Anyone else have an Orange Livebox? (1 Viewer)

S

stubon

Deleted User
Hi Lindy c
Nothing else i can suggest except phone orange tomorrow you should get someone fron England to help you.

stubon

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks for your efforts Stubon :Smile:

I have only ever once managed to get through to an English call centre - funnily enough they managed to fix a problem first time that their Indian counterparts had failed to rectify so I can live in hope :roflmto:

I shall just have to spend the rest of the evening fending the kids off :ROFLMAO:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Lynda. Surely somewhere in Moreton in the marsh area you have one of those men who do. Computer expert i mean. We have a couple round here who after all else has failed will come in, fiddle a bit with a few settings or whatever and Bingo it works. Probably charge you 40 quid an hour but it saves tearing your hair out. It sounds very much like a problem we had recently with our wireless connection, the hard wired pc indoors was fine but we had a loose cable in the lead on the back of our netgear wireless thingy. It took us ages to find it but the man who does put a new plug on the lead and its been fine ever since, a simple little thing like that causes oodles of grief, good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, I haven't read through the whole thread as I've been out most of the day, but I have friends locally with an Orange Livebox that I set up for them - it DOES have a spare / second ethernet port with which you could cobble the lappy to the livebox, sparing you the fight for the pc / killing the kids until the wifi can be sorted. If I was closer to Moreton I'd be round in a jiffy to help - the Liveboxes are just rather esoteric routers and their wifi contacts can be a bit iffy. Ethernet cables are available on ebay for a few pounds for any length you can imagine - up to 20m or longer!!!

PM if you need more help re this , happy to try to resolve it for you.

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Cheers Laurie

I shall try and speak to someone in England in the morning and failing that will give you a holler.

Its crazy, one minute it was working next it wasn't.
I can't help thinking it was something to do with the nasties I sent to the virus vault - I read somewhere that System Restore doesn't like malware, and that won't work either :Doh:

Flippin computers.....can't live with or without them :shout:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Update

Well I called Orange again and, although still speaking to Bangladesh, the operator inspired a smidgin more confidence than the last one :Smile:

It would appear that they are getting a great many calls from people with similar problems to mine, this has happened since a recent online update to the livebox.

I am going to receive a replacement installation disc (mine doesn't work) and they are also passing my complaint to their technical engineers so we'll see if anything happens in the next couple of days........watch this space :RollEyes:

Still doesn't solve my "system restore" problem though :Doh: :cry:

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Lindy,

The live box is a right pain to set up with wireless in any case but, i would say if the dongle was getting a signal say last Friday, then just do a system restore on your laptop.

i don't know if your using Vista or Win XP. this first instruction is for restoring XP

click start\all programs\ Accessories\ system tools\ system restore. pick a date before the problem and let it go back to that date when it re-starts it should work as it was.

With Vista, just type in the search sys restore and it will bring it up on the screen for you, choose the type of restore you want, then let it do its thing.

If you need pm me and i will help you out!

Patrick

The Inventel wireless widget on my lappy has suddenly decided it doesn't want to talk to the livebox any more so I am down to one computer with internet access......its causing mayhem as the kids can't get on their favourite sites unless I vacate my seat at the PC (which I daren't as I'll never get it back :Doh: )

I spent half an hour on the phone last night to the Orange "helpdesk" in Bangladesh - fat lot of good that did......it still ain't working and I have gone through their website and tried all sorts but to no avail :helpsos:
I have even tried reloading the cd and that won't work either......I get as far as the first screen, click proceed and it freezes :shout:

Any ideas? :Blush:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Lindy,

The live box is a right pain to set up with wireless in any case but, i would say if the dongle was getting a signal say last Friday, then just do a system restore on your laptop.

i don't know if your using Vista or Win XP. this first instruction is for restoring XP

click start\all programs\ Accessories\ system tools\ system restore. pick a date before the problem and let it go back to that date when it re-starts it should work as it was.

With Vista, just type in the search sys restore and it will bring it up on the screen for you, choose the type of restore you want, then let it do its thing.

