you have the power or use EHU, 12v compressor is the way to go.

I have installed a 240v freezer above our 3-way. Runs off Victron inverter when not on EHU. Great for freezing foods, ice packs and all sorts that the Dometic one will not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Absorption fridges are mostly rubbish at anything above 20c.
Don't agree with that at all, now if we're talking over 35/40 degrees they do struggle, but certainly not at 20

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
They reckon that with no charging from your solar panel or from the engine these will last 3 days on a 95 amp hour battery.
The advantages are you don't have to cut holes in your van fir vents you don't have to pipe gas to them or wire up 240 volts.
If you fitted a battery to battery charger as well and started up for a bit every other day I would say these would last indefinitely

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think I’d go for a three-way fridge, for flexibility. Fridges consume energy and a battery bank does not contain much, whereas gas does and you have a refillable tank.

Gas fridges in a stationary environment last ‘forever’ but shaking them about seems to reduce their effective lifespan. Even so, the gas side is pretty reliable and I don’t think it’s much less efficient than compressor under ‘normal’ conditions. I think Thetford are new into this market and may have had some teething problems. You should investigate that if you’re not thinking of a Dometic one. I’ve not had a problem with levelling but they are said to be sensitive to that. Look at the spec. Even 5° is not a lot, though. I like my soup to stay in the bowl, so maybe that’s why the level has not been an issue for me.

Compressor fridges have some attractions but remember about the energy required to power them. If your style is to visit sites rather than wild, one of these would work. Compressors can cope with a wider range of environmental temperatures, but they do make a noise when running. They consume most when it’s really sunny, of course, but solar panels could compensate for that. You could also place the condenser remotely (under the floor) where can push extracted heat directly to the outside. A downside is that it would exercise your batteries more and deeper cycles will reduce their lifespan.

I’d get a larder fridge, without a freezer, and install fans to provide good ventilation.

I hope that’s answered everything.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Don't agree with that at all, now if we're talking over 35/40 degrees they do struggle, but certainly not at 20

I am an RAC (nothing to do with the breakdown service) Engineer and been using 3-way fridge for camping, caravanning and motorhomes for nearly 40 years.

Have to disagree.

Ammonia Absorption Refrigeration is a poor and inefficient way to cool anything. Hence the reason that it is not used in many applications other than recreational & Leisure purposes.

Absorption systems require about five times more energy than even the best efficient vapour compression systems. Requiring fossil fuels to run them.

Modern R600a (isobutane) refrigeration systems are far more efficient and can be run on solar power.

Okay, if you turn your 3-way fridge on the day before, load with cold food, thats fine. Try cooling or freezing anything in summer and not only will it take a very long time to refrigerate. But also, the warm products will initially take the coolness from the existing items stored in your fridge or freezer. Opening and closing the door, for example to get milk, will result in even longer refrigeration times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back