Anyone got confirmed news Re Fiat Ducato build delays (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I am awaiting a new Adria PVC which should have been here last October but keeps on getting put back on a monthly basis. Now end of June and I don’t believe it will come then if I’m honest. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it finally arrived in 2023!

Trying to get any information of the true delay situation from the manufacturers, let alone information that you can trust to be correct and up to date, I am finding impossible. Nothing on the news for Europe but some in America Re shifts being closed at factories there from 2 to 1 a day, but that is about Stellantis car plants I believe.

The delays all appear to revolve around Stellantis production in Italy at their Sevel plant but still none the wiser as to specifically why. Saying the Pandemic repeatedly does not do it for me now.

I would just like to get some honest understanding of why the monthly delays continue and I think all Fiat based manufacturers are pretty much the same.

I wanted to start this Thread for comments from anyone who has got confirmed news or information, rather than rumours and speculation, although if my experiences are the same as others no one will be able to confidently add an update, but here goes 👍🏻

Regards in advance if anyone can add anything

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Absolutely gutted for you but glad you have another one lined up. In cases like this I really feel the dealers should start to earn their corn and come to an amicable agreement with the manufacturer.
Definitely , for a supposedly trustworthy dealer like Allan Kerr, brokered by Simon Simon Select you would expect a trouble free purchase, not this kind of tactics….🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Now I have got my deposit back from the scum dealer I can tell you the storey so far, a bit long winded.

All started last year at Caravan Salon, I got offered an excellant trade in price for my van far more than I expected by Go European and when we went to confirm it the next day they had run out of allication for the Compactline, unbelievable my best mate had the last one a few hours before.

Roll on to the next chapter, Simon Jones Simon Select at the time sales director of Alan Kerr Mototor homes contacted me and said he might be able to source one.

As you know he turned AK around from a dealer with a poor rep to a well respected dealer. He found out his mate at BC Motorhomes had one allocated and found that we could change the spec also he would match Go European's trade in, so we did the deal.

Simon had kept be informed he even got me a copy of the email from Carthago to BC guaranteeing the price and kept informed to what was going on when delivery when out from August to September then October.

Roll on to July this year just before Simon left AK I had a call from him saying I got some bad and good news, the bad news delivery gone out to Feb next year but the good news is its not been cancelled you will definitely get it

After Simon left AK you could never get hold of anyone no one returned calls, finally Nick one of the salesman rang me back he didn't have a clue.

I spoke to him again on 22nd August asking the state of delivery, he said he would find out and ring me back in an hour, I'm still waking for the call.

Roll forward to last Friday, I called AK again no one avaliable I told the girl your company has gone downhill since Simon left, no one ever returns calls or has a clue what's going on on. She came back with it's much better since Simon left much more organised etc.

10 min later Alan Kerr himself phoned me (that was a first someone ringing back) he layed into me going on about how much better the company is now and really had ago about Simon.

He then said I think your order has been cancelled. I said the last I heard it was not cancelled and definitely coming through.
He struck me as a throughly nasty man.

He rang back ½ hour later saying it has definitely been cancelled. He then said I've tried to call to several times over the last few weeks, lying sod. I had one missed call from AK on the 9th August I called back within 5 min, the girl didn't have any idea who called so I asked to speek to Nick she said she would get him to call me. No call back no surprise there, so about 5 hours later I rang back a different girl answered, I asked for Nick, she said he's on holiday and she had no idea who rang me.

Spoke to Simon he suggested I give his mate at BC a ring he told me he told AK it was cancelled on the 8th Aug.

So no one has bothered to tell me or make any effort bear in mind I spoke to one of their salesmen on the 22nd August and previous to that no one returned calls.

If I had known in August at least I could have gone to Caravan Salon to see what was avaliable.

I have spoken to people people in the industry and Carthago have never been known to cancel an order. Draw your oun conclusions.

Anyone who has got an order with AK, May your God be with you.

They are not the same company they were when Simon was there they treat customers like shit now. I've had better service when spending 10 quid from companies compared to this lot when you are spending over a 100k.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A little confused this end…. you said that BC Motorhomes told Alan Kerr it was cancelled? So is the problem with them? I realise that AK have been poor communicators.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Now I have got my deposit back from the scum dealer I can tell you the storey so far, a bit long winded.

All started last year at Caravan Salon, I got offered an excellant trade in price for my van far more than I expected by Go European and when we went to confirm it the next day they had run out of allication for the Compactline, unbelievable my best mate had the last one a few hours before.

Roll on to the next chapter, Simon Jones Simon Select at the time sales director of Alan Kerr Mototor homes contacted me and said he might be able to source one.

As you know he turned AK around from a dealer with a poor rep to a well respected dealer. He found out his mate at BC Motorhomes had one allocated and found that we could change the spec also he would match Go European's trade in, so we did the deal.

