Anyone had problems with Lebara/Vodaphone and battery drain? iPhone SE (2020) (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Switched from GiffGaff (02) to Lebara (Vodaphone) the other day. Started to notice that my battery was running down really quickly. It lost about 18% overnight without being in use at all. I've done all the usual checks, Bluetooth off, Background App refresh off and a host of other power saving things. It's not the phone battery as I've been experimenting putting the sim in an older phone with the same results. With the sim out of the phone and wifi on there is no noticeable battery drain. We have excellent Vodaphone signal here, better than O2. I'm interested to hear if anyone has the same problem and if they have remedied it.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Interesting, I recently changed to Talkmobile (vodaphone) and have noticed my battery losing power quicker

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Funny you should have this as over the last few days mine has been doing the same, I'm with Virgin (02) I think it's down to the phone hunting for a signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Interesting, I recently changed to Talkmobile (vodaphone) and have noticed my battery losing power quicker
As an example battery dropped from 84% to 59% overnight last night. Second phone without sim dropped by 2 percentage points. Think I’ll request a new SIM card from Lebara in case this one is faulty. If it’s still a problem I’ll have to switch provider.

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Funny you should have this as over the last few days mine has been doing the same, I'm with Virgin (02) I think it's down to the phone hunting for a signal.
Mine was fine on GiffGaff (o2) and they have a weaker signal in our area than Lebara (vodaphone) I’ve read that those companies that ‘piggyback’ on the main network providers (MVNOs) sometimes could be compromised to certain network towers, rather than the nearest so have to work harder to pick up a signal, hence the drain on battery.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
My wife’s iPhone with EE dropping power overnight thr EE shop said there’s a known problem with some we changed to a I phone 15 no more battery loss my old iPhone SE no problems.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You will be direct on 02 no piggy backing, Virgin swapped all accounts to 02 last October & increased data, wife's went from 15gb to 100gb. I'll ask her if she has noticed if her phone is using more power.

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Reckon I'll experiment with a few other sims. Lyca runs on EE and you can get a 1GB sim for 45p a month, no contract. Got a spare phone at moment so no need to port number yet. If thats not draining the battery I'll switch to their bigger packages with generous roaming allowances. I only moved from GiffGaff as they will only let you have 5gb roaming in Europe then its a whopping £100 ish per GB.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just asked the boss and she said she can't believe how quickly her phone is going flat. She is having to charge it every day when it used to last two or three days. She reckons it's been doing it for a couple of months.

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Just asked the boss and she said she can't believe how quickly her phone is going flat. She is having to charge it every day when it used to last two or three days. She reckons it's been doing it for a couple of months.
Thats interesting as I think you said it was on O2, not piggybacking on O2.
To test mine I happened to have another old iPhone. Charged them both up to full. Had the sim in my new one, left it for a few hours and it was down, a lot. The old phone without the sim had not shifted from 100%. Then swapped the sim to the old phone and repeated test. Phone without the sim remained at 100%, old phone now with the sim had drained considerably. Now I know that does not prove anything but I do suspect the sim is responsible for the excessive drain.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I wonder if it’s to do with the latest iOS, as Shrimp se 2020 is doing the same on Smarty but mine ( same phone and on Smarty) isn’t suffering as much.
At least it will give Apple hater’s something to go at🤣

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I wonder if it’s to do with the latest iOS, as Shrimp se 2020 is doing the same on Smarty but mine ( same phone and on Smarty) isn’t suffering as much.
At least it will give Apple hater’s something to go at🤣
I don’t think it is. I was on iOS 17.2.1 before I swapped sims and battery discharge was normal. It’s only since the sim swap that things have gone pear shaped

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Switched from GiffGaff (02) to Lebara (Vodaphone) the other day. Started to notice that my battery was running down really quickly. It lost about 18% overnight without being in use at all. I've done all the usual checks, Bluetooth off, Background App refresh off and a host of other power saving things. It's not the phone battery as I've been experimenting putting the sim in an older phone with the same results. With the sim out of the phone and wifi on there is no noticeable battery drain. We have excellent Vodaphone signal here, better than O2. I'm interested to hear if anyone has the same problem and if they have remedied it.
Try going to Battery - Battery Health and Charging - and you can see what is using power over the last 24 hours or last 10 days, that might give you a clue.

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Try going to Battery - Battery Health and Charging - and you can see what is using power over the last 24 hours or last 10 days, that might give you a clue.
I had a look at that but it only seems to tell me which apps are using power. There does not seem to be anything that tells me how much the sim, on its own when the phone is not being used.

OP
OP
Soycd
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I’m with Lebara, no issues on Android, battery life fine. Phone is Samsung A52.
It’s very hit and miss I think, location is probably playing a part. We are away this weekend so it will be interesting to see what happens in a different location

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I switched to Labara last year from plusnet and there's no difference in battery drain, both networks reception here is 1 or 2 bars.

Samsung A54 👌

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Both of ours are on 02 via tescos and batteries ok both cheap samsungs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun