Any fellow single full-time solo's out there? (1 Viewer)

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Been on here a few days now and must say it's been great ?.

I was wondering how many others on here are similar to me as see lots of couples. Are there any single full time solo motorhomer's? If so how long have you done it? Do you ever get or feel lonely? What sort of work do you etc?

Would be good to hear about your experiences and how you find and cope with the lifestyle.?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all,

Been on here a few days now and must say it's been great ?.

I was wondering how many others on here are similar to me as see lots of couples. Are there any single full time solo motorhomer's? If so how long have you done it? Do you ever get or feel lonely? What sort of work do you etc?

Would be good to hear about your experiences and how you find and cope with the lifestyle.?

I have been fulltiming for coming up on 11 years. Single for 20 years with a very brief relationship 9 years ago. I work in computers from the van so spend pretty much all day/night on my own all the time. Never get lonely. I am just that personality type who can entertain themselves without requiring company.

Although I do occasionally enjoy a good piss up in company :D

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Gromett I'm pleased to hear you have managed the lifestyle pretty well for so long. I am very new to this full time motorhome living and although I am enjoying the freedom I do find it difficult at times as was so used to living with my wife and son until fairly recently.

I think for me it's about adapting I guess.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
ianthebuilder ...thanks Ian I am getting that impression yes it really is like a family community on here. I think just being so new to the way of living is a little bit of a struggle for me but I am getting there ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think for me it's about adapting I guess
Good luck with that. Fulltiming is not for everyone. Give it a fair crack and you might be surprised.

Also, if you are happier in a relationship... Then fulltiming actually gives you a bigger pool to fish from. You can move around a lot more and meet more people and increase your chances of meeting someone new.

It is what you make of it. I have made it a place of unstressed solitude where I can just get on and do whatever I want, whenever I want with zero hassle, commitment or planning. It works for me :)

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Viennese ..thanks I have felt very welcomed here it some lovely people.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Gromett

Yes I think your right and I wouldn't say I am happier in a relationship but if someone special comes along I certainly wouldn't pass up on the companionship.

Some single time out is key for my at the moment though made mistakes in my past which I will be judged for but I am on the path to redemption ?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Rusty Pumper thanks it certainly is an amazing place I have used many forums before for many different things and I don't think I've come across more support ever.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you get the chance read Tams blog. Hes just returned after almost a year away fulltiming .

Also a lot of good reading here from Ians trip.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
irnbru hey thanks I'll have a read of these ? I'd like to venture out of the UK once I have my confidence a little higher and more used to the motorhome as only had it a few months..

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm another one who is full timing, and making a bit through computers and the internet.

The things that I thought would be a problem, aren't. But I'm starting to find some new things that are creating difficulties. I've had a rat in the on on a couple of occasions, and now I sometimes I wake up and think there is one in the van. Once the weather is a bit better, I'll go over over the whole van , and improve the sealing. Another thing is noise. I spend a lot of time in urban environments, and kids, sporty car exhausts, and thumpy and bad music are starting to get to me. I was going to add a porthole to the back of the van, but I'm going to keep it as a dark area, and rely on the side windows further forward for light. I could hang a dark curtain to keep things really dark.

I need to become more self-sufficient with more solar, and options for charging leisure batteries as well.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wild Brambles sounds a plan to me why do you stay more urban Is it purely because you don't have the right set up yet for going more off grid? I stay fairly rural most of the time as don't like the noise etc but I have 2 big leisure batteries and 240w of solar which get me through what I need.

Nov 29, 2019
Hume, Scottish Borders, Kelso, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Amethyst
Exp
Since Feb 29th 2020
As long as you don’t entertain yourself in company ?
Get a dog. Here is a pic of Nigel.

Attachments

• 32DDBB27-775D-4CF1-824F-9ABCF67773E3.jpeg
    32DDBB27-775D-4CF1-824F-9ABCF67773E3.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 56

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Dan

I am not fulltime as I have bricks and mortar but I am solo. I work away from home, staying in the van all week. I reckon to be at home for about 2 weekends a month!
I spent all last winter in Spain. Travelling in company with 2 other like minded motorhomers.

I am happy in my own company but also like travelling around meeting friends.
Most of whom I have met through this lifestyle. Rallies and fun meets provide company and support.

Been doing this since 2011, and on my own for 4 years.and it really suits me.

But it isn't for everyone especially when wet and cold.