Simon had kept be informed he even got me a copy of the email from Carthago to BC guaranteeing the price and kept informed to what was going on when delivery when out from August to September then October.

Roll on to July this year just before Simon left AK I had a call from him saying I got some bad and good news, the bad news delivery gone out to Feb next year but the good news is its not been cancelled you will definitely get it

After Simon left AK you could never get hold of anyone no one returned calls, finally Nick one of the salesman rang me back he didn't have a clue.

I spoke to him again on 22nd August asking the state of delivery, he said he would find out and ring me back in an hour, I'm still waking for the call.

Roll forward to last Friday, I called AK again no one avaliable I told the girl your company has gone downhill since Simon left, no one ever returns calls or has a clue what's going on on. She came back with it's much better since Simon left much more organised etc.

10 min later Alan Kerr himself phoned me (that was a first someone ringing back) he layed into me going on about how much better the company is now and really had ago about Simon.

He then said I think your order has been cancelled. I said the last I heard it was not cancelled and definitely coming through.

He rang back ½ hour later saying it has definitely been cancelled. He then said I've tried to call to several times over the last few weeks, lying sod. I had one missed call from AK on the 9th August I called back within 5 min, the girl didn't have any idea who called so I asked to speek to Nick she said she would get him to call me. No call back no surprise there, so about 5 hours later I rang back a different girl answered, I asked for Nick, she said he's on holiday and she had no idea who rang me.

Spoke to Simon he suggested I give his mate at BC a ring he told me he told AK it was cancelled on the 8th Aug.

So no one has bothered to tell me or make any effort bear in mind I spoke to one of their salesmen on the 22nd August and previous to that no one returned calls.

If I had known in August at least I could have gone to Caravan Salon to see what was avaliable.

I have spoken to people people in the industry and Carthago have never been known to cancel an order. Draw your oun conclusions.

They are not the same company they were when Simon was there they treat customers like shit now. I've had better service when spending 10 quid from companies compared to this lot when you are spending over a 100k.
Unbelievable, another one for the black list , they should be liable for all your losses👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A little confused this end…. you said that BC Motorhomes told Alan Kerr it was cancelled? So is the problem with them? I realise that AK have been poor communicators.
My thoughts are AK asked BC to cancel as they didn't like the deal Simon set up as they were only getting half the profit.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
My thoughts are AK asked BC to cancel as they didn't like the deal Simon set up as they were only getting half the profit.
😡😡😡, have you tried to contact the manufacturer directly? ? I speak German if it’s needed ( reluctantly lol 😆😆😆)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
😡😡😡, have you tried to contact the manufacturer directly? ? I speak German if it’s needed ( reluctantly lol 😆😆😆)
Problem is they will just refer you back to the dealer and as the deal was done through a company that was not one of their franchises it would probably be a waste of time.

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Lenny Im really sorry to hear whats happened I cant imagine how dissapointed you must be. We was looking for a T149 last year and found that BC had one on order and that we could change spec which we did, we ordered the van in november last year ( on a Mercedes chassis ) it was meant to arrive in May we collected it in July but we were fine with that and they gave us a good PX value so all went well. I would be inclined to phone John Frew there and have a chat with him, he is a decent chap.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny Im really sorry to hear whats happened I cant imagine how dissapointed you must be. We was looking for a T149 last year and found that BC had one on order and that we could change spec which we did, we ordered the van in november last year ( on a Mercedes chassis ) it was meant to arrive in May we collected it in July but we were fine with that and they gave us a good PX value so all went well. I would be inclined to phone John Frew there and have a chat with him, he is a decent chap.

Best of luck.
Already spoken to him.

Upvote 0

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Passed a loader today on its way out of Dover on the A2. Two brand new Burstners on the back if anyone is waiting🤞

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The mischief maker in me says we should all show interest in vans AK are selling and then back out saying we had 2nd thoughts after hearing about their reputation 😉
Please do it wold make my day.
AK or any the staff there don't do any social media it was only Simon.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996

Must have missed this the other day. Blimey, you really have been put through the mincer, Lenny. Hopefully it will all turn out good in the end, no one needs to be treated like you have.

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
It seems a bit like the Wild West out there and makes me think I will hang on to our Burstner and not bother changing and upgrading as planned. All these cowboys should apply for jobs on the final series of Yellowstone maybe.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg

For what its worth we purchased through Simon last year and everyone else was a waste of space, even on the day of collection our MH had the wrong number plate fitted and if you remember V5 MAM was filled in wrong too. Simon is not the only one to of left, Tbh think a lot of dealers are getting greedy with pre ordered in MH sales and van sales. On plus side their so called technicians wont get their hands on your carthago. Trust me I can show some of their work on ours but thats not what this is all about !!!

