Anyone had an oil & filter change at Kwickfit ? (3 Viewers)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
An interesting comparison when you consider that the solicitor has studied bloody hard for 7 years to get into the most junior position in practice, if he is lucky, and is then probably still on about the same hourly rate as a QF fitter.

Not being defensive, but my letters have earned my clients a great deal more than it costs them to have the oil changed in their cars. As a few people around here will confirm

Supply and demand
Agreed but a mechanic might have done a 4 yr apprenticeship, am not sure a junior solicitor is on the same as QF fitter as regards to costing more it might if done incorrectly and he blows up your engine
BTW I encouraged my son to study law at uni, and it's not that bad judging by the partying he doing at the mo :sneaky: (y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just because they are "main dealers "they are only as good as their mechanics-my local garage charges £30 hr (not fixed prices ) and sometimes fixes the motors that the "main dealers "cant manage. He has to be fair as it is his buisness at stake.
With these new vechicles your mechanic probably not got the equipment to integrate the ecu and implement any software updates, if the difference is £30 am using the main dealer you use who you want it's your money

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I think you will find many a solicitor with grubby hands.......just not from oil;)
I'm not being too defensive over a flippant comment, but having practiced as a solicitor for 30 years, I've lost count of the free advice, help,and assistance I've given, getting people out of the sh*t, getting them their money back, saving their businesses, etc. Don't know whether mechanics work for nothing. So a little less of the easy generalisations please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Agreed but a mechanic might have done a 4 yr apprenticeship, am not sure a junior solicitor is on the same as QF fitter as regards to costing more it might if done incorrectly and he blows up your engine
BTW I encouraged my son to study law at uni, and it's not that bad judging by the partying he doing at the mo :sneaky: (y)
The operative word is might. You can set up business as a mechanic without any training, but you'll be jailed if you try to do the same as a practicing solicitor. And quite rightly, too

I have a very high regard for apprenticed mechanics, rare that they are nowadays, although they do at least earn a wage whilst they are learning their trade. And with respect to those working in QF changing exhaust pipes, tyres, suspension and batteries, I hardly think those skills take 4 years to acquire.

A quick look at the Quickfit "apprenticeship scheme"(!) reveals that at best 20% is spent in the classroom - 20 weeks - and, after 2 years, fitters are then considered "qualified" to City and Guilds Level 2 Certification, incidentally the same level of qualification as a person considered competent in another field to shampoo and dry a customers hair in a beauty salon and handle reception duties.

No, I'm not having a go at hairdressers, either, but I am trying to put things into perspective

Blowing up an engine and having a client wrongly jailed for something that he didn't do, or losing his home over an illegal loan agreement or having his life torn apart by idiotic misinterpretation/misapplication of the law, or his business seized by a rapacious bank are in entirely different leagues. Ask soon to be freed Sgt Blackman whose services he values the greater, or anyone else faced with a day or more in court, and I think they are likely to tell you they would prefer a lawyer at their sides.

And when I am stuck at the side of the road, I admit I would rather have a mechanic by my side. But at least I know I will be returning to my own home when the crisis is over.

I would also add that I give pro bono services for those in need for at least 20% of my working diary. I may have clean hands, but I also have a clean conscience. I wonder if mechanics are quite so altruistic, for I have never met one yet who hasn't walked off with lots of my cash in his grubby pocket, and seldom met one prepared to offer a receipt

Anyway, we are in agreement, so no argument from me. I didn't do a great deal of partying myself, and I'm not sure I envy anyone starting off in this profession, but good luck to your son (y)

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I'm not being too defensive over a flippant comment, but having practiced as a solicitor for 30 years, I've lost count of the free advice, help,and assistance I've given, getting people out of the sh*t, getting them their money back, saving their businesses, etc. Don't know whether mechanics work for nothing. So a little less of the easy generalisations please.
Bravo :clap2:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
There was a so called Master Mechanic at the QF depot where I was briefly employed, 2 years training, was all he had, having seen the results of some of his work, I would not have let him change a wiper blade, people's lives were in his hands.
I left after a 6 months, my conscience told me to get the hell out of there.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
@Ingwe @pyro
You solicitors are a defensive lot(y)
I wasn't having a go at solicitors I was trying to put things into perspective.
I have seen you give plenty off advice on here pyro, which whould have cost the individual, which am sure there grateful for
Hopefully I won't need to ask for advice, however I get the feeling you would be more than happy to help if asked which shows me what type of person you are and am sure ingwe would do the same (y)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Last time I watched an oil and filter change it took less than 15 minutes, whilst the machine sucked the oil the mechanic changed the filter then filled it up withnice clean oil.

