Anyone's Truma doing this during the hot weather? (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
My Truma 4 has the classic control knob with hot water 40 or 60 C.

This week we have been down in The New Forest (Roundhill site - would recommend).

Normally when the Mrs Beano has a shower (she goes first of course) the controller is set at 60C and she has a great shower.

If I go in next, I normally turn the hot water down to 40C but noticed that the water ran cold and the boiler didnt cut in to reheat.

The hot water works fine on 60 and fine on 40 when cold started on the 40C setting.

However, this week it doesn't want to work when turning down from 60 to 40.

I think it has something to do with the hot weather. The thermostat must be duped into thinking the stored water is at 40C even though it is lower.

On return home today I thought I would descale the unit.

This all went fine so I then attempted the following:

Set unit to 60C and wait for the amber light to go out.
Change unit setting to 40C
Draw off tank of water - temperature is down to 30C now.
Leave it a few mins and draw off some more. Temp def below 30C

The Truma does not fire up giving you the 'cool' shower I experienced earlier in the week.

Open the truma cupboard up and its very warm around the unit (easily 40+C)

Left it at 40 for a couple of hours and the unit has cooled down suficiently and has reheated the water back to 40C.

Anyone else experience the same?

Please try it and let me know (in case mine is banjoed!)

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Interesting that we were at Lyndon top last couple of days and this happened to us set to 60 and heated up ok thought the same has you side of van very warm in the sun

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Deanobeano if you are showering straight after your good lady there’s no point in turning the heat setting down imho as it won’t affect the stored water.
If your leaving it for some time my guess is the stat thinks the water is hot enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I see a very easy option to this dilemma.....
Set the heat to 40° then YOU have a shower.
Turn up to 60° then She has a shower.
Tell her it's the only way it will work and the other option is you will stink. . .. Sorted.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I just set to 60 and we adjust the shower temperature using the mixer tap. That way you have more stored heat in the stored water and a better chance of getting 2 showers out of it. The stored capacity is small and 1.8kw is not going to heat the water quickly enough to keep up with a shower.

OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Yeah, I know running at 60 makes more sense but was interested if anyone else was having issues during this current hot water with the Truma not holding 40C.

On a positive note, 60C keeps the water legionella free
On a negative note, more scaling potential at 60C (and it can feel too hot, when it first comes out!)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is a C4 or C6, on the 40 setting the hysteresis is very wide , once up to 40 the thermostat will not turn back on until the water temp is below 27 which makes the 40/Eco setting unusable.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
IMHO the 40 setting should only be used if there are children in the van to avoid the danger of scalding. As said, leave it at 60 & adjust the mixer. We use a trigger type shower head & I agree it always comes hotter to start with so I just direct it at the floor for a couple of seconds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back