If you need pm me and i will help you out!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick :Smile:

I tried that but System Restore won't work either....I have tried several dates and even tried in safe mode.........zilch :shout:

I am using XP.

I shall wait and see what happens when the new CD arrives from Orange, if that doesn't work then I shall holler again :RollEyes:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi again Linda,

As the Livebox is managing a wired internet connection, why don't you just connect the lappy via the second ehternet port and a loooong ethernet cable - that way you can keep the kids reasonably happy and have two internet-able pcs - always a good back up to have a cable tucked away anyway, just in case wireless for whatever reason packs up. Costs very little, as well.

And you can then wait in relative peace for Orange to send out new CDs etc etc. and sort out the wireless connection. Like I said, wish I was closer, I'm sure it can be sorted quickly hands on!!!:Eeek:

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Laurie

I am very tempted to get on Ebay and do just that......the kids (and JC) are driving me potty :roflmto:

I wish you were closer too.....I might just get some sensible conversation! :ROFLMAO:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, for around a tenner it just has to be worth it!!! All the angst of a fretting JC and the kids trying to snatch your pc everytime you move must be frazzling - personally, I think I'd buy a looooong ethernet cable to get them out your hair until the wireless wizard wakes up again!!:ROFLMAO:

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Is this the jobbie? :Blush:
Link Removed

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks! ::bigsmile:

Bought and paid for.....you watch, I'll get the CD tomorrow and fix it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Check your Livebox quickly Linda, just to make sure it has an extra ethernet port - the ones I've seen all have an extra port. Should be a simple affair of plugging the cable into Livebox, plugging it into lappy and whoopee Internet!!! Obviously your firewall will have to be configured accordingly to allow the connection, but that's no big problem. Solves things while the rest goes via Bangladesh a few times at least :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Yup....two ports, present and correct :thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, its always worth having a spare, longish ethernet cable, trust me!! Wireless connections have a way of sulking from time to time. Just like yours is at present. It's my old Girl Guide training I think - always prepared for anything!! I have just about every connector and adaptor for computers, even legacy stuff. And it DOES get used :Smile:

Of course, Murphy may be visitng you instead of me and arrange quick delivery of the CD which will install seamlessly and repair your problem instantly. But he wouldn't have if you didn't invest in a second cable ::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:

Laurie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'm no expert linda but just possibly one of the viruses was covered in grease and slipped through the catcher.:cry:

i know how frustrating it is to lose wireless.

installed a new wifi card today.....problem gone.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Linda had a live Orange box.
And Killed it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Latest news

Well I haven't got my cable yet but I did receive a replacement CD.

Loaded it into lappy and it took me through the installation procedure.......still no wireless connection! :shout:

Called Bangladesh YET again and this time was told that the fault lies with a recent update from AVG which has b*ggered up everyone's connection using the Inventel adapter..........anyone else have AVG antivirus and an Inventel gizmo?

I await the arrival of the long cable and ponder whether to un-install AVG and find another free anti-virus or just stuff the whole ruddy lot in the oil drum and set fire to it :cry:

To top it all......JC is kicking me off the PC now as he wants to use it! :Angry:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Orange Internet

Hi

Interesting Post, I had similar problem recent INCLUDING the loss of "system restore". I have seen post on an XP website (NOT Microsoft) that adding to OR changing/upgrading MAJOR parts of the computer eg hard drives, memory, Processor, (all of which I have done) Causes windows to believe that you are using a "pirate" copy of windows, because it cannot "see" the original "setup" the upshot is that you cannot use "restore" OR obtain updates, without a "fix" from microsoft for which W.G. (Mr Gates) requires "money".

I (fortunately) had the original disk (XP) and having fitted a new (additional, larger) hard drive, set that drive as primary, loaded a complete NEW copy of XP. which was accepted as a NEW system, I now have access to restore etc and a full complement of updates. as well as a MUCH faster machine!!. Renamed the OLD drive and still can access its data. "windows" is a pretty "c---p" O/s but the alternative(s) are?????.