MHF is my community even though I don't post very often.

Best wishes. I hope that you manage to adapt and enjoy the experience but if not at least you have given it a go.

Karen

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
MaidinDevon hey thanks for the post it's nice to hear from you. I use my parents house as an address and do pop and see them and have the odd weekend there at least once a month so guess not do did similar to you karen. I plan to attend some meets and rallies in the new year so hopefully will get to meet alot of the people off here ?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Digitalimager hi thanks for the message I have considered a dog as I do love them the dog in my avatar was my late Labrador barkley who I miss alot. It is certainly something I'm going to think about. Your dog is beautiful and in sure an amazing companion

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Steviewheels haha you sound like your more than ok with your own company then ? that's very much a good thing and it is something I struggle with as do like being around people.

Apr 7, 2018
Mostly Sussex and Hampshire
Funster No
Exp
I guess I qualify as a newbie.
I had been full-timing solo for only a few months when my 90-year-old mother had a fall in March 2019 and I moved back to her home address to care for her and now what keeps me going, through very testing and tiring times, is the dream of being out on the road again...

Check this out: -
https://www.mohosolo.com/
Due to my circumstances, although I joined, I haven't had a chance to do anything at all - my time is not my own from 6:30 until c. 20:00 and by then, I'm cream-crackered and can just about cook myself a meal and get to bed - usually in my clothes!

You might also like to check out this forum: - https://www.motorhome365.com/forum/

I think it's also good to have membership of the "Motorhome and Caravanning Club" and the "Camping and Caravanning Club" -

And I presume you already have some kind of mobile wifi, but if not, I would say that's a great help to keep in touch with whomever/whatever you want/need to via the WWW.

I've been out of the MoHo loop since March and have only checked in here once or twice since then but if I won enough on the lottery to buy myself a huge mansion on my own country estate, I would do so but it would actually only be to have the luxury of my own exclusive parking space out of the matrix (no height restrictions on car parks OPEN TO THE SKY! How bl**d* ludicrous is that?!?!)

Oh, my gosh, I think I've gone in to a rant!

Don't wish to hasten my mmothers demise but I am looking forward to getting out there again and meeting more wonderful people and being close to nature. Life is what you make it and as far as I can see, living in a MoHo is THE BEST!!!! You can keep bricks and mortar and the dreaded mortgage (deathgrip)...

So my dear friend, Dantheman, take courage and make what you want of it... with all the forums and relevant clubs, you will find your way to happiness, for sure.

There is something to suit everybody - if you want to stay at home on your own, nobody will hassle you to come out to play but if you want to play with others, just put your wishes out there and somebody will answer...

All is well... Enjoy!

And I thank you for your honesty and open-ness and that's what makes this forum such a great resource - no fluff!

Stay well and season's greetings!

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
I live in Australia and bought a Hymer in the UK. Did 4.5 months in the northern summer in the UK & France. I found the UK difficult. France is better. Just more facilities for motorhomes whereas the attitude in the UK seems to be NIMBY (not in my back yard).

Like others the insecurity and exposure to noise and harassment got to me a bit. People tooting the horn driving past, yobs being noisy nearby and sodding doggers even! Best places were remote & isolated places most people deport go to so they don't bother you and you don't annoy them.

It can get quite lonely and if in another country not speaking your language for long periods can be hard. I find I watch a lot of TV which can be very nice - takes your mind off the situation you're in. I thought I'd be able to stream, but data limits constrained that even though I had a 50Gb plan. I think it might have been my TomTom getting live data that used so much. So luckily I had thought to put a lot of movies and shows on a hard drive at home which was a life saver.

House sitting can be a good break from motor homing too. I plan to try to do more of that next year.

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
AlisonEM ...I am sorry to hear about your poor mum and the fact you have sacrificed your motorhoming for her but it was certainly the right thing to do.

Thank you for the links certainly the first link will be of interest to me. I believe in complete and total honestly and I have learnt a great deal about my self and others over the last few months. I hope when the time comes I will get to see you out on the road in your motorhome again?

OP
OP
Dantheman

Dantheman

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson I'm.
Exp
I'm a newbie
wfdTamar ..hey thanks for your message sorry to hear the UK wasn't to welcoming to you. I haven't really had an issues yet but I'm only a few months into it.

France does sound good and i plan to go there anyway to look at the antiques fairs in the late spring early summer.

Anyway I hope life in Australia is treating you well my friend .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back