Another lithium battery question (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You only need as much as you might possibly use, any more is just showing off:LOL: without our extra one I might have been thinking about the gas kettle by the end of a “iffy sun” week but we were fine actually, a week in winter with grey skies will be the test.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ah but can you watch your G-shock working? Or your Submariner for that matter :LOL:

6FF609DF-BEA8-4A6E-8048-27A3E1C17C17.jpeg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
We have 400ah, and at this capacity you can cook on electric off grid with no problems. The best bonus is, when you have plenty, you can relax the settings not to charge to full ever, and not to go into shallow discharge. That will prolong the long life of the batteries into thousands of cycles, well above 10 years life.

OP
OP
Largejj
Aug 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 679
Exp
Sorry this is in another thread also but by way of an update

I’ve installed 4 x 100amp lithium batteries. Really pleased with performance so far. I can really use the inverter much more for kettle and air con - before only used it for hair dryer and straighteners (not for me)

Boiling the kettle takes about 1-2 % off battery state of charge and I can run the air con (1kw) when the solar is at about 300w + for a few hours when it’s really hot and only use 10-15 %.

Next project is perhaps to see if I can get the 3 way fridge to auto switch to 12v when the solar is good and battery near full. I know it lasts for ages off gas but when the batteries are full and it’s sunny would be good to be able to use the free power for some use.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Next project is perhaps to see if I can get the 3 way fridge to auto switch to 12v when the solar is good and battery near full. I know it lasts for ages off gas but when the batteries are full and it’s sunny would be good to be able to use the free power for some use.
I've recently done this with my AES fridge and Votronic 350. Currently I only have 160w of solar but plan to double it. With 160w it works fine but doesn't come on that frequently but I anticipate that with 320w it will be good in summer. It's simply :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: a question of running a wire from Votronic to fridge.

If the AES stopped working I can see the advantage of a compressor fridge with solar and lithium.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The problem with that is the 15 x minute delay (on AES models) before firing up on another power source, ie, if the sun clouds over a couple of times in an hour, you could end up with at least 30 x minutes of no power to the fridge/freezer. If that happens several times a day, and you need to keep the f/f at certain temperatures for meds, you might be struggling.
I have disconnected the AES connection from the solar controller for that very reason.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
It amazes me that people get the whole power equation completely wrong.... its not the batteries themselves that is the limiting factor...its harnessing the power in the first place to put in to those batteries... all a battery whatever its design and construction is, is a store to contain electrical power until you need it... if your charging system isn't up to the task be it solar or whatever then it makes no difference what batteries you have..

OP
OP
Largejj
Aug 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 679
Exp
It amazes me that people get the whole power equation completely wrong.... its not the batteries themselves that is the limiting factor...its harnessing the power in the first place to put in to those batteries... all a battery whatever its design and construction is, is a store to contain electrical power until you need it... if your charging system isn't up to the task be it solar or whatever then it makes no difference what batteries you have.

OP
OP
Largejj
Aug 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 679
Exp
I agree with you but if you have larger storage capacity and know if you have power available in next few days then you can plan to use your storage more to save on gas etc. In my case I have 500w solar or 60 amp B2B. In fact i have found if my batteries are full the solar mppt (VictronConnect) runs warmer as it dissipates the current available from solar. So all the more reason to plan ahead arms use the free energy on whatever you want to use.

for me I don’t want to loose any flexibility so want to keep 3 way fridge so all options are open.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The problem with that is the 15 x minute delay (on AES models) before firing up on another power source, ie, if the sun clouds over a couple of times in an hour, you could end up with at least 30 x minutes of no power to the fridge/freezer. If that happens several times a day, and you need to keep the f/f at certain temperatures for meds, you might be struggling.
I have disconnected the AES connection from the solar controller for that very reason.

Cheers,

Jock.
It doesn't work like that only does that when switched via the D+ terminal, the solar reg connects to the S+ terminal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've recently done this with my AES fridge and Votronic 350. Currently I only have 160w of solar but plan to double it. With 160w it works fine but doesn't come on that frequently but I anticipate that with 320w it will be good in summer. It's simply :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: a question of running a wire from Votronic to fridge.
It works in 30 minute blocks so as not to flatten the batteries, a problem I found is due to the dumb firmware on the fridge which has solar as the prime source, if you are on EHU the Votronic will be giving an AES signal output once the batteries are charged and the fridge often switches to 12v. I've fitted a mains relay that disconnects the AES signal when on EHU.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Cheers,

It doesn't work like that only does that when switched via the D+ terminal, the solar reg connects to the S+ terminal.
Whilst I :notworthy2:to your greater knowledge on the subject Lenny, that was our experience on the Dometic RM7605 F/F, so we disconnected it. On the auto setting, it now changes over to gas when EHU voltage is low, or to 12v when the engine is running, or from gas to EHU when plugging in.

Cheers,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Whilst I :notworthy2:to your greater knowledge on the subject Lenny, that was our experience on the Dometic RM7605 F/F, so we disconnected it. On the auto setting, it now changes over to gas when EHU voltage is low, or to 12v when the engine is running, or from gas to EHU when plugging in.

Cheers,

That is because your fridge doesn't have an S+ connection & Martin wired it to the D+ using a diode to isolate it from the alternator D+.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back