Main dealers charge ridiculous labour rates, twice what I charged fo a charted design engineer when I worked and all my projects were profitable.

the main problem with using the vacuum pump to suck the oil out is sludge is left behind ant it never removes all the oil,
i always get engine up too full temperature and drain the sump overnight if possible,
change sump washer and fill up filter before screwing it to the block, i appreciate some oil filters it's not possible due to the angle they are fitted,
it's not rocket science! use you levelling ramp to get the front a bit higher preferably facing down hill so the vans level,
my sump drain is to the rear so isn't a problem,
use the best oil and filter you can buy it pays in the long run,

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
@Ingwe @pyro
You solicitors are a defensive lot(y)
I wasn't having a go at solicitors I was trying to put things into perspective.
I have seen you give plenty off advice on here pyro, which whould have cost the individual, which am sure there grateful for
Hopefully I won't need to ask for advice, however I get the feeling you would be more than happy to help if asked which shows me what type of person you are and am sure ingwe would do the same (y)
Oh dear, mental note, solicitors and humour. Is pyro a solicitor? He is the only person I ever had 'ignored' on MHF :Eeek::clap2:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
the main problem with using the vacuum pump to suck the oil out is sludge is left behind ant it never removes all the oil,
i always get engine up too full temperature and drain the sump overnight if possible,
change sump washer and fill up filter before screwing it to the block, i appreciate some oil filters it's not possible due to the angle they are fitted,
it's not rocket science! use you levelling ramp to get the front a bit higher preferably facing down hill so the vans level,
my sump drain is to the rear so isn't a problem,
use the best oil and filter you can buy it pays in the long run,
The thing is, changing the oil is about the simplest thing that you could do on a motor undo a nut , collect the oil, unscrew the filter, put the nut back with a new washer, screw on another filter, fill up with new oil.
Why would you give someone £180 to do that:Eeek:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Oh dear, mental note, solicitors and humour. Is pyro a solicitor? He is the only person I ever had 'ignored' on MHF :Eeek::clap2:
Didn't realise you worked for Quick Fit, Campa Cola (y)

Nice to know I have managed at least one "ignore" list. I suspect you are on many

Last edited:
OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The thing is, changing the oil is about the simplest thing that you could do on a motor undo a nut , collect the oil, unscrew the filter, put the nut back with a new washer, screw on another filter, fill up with new oil.
It is, so what could possibly go wrong ??:doh:

The local garage I used in Aberdeenshire once for the yearly van service (previous one) managed to swap my original sump plug (with a thread all the way up the shaft) for a slightly different one where the thread did not go all the way up the shaft. So instead of realising this the mechanic obviously just wellies it in, stripping the threads and causing the oil to start leaking out onto my garage floor :Eeek: I had done an interim oil change and had bought a spare original sump plug, so knew the one they had put back in was not a correct Pugeot plug !!! New sump ensued after much shenanigans, but just how did such a fundamental mistake happen, never found out!!!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is, what could possibly go wrong ??:doh:

The local garage I used in Aberdeenshire once for the yearly van service (previous one) managed to swap my original sump plug (with a thread all the way up the shaft) for a slightly different one where the thread did not go all the way up the shaft. So instead of realising this the mechanic obviously just wellies it in, stripping the threads and causing the oil to start leaking out onto my garage floor :Eeek: I had done an interim oil change and had bought a spare original sump plug, so knew the one they had put back in was not a correct Pugeot plug !!! New sump ensued after much shenanigans, but just how did such a fundamental mistake happen, never found out!!!
There you go, £180 and you could have made a better job yourself, for just the cost of oil and filter.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Quickfit rarely have the right tyre in stock, in my experience, so why anyone would think they would have right grade of oil/filter for your particular model is beyond me.
They generally try to persuade you to have 'an equivalent' . What they've got in stock.
I've just had a spare wheel made up, supplied them with the wheel, they fitted a new camper tyre, very good price through the online service.
On collection I discovered it was fitted with an ordinary rubber valve, in spite of me getting their assurance it would have a metal high pressure valve.
The price included £1.50 tyre disposal and £4.75 for valve. No tyre to dispose of and they fitted a useless valve.
Getting them to do servicing? NO