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Problem is they will just refer you back to the dealer and as the deal was done through a company that was not one of their franchises it would probably be a waste of time.
I seem to remember a conversation you, Dave and I had at Stratford on Avon as to wether this deal would would be honoured
back in June and am sorry to say I was right unfortunately,
but gives me No pleasure in saying this, But you owe me a pint as that was the bet.
I do hope you find another van for a similar deal.👍

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It’s strange, surely one man alone can’t make a sh1t dealer into a good dealer.

If AK himself is poor and most of the staff are then one good player in football team for instance will still be a crap team if all the team around him are rubbish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It’s strange, surely one man alone can’t make a sh1t dealer into a good dealer.

If AK himself is poor and most of the staff are then one good player in football team for instance will be a crap team if all the team around him are rubbish.
It wasn't just one it was 3 of them who are now Select Motorhomes.
They had a poor name before Simon & Naterly joined them not sure where Bob came from.
They turned it around made them the biggest Bailey dealer in the country & took on a several new franchises including Malibu.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I seem to remember a conversation you, Dave and I had at Stratford on Avon as to wether this deal would would be honoured
back in June and am sorry to say I was right unfortunately,
but gives me No pleasure in saying this, But you owe me a pint as that was the bet.
I do hope you find another van for a similar deal.👍
Yeah remember it well get the pints in Lenny 🍻

Still trying to find the truth but I think I've been stiched up.

Anyway I've found another van:-

A customer cancelled the order but the dealer kept the order live as it had price protection, it's Carthago's largest dealer so there shouldn't be any problems. Due next March so it will be a 2024 model at 2022 prices.

I've been able to make converter changes but not to the chassis as that has been locked into the system.
So it means it's RHD not very keen on that but don't want to wait another Year to 18 months for a van and by that time it will cost a lot more & my van will be worth a lot less.
It's also on the light chassis but the dealer will register it at 3850kg and it's possible to go to 4000 with air.
As for other chassis bit's I can't change, Fiat 10" infotainment system with electronic dash (not keen on that and it's £2½k)
Central locking (pointless when you only use one door, another £400),.
Rear corner steadies (something that will never be used another £385),
Alloy wheels (wouldn't order myself but look pretty, another £775),
Heavy duty front springs (£540).
Can't add front fog lights but I'm sure I can sort something out myself, need something with the diabolical headlights.

On the hab side decided to keep the Media package, TV, & cabinet + reversing camera & monitor, it's nearly £2k didn't have on the original I ordered.
Without it I would have to pay £650 for the cabinet and there are only a coulple of TV's that may fit & may not be able to wire a reversing camera into the Fiat unit so would probably only save 500 to 600 and give myself a lot of grief (I must be getting old).

Keeping the dropdown bed, saves £575 and I've had nothing but ear bending from 'er indoors since I ordered cupboards instead on the other one.

The only thing I can't change on the hab side is the electric option on the Truma Combi it's standard on RHD but you have to pay £645 for it, we have only ever had gas heating which suits us fine.

Reduced the rest of the spec to save cost & get rid of things we didn't want:

Got rid of the Oven & Grill, don't like where or how it's fitted. £950.
Garage upgrade, needle felt & net pockets. £305
Socket upgrade. £430 for 3 mains sockets & 2 USB.
Gas bottle pull out system. £570, my 14kg Alugas won't fit with that.
World of sleeping. £360 for fitted sheets and a couple of cushions.
Carpets. £495.
TV connection to rear bed area £300.

Changed the upholstery for a slightly better one & only got charged the 2022 price.

Although a year on and we are now getting less for our trade in, if we don't have full air and just fit semi-air on the rear our cost to change will only be a couple of k more. (Still working on her for full air).

Compactline's are as rare as rocking horse shit as they can only build them on the Fiat. Scoured Germany only a few new ones for sale and most were either manual or 140hp engine, only suitable one was speced to the hilt and would have been 8k more.
Seems a big compromise/ backwards step Lenny going for RHD and a big no no for me would be the light chassis on a A class will really struggle for weight but if it's what you want hope it works for you but spending that much dosh I would be having exactly what I wanted.

Upvote 1

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Wasn't there a post on here recently to do with this dealer? certainly won't be getting my trade and i am sure there will be a lot of others in the same mind set. This day and age there is no excuse for not calling someone back when promised and it's one of my bug bears that a lot of companies do this just to get you off the phone.
Would be interested to see what their responses are to this but i guess they are keeping quiet as not seen any.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It wasn't just one it was 3 of them who are now Select Motorhomes.
They had a poor name before Simon & Naterly joined them not sure where Bob came from.
They turned it around made them the biggest Bailey dealer in the country & took on a several new franchises including Malibu.
I would have thought the fact Simon did the deal with you he could have rang his pal at BC and took the deal with him just to complete the deal at the agreed price ? Everybody happy🙂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back