Any walkers using a handheld satnav? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
we like going walking now we are retired and thinking of getting a "handheld satnav" Garmin etc so we dont get lost as much..Has anyone recomendations ?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I use the garmin etrex. Bit dated now and very simple, but It suites me and of much cheapness now as well.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
I use OS mapfinder app on my phone, absolutely brilliant, always tracks you on an OS map, buy maps from the os at £1.99 each, which you use on your phone. Don't need a phone signal, quite often I'm out of signal in New Forest. I like to walk for miles Screenshot_20170827-191733.png Screenshot_20170827-191711.png without worrying about following a track.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Garmin GPSx64Map + software to create and record routes.
I've used Memory-Map for years but now about to dump it because it's so unstable on my Mac, even though I've invested heavily on maps for it.

JSW

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
PVC
I use Backcountry Navigator Pro on my Android phone. Uses OS maps which can be downloaded for use when there is no phone signal. It works very well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got a Satmap as well. I bought it for the large screen so I could see it easily when it was mounted on the handlebars when cycling. But they are expensive and their maps even more so.

I would probably go for a Garmin etrex 30 now.

But if you just want access to OS maps in the UK then the phone apps mentioned will do the job. What I don't know is if you can pre-plan routes and load them as a gpx file as you can with traditional GPS or load POI files such as geocache points.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
I can load gpx files on the OS mapfinder, not that I'm any good at things like that!! You can also save routes, I'm not very technicalo_O, but it's quite easy to use. It also gives you your long/lat on your location, (incase I need assistance:eek:)

Reactions: DBK

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I use the alpinequest app on an old android phone (galaxy note with a 5.5 inch screen and an extended battery), works very well (y)

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I use a Megallen 610 handheld gps which is also good for geocaching which I enjoy ..has camera, video etc and easy to use

Kath

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I think a lot depends on your navigation skills, if you can work from just knowing your position and then using the map then a pretty basic one should do. These days with no SA and a competitive market accuracy is good is almost all sets. I used to sail with what is now a very basic handheld and had no problems and would have used it for hill walking in conjunction with maps. The more expensive units with built in mapping are great though some maps are better than others so worth checking just what source is used for the maps. Always make sure your GPS is using the same datum as positions can vary noticeably between datum systems. It is also worth trying different units out because menu systems can vary a lot as can data entry methods and if it doesn't suit you it can be a pain, and on the hills possibly dangerous

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Maps.me on the phone its free works offline and shows paths. If you get a phone app its one less thing to cart around and you won't forget it as its free give it a try first and save the cash!!

Reactions: SMB

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I use OS mapfinder app on my phone, absolutely brilliant, always tracks you on an OS map, buy maps from the os at £1.99 each, which you use on your phone.
No longer being supported or updated :(.
Their new app is apparently incompatible with the old one meaning you can't port your old purchased maps from one App to another (n).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a Satmap expensive but well worth it, I have full UK, France & Greece maps.

Maps.me is OK for a stroll in the country but no good for serious walking doesn't have the detail or accuracy of the something like satmaps maps & battery life on smart phones can be a problem.

I use Maps.me a lot but I wouldn't use to walk a few thousand feet up a mountain in an area I'm unfamiliar with.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I walk a lot with the Ramblers and other walking groups, I use a Garmin Etrex 20X with various maps according to the circumstances. I also have the OS app on my phone, but the Garmin is better for viewing in sunlight and battery life is much better, plus loading additional (free or paid) maps is easy.

I bought two for a trip that never happened. I use one regularly but the other has never been out of the Amazon packaging that it arrived in and it is for sale if anyone fancies this model.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mainly use maps.me, OSMAnd app also very good but maps.me point handling much better.

Also have OSMaps app you can buy an annual Premium subscription with Tesco vouchers, gives access to OS stuff, but rarely use other than to check maps.me

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Garmin GPSx64Map + software to create and record routes.
I've used Memory-Map for years but now about to dump it because it's so unstable on my Mac, even though I've invested heavily on maps for it.
+1 for Garmin GPSMap64s.
I've gone os 1:25k maps for a couple of areas and 1:50k national coverage but the open mapping is easier to read at different scales as it is vector based rather than raster.

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Have Satmap which I use walking and cycling in UK and abroad.Excellent but not the best in sunny weather. As has been said they are very expensive as are extra maps which you buy on SD cards but maps for lots of countries available. The unit has lots of buttons and a mini joystick and I think is rather complex more suited to an enthusiast I sometimes get confused if I haven't used it for awhile. The manual is 113 pages! You can download from Satmap site and it will give a good idea as to whether it suits.

I use also the OS app which costs approx £24 per year for Premium which allows me to download whatever I want in 1:50000 and 1:25000 on my phone tablet laptop desktop etc. Works very well and I can print off any map areas I want as a hard copy. My phone also has a much bigger screen and also much brighter. Whatever you decide on be it Garmin Satmap or other devices providing you can hold it comfortably and it is reasonably waterproof get the biggest screen possible.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
+1 for Garmin GPSMap64s.
I've gone os 1:25k maps for a couple of areas and 1:50k national coverage but the open mapping is easier to read at different scales as it is vector based rather than raster.
Open mapping isa lot cheaper, of course, but I like the detail in OS maps.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Open mapping isa lot cheaper, of course, but I like the detail in OS maps.
I have both the OS and open mapping and I actually prefer the Open mapping for a lot of uses. it's horses for courses...

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Vector maps are good for handhelds with small screens, and you can remove detail if there's too much, whereas raster (OS) maps you get the same detail at every level of zoom. For Explorer maps you need a large screen, not a postage stamp.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I walk a lot with the Ramblers and other walking groups, I use a Garmin Etrex 20X with various maps according to the circumstances. I also have the OS app on my phone, but the Garmin is better for viewing in sunlight and battery life is much better, plus loading additional (free or paid) maps is easy.

I bought two for a trip that never happened. I use one regularly but the other has never been out of the Amazon packaging that it arrived in and it is for sale if anyone fancies this model.

I've tried several 'smart' phones but found them all pretty useless out in the wild. Too difficult to read the screen in sunlight and poor battery life. It should be little surprise that a purpose-built device (which might cost more than a phone) should do the job better.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
viewranger on phone or tablet. No use using a normal satnav as the batteries don't last.

I agree. I use Viewranger on an Android phone for walking, cycling and inland boating. Cheap way of accessing proper OS maps. Worked well for someone like me migrating from the traditional OS paper maps. I also transferred the app to a new phone when it died, so you are not stuck with old /failing hardware. Android phones with decent screens are pretty affordable these days. Viewranger doesn't need a connection by the way -- the maps are downloaded to the phone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back