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Quickfit rarely have the right tyre in stock, in my experience, so why anyone would think they would have right grade of oil/filter for your particular model is beyond me.
They generally try to persuade you to have 'an equivalent' . What they've got in stock.
I've just had a spare wheel made up, supplied them with the wheel, they fitted a new camper tyre, very good price through the online service.
On collection I discovered it was fitted with an ordinary rubber valve, in spite of me getting their assurance it would have a metal high pressure valve.
The price included £1.50 tyre disposal and £4.75 for valve. No tyre to dispose of and they fitted a useless valve.
Getting them to do servicing? NO
:whistle::D:D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Find a good independent garage you can trust and use them.

Main stealers are around £100/hr I'm told

Independent are around £50/hr

It has been known for the book to be stamped at main dealer and no oil or filter change just saying :unsure:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@ pyro I've heard of a few solicitors that have passed their exams and should still be locked up :rofl:

Seriously though every job is easy IF you know what you are doing :)
But we are all wired differently to do different tasks.

To me the hardest bit of an oil change is resetting the service reminder :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Surely you have other choices rather than just KwickRipOff and the main stealer !

Google Halfords Autocentre
Bet there is one within a reasonable distance of you ( and I aint a fan of Halfrauds either but the other two options you mention are just non starters !!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Friend of mine in Lisbon got his tyres replaced on his Mondeo for MOT, good make (can't remember), speed rated, cost him 170 Euros for all four

His son back in the UK checked the prices for the same tyres at QF, £91 each

An interesting comparison when you consider that the solicitor has studied bloody hard for 7 years to get into the most junior position in practice, if he is lucky, and is then probably still on about the same hourly rate as a QF fitter.

Not being defensive, but my letters have earned my clients a great deal more than it costs them to have the oil changed in their cars, and often at no cost.

Supply and demand, bad solicitors don't usually last long, and we're generally pretty good at helping others to wash their hands :D

Fair call I take your point about the time a solicitor trains for... My daughter is after all a solicitor.
But.
A solicitor can and does charge upwards of 150 quid an hour.

A good quilifyed tradesman charges in our area about 18 nicker.

A decent tradesman has to spend around 5 years before qualifying for his/her 18 quid so two years less.

All have overheads but whatever the legal profession earn money most of us could only dream about. If I were to go and work on granny's roof for a day and charge 150 an hour (1200 quid) I would be in the paper next week !

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just got back from picking up the M/H from the local yokel

Oil and Filter, Engine Flush, check G/Box oil. £138

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Quite agree..

But it can go wrong...

Unscrewing the nut can involve the removal of large undertrays some of which would need a ramp of a contortionist... Then there's the pint up the sleeve and the wife complaining about half a gallon on the tarmac or block paving :D

Not all filters are the easy old canister type but all will potentially put another great stain on the drive to keep the first one company.

I've lost count of the ham fisted buggers that overtighten the sump plug... this often leaves stain 3.... I mean does it matter any more ? :ROFLMAO:

Then there's the filling with new oil... How is it possible to get so much over rather than inside the engine ?

But I would still do it myself before letting the mongrels at QF within shouting distance...:LOL:

True story .

Mate had a rather attractive female over the road from him. With much valliance and derring do he offered her and her equally corking friend a hand to change the oil in her car ... I should explain at this point my mates failure to observe both girls were Gay came only second to his mechanical skills.

Under the car he goes armed with spanner and washing up bowl. 5 minutes later several litres of oil were creeping across the tarmac drive,,

But Mark could not for the life of him work out what the oil level on the dipstick failed to drop..... After half an hour he calls me..