Hope you solve YOUR problem soon, best before the kids come on summer holls!!!!

pete

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, you could try uninstalling AVG but before you do that, make sure you download a different antivirus proggie (I use Avira but there are numerous others free out there), ready to install it AFTER uninstalling AVG. After D/L a new proggie, disconnect from the internet by unplugging the ethernet cable to the Livebox and uninstall AVG from the Add/ Remove Programs tab in Control Panel. After uninstalling it, reboot the computer (remember to keep it OFF THE INTERNET at this stage. ) Then install the new antivirus prog and check all your firewall settings etc to ensure that the new prog is allowed to access updates etc, Then reconnect to the internet.

Try your wireless adapter again. :Sad:

New cable should be with you tomorrow hopefully???:Cool:

If the Inventel wireless card just won't work in the end, I have another plan up my sleeve........but lets see how it goes!!

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi

Interesting Post, I had similar problem recent INCLUDING the loss of "system restore". I have seen post on an XP website (NOT Microsoft) that adding to OR changing/upgrading MAJOR parts of the computer eg hard drives, memory, Processor, (all of which I have done) Causes windows to believe that you are using a "pirate" copy of windows, because it cannot "see" the original "setup" the upshot is that you cannot use "restore" OR obtain updates, without a "fix" from microsoft for which W.G. (Mr Gates) requires "money".

I (fortunately) had the original disk (XP) and having fitted a new (additional, larger) hard drive, set that drive as primary, loaded a complete NEW copy of XP. which was accepted as a NEW system, I now have access to restore etc and a full complement of updates. as well as a MUCH faster machine!!. Renamed the OLD drive and still can access its data. "windows" is a pretty "c---p" O/s but the alternative(s) are?????.

Hope you solve YOUR problem soon, best before the kids come on summer holls!!!!

pete

Never mind the summer hols :roflmto: I haven't been able to get near the PC tonight what with pre-arranged meetings with schoolfriends on "Club Penguin" and JC's "I gotta do this NOW (trawling sites for obscure VW tools etc) :Doh:

Reloading XP? A bit beyond my meagre knowledge......I can just about manage posting on here :ROFLMAO:

If the Inventel wireless card just won't work in the end, I have another plan up my sleeve........but lets see how it goes!!

Laurie

So have I Laurie.......it involves a gallon of four star and a box of matches! :ROFLMAO:

S

stubon

Deleted User
Hi Lindy
h
Has your laptop got a built in wireless conection if yes have you tried to set it up
that is what i use,dont use the gadget i got from orange

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Stubon

It does....but I couldn't get that to work either :cry:

I also have a spare Belkin jobbie somewhere that Dell sold me when I bought the PC....I had planned to put it on Ebay but it never happened.......Its now buried in a cupboard somewhere and I need to find it, that is next on the agenda prior to the ceremonial burning of the lappy ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Never mind the summer hols :roflmto: I haven't been able to get near the PC tonight what with pre-arranged meetings with schoolfriends on "Club Penguin" and JC's "I gotta do this NOW (trawling sites for obscure VW tools etc) :Doh:

Reloading XP? A bit beyond my meagre knowledge......I can just about manage posting on here :ROFLMAO:

So have I Laurie.......it involves a gallon of four star and a box of matches! :ROFLMAO:
Linda,
Considering the price of fuel, would it not be cheaper to replace the lap top:thumb:
GeoXX

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, I've just had another of those great ideas :ROFLMAO:(seriously) - why not invest in one of the mobile internet dongle thingies? Then you could also use it when you're out and about at shows and on campsites. Installation is a doddle - will help you with it no problem.

I know it doesn't solve the actual wireless conundrum, but until that can be solved, the long ethernet wire you've got on order and / or mobile internet could provide a perfect get-out-of-jail clause. Why, it's even a perfectly allowable business expense and at £7.50 or so a month at least it keeps a bit of tax from flowing into revenue's coffers!!!:ROFLMAO:

Laurie (full of bright ideas today!)

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The good news is I finally got the cable today and the lappy is finally back online...........the bad news is, I can't get near it to do anything with it :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back