I go round and have a look....... Mark had removed a drain plug from the automatic transmission. As it was a sealed for life box it had no way of being re filled without the transmission being removed from the car .....:D2

How we laughed !!!! I think that was the end of Marks non existent chances :ROFLMAO:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
He was referring to main dealer prices not sh-tfix prices, and quoted how can they charge you £80 for labour, your so called local mechanic is going to want £40/50 for his labour and personally I would use the main dealer for the extra £30
However my point was the £80 labour is to cover all there overheads, not bad when you consider a solicitor charges that for a letter and he doesn't even get his hands dirty

But pretty shitty when you realise you can hire the man who designed it for less. And that includes some pretty heavy overheads. A mechanic has say 3 years training, and you think it is good to pay £80 an hour when you can also hire a chartered engineer for less despite his probably 7 years training. Solicitors at least have the decency to charge in 6 minute segments where your mechanic rarely charges in less than 15 minute segments and more often 30 minute chunks. In my opinion a good independent where you can have a proper relationship with real people is fgar betyter value and far better for your vehicle.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It absolutely horrifies me when I hear of that method of getting the dirty oil out. How on earth can the sludge that lies at the bottom of the sump be removed !

I realise one or two cars have only that option but I would never buy one.

3 or 4 years ago I had a great big Yamaha Jet Ski with an 1800cc Supercharged engine. The oil could only be removed by suction and the engine went bang at less than 100 hours use. I stripped that engine myself and the thing was as manky as hell !!! How can new oil fail to be contaminated by the worst bit Left in ?

Blowing an engine in 100 hours would in my opinion for what that is worth be a trifle more than the sludge created by what would be little more than 5000 miles in a car. Even the dreader Pinto engine lasted longer

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Blowing an engine in 100 hours would in my opinion for what that is worth be a trifle more than the sludge created by what would be little more than 5000 miles in a car. Even the dreader Pinto engine lasted longer

A tiny blockage in an oilway or in my case in the charger supply pipe can destroy an engine in very little time indeed !!!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
But pretty shitty when you realise you can hire the man who designed it for less. And that includes some pretty heavy overheads. A mechanic has say 3 years training, and you think it is good to pay £80 an hour when you can also hire a chartered engineer for less despite his probably 7 years training. Solicitors at least have the decency to charge in 6 minute segments where your mechanic rarely charges in less than 15 minute segments and more often 30 minute chunks. In my opinion a good independent where you can have a proper relationship with real people is fgar betyter value and far better for your vehicle.
The £80 is for all the overheads a main dealer has to pay and employs 20/30 people maybe more, my local mechanic pays nothing like that yet still charges £40/50 and employs far less
The solicitors 6 mins cost you about £15/20, nothing against that just pointing it out
You use your local and if the difference is only £30 then I will use the main dealer if not I will also use my local mechanic
Don't get this bullshit argument about who does what training and how many years it takes, a solider, fireman, police all put there lives on the line but get silimiar to a mechanic but no way near a brief or for that matter a footballer

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I can never understand these arguments about how other people earn more with less training/hassle . The people who post them are obviously saying I was so daft I chose an occupation where I would work harder for less money or perhaps I have a chip on my shoulder as I earn less because when I was at school I thought I could earn a decent wage even if I decided to get no qualifications .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I can never understand these arguments about how other people earn more with less training/hassle . The people who post them are obviously saying I was so daft I chose an occupation where I would work harder for less money or perhaps I have a chip on my shoulder as I earn less because when I was at school I thought I could earn a decent wage even if I decided to get no qualifications .

I think the point is as in my case the time serving my apprenticeship was hard and extremely poorly paid. My wages were a quarter of that some of my friends were earning working as labourers and some who worked on the motorways in those days earns far more than that. I worked just as hard for peanuts.

The comparison relevance is that Solicitors for example earn charge a fortune for their services compared to say a builder .... With respect after nearly 40 years in business I do understand overheads.

When I left school at 15 I could barely read or write. My gift was in my hands........ Thankfully !

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Let's not forget the building tradesman.
Not the best paid but he does put a roof over your heads :)

Also the bus/coach driver can have the lives of upto 50 odd people in his hands for around £7 an hour o_O

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The point is the other mans grass is always greener if you think an occupation is well paid and cushy do it yourself or get your kids to do it and stop whingeing!!! If you do a job where the pay is low and someone is making a profit out of you become self employed! If someone does a hard apprenticeship on low pay and their friends earn more as labourers on motorways if you feel hard done to go and do that as well!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back